Gabriel knew how sensitive the crypt in the basement was.
The lofty presbytery and the crypt under it belong to the i 2th century.
He explored the crypt, gaze going to the display of his mother on one wall.
It is remarkable for its large crypt and its towers, a fourth having been added in 1894, the gift of the emperor William II.
Portion of the crypt of the second period, built by Archbishop Roger (11 541191).
From the shadows of the crypt, Gabriel waited until the half-brothers were gone to dump the contents of the velvet dice pouch into his palm.
It was our father.s crypt, until yesterday, when Sasha stole our father.s body.
Stevenson, since dead, discovered in 1896 a small subterranean basilica in the catacomb of Santi Pietro e Marcellino on the Via Labicana, with pious acclamations on the plaster similar to those in the Papal crypt in St Calixtus.
I.ve sealed off the crypt with magic to keep Immortals from entering through the shadow world, and installed locks for those who wander where they shouldn.t be, Kris said.
The crypt contains the shrine of the bishop S.
Its crypt dates from 941, the choir from 1274-1300, the Late Gothic choir chapels from the 15th century, and the nave and transept from 1533-1554.
The chapel, the only remnant of the palace, is a beautiful Decorated structure with a vaulted crypt, itself above groundlevel.
The chancel of the church at Repton is assigned to the second half of the 10th century, though subsequently altered, and the crypt beneath is supposed to be earlier still; its roof is supported by four round pillars, and it is approached by two stairways.
The interior, a basilica with nave and two aisles, contains columns said to come from a temple of Minerva and a fine mosaic pavement of 1166, with interesting representations of the months, Old Testament subjects, &c. It has a crypt supported by forty-two marble columns.
Felix and Adauctus, discovered by Boldetti and afterwards choked up with ruins, was cleared again: the crypt, begun by Damasus and enlarged by Siricius, contains frescoes of the 6th-7th centuries.
In the crypt is the grave of a traveller, who succumbed to excessive drinking of the local wine known as Est, est, est.
The interior of the cathedral has been barbarously modernized, but the crypt is fine.
There was a gatehouse at each end and a chapel or crypt in the centre, dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury, in which Peter of Colechurch was buried in 1205.
The interior, which has a crypt in each transept, in the main preserves its original character.
1559), while in the crypt are preserved the hearts of the German emperors Conrad II.
The church of St Michael, founded by Bishop Bernward early in the 11th century and restored after injury by fire in 1186, contains a unique painted ceiling of the 12th century, the sarcophagus and monument of Bishop Bernward, and a bronze font; it is now a Protestant parish church, but the crypt is used by the Roman Catholics.
Technically, this was Sasha.s doing, for he had dragged the coffin out of the protected crypt and left the Immortals exposed.
He died at Knole on the 12th of October 1500, and was buried in the crypt of Canterbury Cathedral.
At one of the altars in this crypt occurred the miracle of Bolsena in 1263.
Ursus in 370-390, which had a nave and four aisles, was destroyed in 1734-44, only the (inaccessible) crypt and the round campanile remaining from the earlier structure; there are fragments of reliefs from a pulpit erected by Archbishop Agnellus (556-569) in the interior.
Giovanni Evangelista, erected by Galla Placidia in fulfilment of a vow made on her voyage from Constantinople, has been entirely rebuilt, though the columns are ancient (the Corinthian capitals are probably from a classical building), and the crypt may be original.
Francesco, as it has been called since 1261, when it came into the possession of the Franciscans, has been almost entirely modernized, except for the crypt and campanile (11th century).
Two festivals are held in the town, a less important one in October, the other, on the 24th and 25th of May, unique for its gathering of gipsies who come in large numbers to do honour to the tomb of their patroness Sara, contained in the crypt below the apse.
Brunelli in L'Arte, 1907, p. 47.) The crypt contains three ancient sarcophagi.
The eastern crypt, or confessio, extends under the whole of the choir and has three apses, like the upper church.
There are ten Roman Catholic churches here, among them being the beautiful minster, with a Gothic choir dating from 1250, a nave dating from the beginning of the 13th century and a crypt of the 8th century.
From this crypt a staircase led up to the basilica in which Pope Silvester was buried, and the whole plan of which was laid bare by De Rossi.
