Daevas sentence example
- The daevas, unmasked and attacked by Zoroaster as the true enemies of mankind, are still, in the Gathas, without doubt the perfectly definite gods of old popular belief - the idols of the people.
- In the later, developed system the daevas are the evil spirits in general, and their number has increased to millions.
- The devil-worshippers, at their sacrifices, slay the ox; and this the daevas favour, for they are foes to the cattle and to cattlebreeding, and friends to those who work ill to the cow.
- While in India the conception of the asura had veered more and more towards the dreadful and the dreaded, Zoroaster elevated it again - at the cost, indeed, of the daivas (daevas), whom he degraded to the rank of malicious powers and devils.
- The very daevas are only the inferior instruments, the corrupted children of Ahriman, from whom come all that is evil in the world.Advertisement