Compound-eye sentence example
- B, Section through compound eye (after Miall and Denny); C, organs of smell in cockchafer; (after Kraepelin); D, a, b, sensory pits on cercopods of golden-eye fly; c, sensory pit on palp of stone-fly (after Packard); E, sensory hair (after Miall and Denny); F, ear of long-horned grasshopper; a, Front shin showing outer opening and air-tube; b, section (after Graber); G, ear of locust from within (after Graber).
- The lateral eyes of Scorpio consist of groups of separate small lenses each with its ommatidium, but they do not form a continuous compound eye as in Limulus.
- Each such complex of cells underlying the lenticle of a compound eye is called an " ommatidium "; the entire mass of cells underlying a monomeniscous eye is an " ommataeum."
- The ommataeum, as already stated, tends to segregate into retinulae which correspond potentially each to an ommatidium of the compound eye.
- The compound eye of the king-crab (Limulus) is the only recognized instance of ommatidia in their simplest state.Advertisement
- At first the eyes consist of a few distinct facets on either side of the head; they increase in number as growth proceeds, and become aggregated to form the curious compound eye of the adult.