Denotative sentence example
- Herodotus, like Homer, has a denotative as well as a connotative use.
- denotative meaning is what the dictionary attempts to provide.
- denotative truth put down by scribes acting as instruments of God.
- Most semioticians argue that no sign is purely denotative - lacking connotation.
- The fundamental principles of his system (see Scholasticism) are that "Essentia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" ("Occam's Razor"), that nouns, like algebraical symbols, are merely denotative terms whose meaning is conventionally agreed upon (suppositio), and that the destructive effect of these principles in theological matters does not in any way destroy faith (see the Centilogium Theologicum, Lyons, 1495, and Tractatus de Sacramento Altaris).Advertisement