Crofters sentence example
- The Crofters' Holdings (Scotland) Acts 1886, 1887 and 1888, confer on " crofters " special rights.
- A Crofters' Commission constituted under the acts has power to fix fair rents, and the crofter on renunciation of his tenancy or removal from his holding is entitled to compensation for permanent improvements.
- Sheep-farming on a large scale was next introduced, and the crofters were thrust into villages or barren corners of the land.
- Matters, however, were not really mended, and in 1884 a royal commission reported upon the condition of the crofters of the islands and mainland.
- As a result of their inquiry the Crofters' Holdings Act was passed in 1886, and in the course of a few years some improvement was evident and has since been sustained.Advertisement
- The crofters' houses have been rebuilt of stone and lime, and are superior to those in most parts of the Highlands.
- Scottish nationality was another source of enthusiasm with him; and in this connexion he displayed real sympathy with Highland home life and the grievances of the crofters.
- After 1841, however, the population in several Highland shires-in which the clearance of crofters to make way for deer was one of the most strongly-felt grievances among the Celtic part of the people-in the islands, and in some of the southern counties, diminished.
- The crofters of the Highlands and islands had their grievances also.
- During the first half of the 19th century wholesale clearances had been effected in many districts, and the crofters were compelled either to emigrate or to crowd into areas already congested, where, eking out a precarious living by following the fisheries, they led a hard and miserable existence.Advertisement
- It reported next year, and in 1886 the Crofters' Holdings Act was passed.
- After the passing of the act (1886) the Crofters' Commission in 15 years considered applications for rent and revaluation of holdings which amounted to £82,790, and fixed the fair rent at £61,233, or an annual reduction of £21,557; of arrears of rent amounting to £184,962 they cancelled £124,180, and also assigned 4 8, 949 acres in enlargement of holdings.
- I recognize that there are many landowners, farmers and crofters who remain genuinely concerned about public access.
- Crofters: Crofters organic raspberry fruit spread contains fruits grown in Europe and Chile.