Dentalium sentence example
- This is not always the case with Lamellibranchs; there is in the group a tendency for the corresponding edges of the mantle-skirt to fuse together by concrescence, and so to form a more or less completely closed bag, as in the Scaphopoda (Dentalium).
- A similar modification of the velum occurs in Dentalium and in Myzomenia among the Amphineura.
- An additional class was instituted for the reception of Dentalium and its few allies, and for this class Bronn's name Scaphopoda was used.
- " Anomia " (1854), " Mytilus " (1856), " Dentalium " (1856-1857), " Purpura " (1859), " Haliotis (1859), " Vermetus " (1860).
- At first supposed to be tubicolous Annelids, Dentalium and its allies were afterwards placed among the Gastropoda, to which recent authorities consider them to be closely related.Advertisement
- Both the vernacular name, "tooth shell," and the Latin name, Dentalium, refer to the resemblance of the shell to a long tooth.
- - Diagram of the Organization of Dentalium, Left-side View.
- - Dentalium vulgare, Da A, Ventral view of the animal removed from its shell.
- um, aged one and to a depth of 2500 fathoms. Fossil remains Dentalium, a half days; ventral are first found in the Silurian, but become most abundant from the Cretaceous onwards.
- Dentalium: posterior aperture of shell entire, without incision.Advertisement
- 1883); Boissevain, "Beitrage zur Anatomie and Histologie von Dentalium," Jenaische Zeitschr.
- (d) Univalvia absque spira regulari: Patella, Dentalium, Serpula, Teredo, Sabella.