Consorts sentence example
- The steady diminution of his crew by sickness, and the worn-out state of his remaining consorts, compelled him at last to collect all the survivors in the "Centurion."
- Besides the chief deities and their consorts, various minor ones, representing likewise patron gods of less important localities and in most cases of a solar character were added at one time or the other to the court of Marduk, though there is also to be noted a tendency on the part of the chief solar deity, Shamash of Sippara, and for the chief moon-god to absorb the solar and lunar deities of ]ess important sites, leading in the case of the solar gods to the differentiation of the functions of Shamash during the various seasons of the year and the various times of the day among these minor deities.
- of divine government of the universe, the recognition of a large number of gods and their consorts by the side of Marduk remained a firmly embedded doctrine in the Babylonian religion as it did in the Assyrian religion, with the important variation, however,.
- deities or demons of serpent-type with consorts.
- The connubial relations of the deities may thus be considered" to typify the mystical union of the two eternal principles, spirit and matter, for the production and reproduction of the universe."But whilst this privilege of divine worship was claimed for the consorts of all the gods, it is principally to Siva's consort, in one or other of her numerous forms, that adoration on an extensive scale came to be offered by a special sect of votaries, the Saktas.Advertisement
- Among these deities all kinds of relationships are displayed; consorts must be provided for the unwedded, and the family conception, as distinct from the regal, presents a divine father, mother and child.
- But at the prince consorts sugges~!on its language was considerably modified, and the responsibility for the outrage was thrown on the officer who committed it, arid not on the government of the Republic. It ought not to-be forgotten that this important modification was the last service rendered to his adopted country by the prince consort before hisfatal illness He died before the answer to the despatch was received; and his death deprived the queen of an adviser who had stood by her side since the earlier daysof her reign, and who, by his prudence and conduct, had done much to raise the tone of the court and the influence of the crown.
- There will be a baroque dance class, plus viols, recorder consorts, early brass and baroque orchestra.
- He'd known Tim his whole life and knew all of Tim's consorts and children by name, if not by sight.
- Pyramids were erected for queens as well as for kings, and the position of the queens was little inferior to that of their consorts, though, so far as monumental representations go, they always yielded precedence to the latter.Advertisement
- The word "chapel" was in this restricted sense first applied to places of worship belonging to the Roman Church in England, and was thus restricted to those attached to foreign embassies, or to those of the consorts of Charles I.
- In his marriages also he was influenced by political considerations, though to both his consorts he was an affectionate husband.