Coypu sentence example
- The three remaining families of the Hystricoidea, of which one is African while the other two are chiefly South American, are very closely allied and often brigaded in a single family group. In the Capromyidae, which includes only the South American and West Indian hutias, the South American coypu and the African cane-rats, the tympanic bulla of the skull is hollow, the par-occipital process straight, the lachrymal small, and the cheekteeth rooted, with deep enamel-folds; the first front toe Leing occasionally absent.
- Of the few living representatives of the group, the genus Myocastor (or Myopotamus) is represented only by the South American coypu, M.
- coypu, which is aquatic in its habits, and measures about 2 ft.
- Is a rodent known in natural history as the coypu, about half the size of a beaver, and when unhaired has not more than half, generally less, the depth of fur, which is also not so close.
- The rodents are the most numerously represented order, which includes the coypu or nutria (Myopotamus coypus), the chinchilla (Chinchilla laniger), the tuco-tuco (Ctenomys brasiliensis), a rabbit, and 12 species of mice - in all some 12 genera and 25 species.Advertisement
- The coypu, sometimes called the South American beaver, inhabits the river-banks, and is highly prized for its fur.
- COYPU, the native name of a large South American aquatic rodent mammal, known very generally among European residents in the country as nutria (the Spanish word for otter) and scientifically as Myocastor (or Myopotamus) coypu.
- Coypu are abundant in the fresh waters of South America, even small ponds being often tenanted by one or more pairs.
- Should the water dry up, the coypu seek fresh homes.