Codfish sentence example
- The imports were raw and manufactured cotton, wool and silk, wheat and maize, coal, iron and machinery, dried codfish, sugar, rice, hides and skins, oils.
- In the coasting trade the exports are mostly pig-iron, codfish and some products of local industries and agriculture.
- Cod liver oil is produced by steaming the livers of codfish and then pressing them until they expel yellow, mildly fishy-tasting oil.
- Some excellent entrees are the squid and shrimp kebab, and the grilled codfish.
- Timber is largely imported from the United States, Sweden and Russia; coal from Great Britain; dried codfish from Norway and Newfoundland.Advertisement
- Codfish was perhaps the truest basis of her commerce, which soon came to include the West Indies, Africa and southern Europe.
- In the shoal waters about Juan Fernandez are found a species of codfish (possibly Gadus macrocephalus), differing in some particulars from the Newfoundland cod, and a large crayfish, both of which are caught for the Valparaiso market.
- The staple diet of the labouring classes and small farmers is fish, especially the dried codfish called bacalhdo, rice, beans, maize bread and meal, olive oil, fruit and vegetables.
- Crab pots are metal traps topped with wire mesh that contain herring or codfish as bait.