Damme sentence example
- DAMME, a decayed city of Belgium, 5 m.
- In 1490 a treaty was signed at Damme between the people of Bruges and the archduke Maximilian, and very soon after this event the channel became completely closed up, and the foreign merchant gilds or "nations" left the place for Antwerp. This signified the death of the port and was indirectly fatal to Bruges as well.
- The marriage of Charles the Bold and Margaret of York, sister of Edward IV., was celebrated at Damme on the 2nd of July 1468.
- It will give some idea of the importance of the town to mention that it had its own maritime law, known as Droit maritime de Damme.
- The new ship canal from Zeebrugge will not revive the ancient port, as it follows a different route, leaving Damme and Ecluse quite untouched.Advertisement
- Damme, although long neglected, preserves some remains of its former prosperity, thanks to its remoteness from the area of international strife in the Low Countries.
- Damme >>
- Swellendam is one of the older Dutch settlements in the Cape, dating from 1745, and was named after Hendrik Swellengrebel (then governor of the Cape) and his wife, whose maiden name was Damme.
- BARRIER TREATY, the name given first to the treaty signed on 29th of October 1709 between Great Britain and the statesgeneral of the United Netherlands, by which the latter engaged to guarantee the Protestant succession in England in favour of the house of Hanover; while Great Britain undertook to procure for the Dutch an adequate barrier on the side of the Netherlands, consisting of the towns of Furnes, Nieuport, Ypres, Menin, Lille, Tournai, Conde, Valenciennes, Maubeuge, Charleroi, Namur, Halle, Damme, Dendermond and the citadel of Ghent.
- He invaded Flanders and took the chief towns within a week; but he had part of his fleet burned by the English at Damme, and had to burn the rest to save it from falling into their hands.Advertisement
- Johns safety, however, was secured in a more practical way when his bastard brother, William, Longsword, earl of Salisbury, made a descent on the port of Damme and burnt or sunk a whole squadron of the French transports.
- Modeled after Jean-Claude Van Damme, Johnny Cage (real name: John Carlton) was trained by martial arts masters and used his skills to make him a silver screen celebrity.
- Street Fighter was released starring Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile and Raul Julia as M.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme is a fine actor in his own right, but can't seem to get past the hammy dialogue to bring credibility to Street Fighter.