Decemviri sentence example
- 8, 8), and soon afterwards became a member of the board of decemviri stlitibus judicandis, which was associated with the praetor in the presidency of the centumviral court.
- In the same year (451) he was made one of the decemviri who had been appointed to draw up a code of written laws.
- DECEMVIRI (" the ten men"), the name applied by the Romans to any official commision of ten.
- It was an Ephesian follower of his, Hermodorus, who aided the Decemviri at Rome in their compilation of a system of law.
- Whatever may be their origin - and they came from Cumae - they were placed in the Capitoline temple under the care of a special commission of two (duoviri sacris faciundis, later decemviri and quindecimviri), and their "oracles," which were referred to in times of great national stress, recommended the introduction of foreign cults.Advertisement
- The following are the names of the six boards: (I) Tresviri capitales (see Tresviri); (2) Tresviri monetales; (3) Quatuorviri viis in urbe purgandis, who had the care of the streets and roads inside the city; (4) Duoviri viis extra urbem purgandis '(see DuovIRI), abolished by Augustus; (5) Decemviri stlitibus judicandis (see DECEMvIRI); (6) Quatuor praefecti Capuam Cumas, abolished by Augustus.