Demes sentence example
- For the Attic Demes, A.
- The Athenians honoured him with a statue and a shrine, and one of the Attic demes was named after him.
- In many cases these heroes were purely fictitious; such were the supposed ancestors of the noble and priestly families of Attica and elsewhere (Butadae at Athens, Branchidae at Miletus Ceryces at Eleusis), of the eponymi of the tribes and demes.
- On the other hand, it is likely that these unions lacked the characteristic of federation in that the units could hardly be described as having any sovereign power: at the most they had some municipal autonomy as in the case of the Cleisthenic demes.
- Hence the name was supposed to go back to the time of Theseus, the reputed author of the reorganization of Attica and its demes.Advertisement
- In Attica the parasites appear to have been confined to certain demes (Acharnae, Diomeia), and were appointed by the demes to which the temples belonged.
- We have also studied S. pupula demes using molecular sequence data, from 18S rDNA, ITS and rbc L sequences.
- That we are not justified in judging of the ancient condition of the soil by the aridity which prevails at the present day, is shown by the fact that out of the demes (see Cleisthenes) into which Attica was divided, one-tenth were named from trees or plants.