Collocations sentence example
- Introduction to unfamiliar collocations follows upon this, and, only so, is it possible finally to gather scattered examples into a conspectus as instances of one idea or law.
- Perhaps the standard might usefully make explicit reference to careful choice of vocabulary and to English usage, including conventional collocations.
- You will need to be able to identify common collocations, that is words that go together.
- How representative or typical such collocations are of actual language in use can now be tested against corpus evidence.
- They practice using the collocations by telling a partner whether the sentences are true or false for them.Advertisement
- Students are given incomplete collocations and semi-fixed expressions that appeared in the texts and try to complete them from memory.
- Open the collocation function by clicking on the collocation function by clicking on the Collocations icon or by choosing [Collocation] from the [Query] menu.
- He rejects the attempt to explain human personality as " generated by the material molecular aggregate of its own unaided latent power," and affirms that the " universe where the human spirit is more at home than it is among these temporary collocations of matter" is " a universe capable of infinite development, of noble contemplation, and of lofty joy, long after this planet - nay the whole solar system - shall have fulfilled its present spire of destiny, and retired cold and lifeless upon its endless way " (pp. 199-200).
- Translation units forming robust, unambiguous collocations (e.g. impart knowledge; trestle scaffold) will be listed without additional information.