Explorations conducted in the cemetery of Domitilla in 1897-1898 brought to light a fine double crypt with frescoes representing Christ seated between six male and female saints; also an inscription relating to a new saint (Eulalius) in a cubiculum of the 3rd century.
With the exception of the crypt, the transepts are the oldest portions of the building now remaining.
The crowns suspended in churches suggested doubtless the sumptuous pensile luminaries, frequently designated from a very early period as coronae, in which the form of the royal circlet was preserved in much larger proportions, as exemplified by the remarkable corona still to be seen suspended in the cathedral at Aix-laChapelle over the crypt in which the body of Charlemagne was deposited."
Part of the walls and crypt remain of an abbey which dates from the foundation of a college of canons in 670.
On the 15th of August 1534, the Feast of the Assumption, they assembled in the crypt of the church of St Mary on Montmartre, and Faber, the only one who was a priest, said Mass.
High), designed by George Keller and built mostly of Ohio sandstone; in the base is a chapel containing a statue of Garfield and several panels on which are portrayed various scenes in his life; his remains are in the crypt below the statue.
The cathedral (dedicated to St Nicholas the Pilgrim, a Greek assassinated at Trani in 1094 and canonized by Urban II.), on a raised open site near the sea, was consecrated, before its completion, in 1143; it is a basilica with three apses, a large crypt and a lofty tower, the latter erected in1230-1239by the architect whose name appears on the ambo in the cathedral of Bitonto, Nicolaus Sacerdos.
The capitals of the pillars in the crypt are fine examples of the Romanesque.
Giovanni, situated near an ancient temple, are extensive and important, and include the ancient crypt of S.
The church of St Mary-le-Bow, in Cheapside, is built upon a Norman crypt, and that of St Olave's, Hart Street, which was Pepys's church and contains a modern memorial to him, is of the 15th century.
This church has various points of interest besides its Norman crypt, from which it took the name of Bow, being the first church in London built on arches.
The exception is the Guildhall of the City Corporation, with its splendid hall, the scene of meetings and entertainments of the corporation; its council chamber, library and crypt (partly opened to the public in 1910).
The cathedral was built between 973 and loos; the gallery round the back of the apse and the crypt have plain cubical capitals of this period.
The church was remodelled in 1139, to which period much of the existing structure belongs, including the richly sculptured west front and the open confessio or crypt, which occupies the eastern half of the church, raising the choir high above the nave.
With the exception of the crypt, which is older, the existing edifice was rebuilt in 1313.
The cathedral of St Benigne, originally an abbey church, was built in the latter half of the 13th century on the site of a Romanesque basilica, of which the crypt remains.
Of the town, possessing the unusual feature of a crypt and a holy well.
The Gothic abbey church dates from the 15th century, but its Romanesque crypt from the 12th.
Remarkable among the other old buildings are the town-hall, of the 14th century and restored in the 17th century, with a crypt, and the Petershof, formerly the episcopal palace, but now utilized as law courts and a prison.
The cathedral is modern, but the crypt, with twenty columns, is old, and the campanile dates from the 13th century.
On the wall of the Romanesque crypt, which was restored in 1896, is a rose-bush, alleged to be a thousand years old; this sends its branches to a height of 24 ft.
In the crypt of St Paul's Cathedral a memorial has rightly been placed to him as a statesman, not merely of Canada, but of the empire.
To this old track the name of " pilgrims' way " has been given, for along it passed the stream of pilgrims coming through Winchester from the south and west of England and from the continent of Europe by way of Southampton to Canterbury Cathedral to view the place of the martyrdom of Thomas Becket, in the north transept, to the relics in the crypt where he was first buried after his murder, in 1170, and the shrine in the Trinity Chapel which rose above his tomb after the translation of the body in 1220.
The floor of the church, built partly on the rock, partly upon foundations, and, at the east end, over a crypt, is on a level with the uppermost storey of the monastic buildings.
Begun by the Countess Matilda of Tuscany in 1099, after the designs of Lanfranc, and consecrated in 1184, the Romanesque cathedral (S Geminiano) is a low but handsome building, with a lofty crypt, under the choir (characteristic of the Tuscan Romanesque architecture), three eastern apses, and a façade still preserving some curious sculptures of the 12th century.
The crypt with the tomb of the patron saint dates from the original building.