Deadening sentence example
- Well trained as was the civil service of France, the effect of this supervision in deadening activity was sometimes more marked than in its effect in preventing abuse.
- Fesal may well have watched with jealous anxiety the growing strength of his neighbour's state as compared with his own, where all progress was arrested by the deadening tyranny of religious fanaticism.
- A system so inelastic, and so deadening to all initiative, could have but one result.
- The female figure is largely made use of, and rich and harmonious colours are sought, the glitter of metal being invariably subdued by deadening its lustre, or by patinas and oxides.
- Alphonso was now shaking himself loose from the deadening influence of the reactionary court, and was beginning to display a disconcerting interest in affairs, information about which he was apt to seek at first hand., The resignation of the see of Valencia by Archbishop Nozaleda was a symptom of the new spirit.Advertisement
- The wham-bam bloodiness of much American cinema (often emotionally deadening pap granted 15 certificates) is replaced by understated scenes of upsetting impact.
- I hope he will take the often deadening drug lithium in for especially close questioning.
- Silent contemplation and the total deadening of consciousness by perseverance for years in unnatural attitudes are among the commonest forms assumed by this mystical asceticism.
- The episode had a deadening effect on Helen Keller and on Miss Sullivan, who feared that she had allowed the habit of imitation, which has in truth made Miss Keller a writer, to go too far.
- Proper tuning, wiring, and sound deadening can vastly improve the performance of any given set of car stereo speakers.Advertisement
- The English word narcotic is derived from the Greek narkotikos, which means "numbing" or "deadening."