Congener sentence example
- The wild boar (shishi or si-no-shishi) does not differ appreciably from its European congener.
- This is the case of the bullfinch of the more western of these islands (Pyrrhula murina), the male of which, instead of the ruddy breast of its well-known congener (P. vulgaris), has that part of a sober mouse-colour.
- Like its Cape congener it occasionally partakes of honey, and is often destructive to poultry.
- This last, though less numerous than its congener, seems to range over the whole of the continent, breeding in the extreme north, while it has been obtained also in the Strait of Magellan and the Falkland Islands.
- Eminently first is a species of nightingale (uguisu), which, though smaller than,its congener of the West, is gifted with exquisitely modulated flute-like notes of considerable range.Advertisement
- Eastward of the range of the present species its place is taken by its congener C. caniceps, which is easily recognized by wanting the black hood and white ear-coverts of the British bird.
- In habits it is very similar to its congener of the Old World, and in winter it migrates to the Antilles and to Central and South America.
- But the uterine gills soon wither and are shed, and are replaced by other gills differing in no respect from those of its congener.