Damping-off sentence example
- the damping off of seedlingsand in saturated soils not only are the roots and root-hairs killed by asphyxiation, but the whole course of soil fermentation is altered, and it takes time to sweeten such by draining, because not only must the noxious bodies be gradually washed out and the lost salts restored, but the balance of suitable bacterial and fungal life must be restored.
- Pythium, which causes the damping off of seedlings, reducing them to a putrid mass in a few hours, and Phytophthora, the agent of the potato disease.
- Give auriculas and carnations abundance of air, but keep the roots rather dry to prevent damping off.
- Continue the forcing of roses, hyacinths, &c. Houses containing large-flowered Japanese chrysanthemums will require to be kept dry, airy and moderately warm to prevent " damping-off " of petals.
- Plant Houses, Frames, &c. - Carnations and picotees in pots must be kept rather dry to prevent damping off.Advertisement
- Some forms cause damping off of seedlings - e.g.
- chamomile flowers is also said to help control damping off fungal diseases.
- Pythium sp., which causes damping-off, is a major problem in cucumber cultivation in Finland.
- damping-off diseases of horticultural crops.
- damping-off fungi.Advertisement