Common law marriage sentence example
common law marriage
- Before a common law divorce is necessary, it must be first determine whether or not common law marriage actually exists where the couple resides.
- If a common law marriage is legal in the state where the couple resides, then divorce papers would be filed the same way an officially married couple would file them.
- If common law marriage is not legal in the state where the couple resides, the couple cannot officially get divorced.
- Many people are a little confused as to the definition of common law marriage.
- In many states, a common law marriage is based on the amount of time a couple has lived together in one household.Advertisement
- In the majority of states, however, a common law marriage doesn't really exist.
- In the meantime, they set up house and established their own common law marriage.
- If a couple established a common law marriage in one state and moved to a state that doesn't recognize common law marriages, they would generally still be considered legally married.
- A couple who wants to end a common law marriage must go through a legal divorce.
- Ohio does recognize common law marriage.Advertisement