Cockle sentence example
- The common cockle is regularly used as food by the poorer classes.
- By means of this muscular foot the cockle burrows rapidly in the muddy sand of the sea-shore, and it can also when it is not buried perform considerable leaps by suddenly bending the foot.
- In other respects the anatomy of the cockle presents no important differences from that of a typical Lamellibranch.
- The usual size of the cockle in its shell is from I to 2 in.
- The cockle is liable to the same suspicion as the oyster of conveying the contamination of typhoid fever where the shores are polluted, but as it is boiled before being eaten it is probably less dangerous.Advertisement
- The industries include brewing, shipbuilding, copper and iron-founding, carriagebuilding and fellmongery; there are boot factories, engineering works, biscuit factories and smelting works at Cockle Creek.
- It seems needless to give references to the voluminous discussion in newspapers and periodicals concerning the authenticity of a wax bust of Flora acquired in 1909 for the Berlin Museum and unfortunately ascribed to Leonardo da Vinci, its real author having been proved by external and internal evidence to be the Englishman Richard Cockle Lucas, and its date 1846.
- The garden was designed with further recycled resources in mind using old chimney pots, railroad sleepers and cockle shells from the local beach.
- Interviewed under caution BP expressed surprise at the presence of undersized cockle.
- We are working to bring back the skylark, lapwing and corn cockle.Advertisement
- Under caution Harding denied any involvement with illegal cockle gathering.
- The tragic deaths of the Chinese cockle pickers have shed light on a dark corner our economy.
- Among the best known are those of the cockle or scallop shell of St.
- They are characterized by a carved cockle or scallop shell, often situated on the top of a desk or on the front of a chest.
- Some of those shells include mollusks, scallops, conical, cockle, and other several others similar in shape and size.Advertisement
- The two valves of the shell of the common cockle are similar to each other, and somewhat circular in outline.
- After a few days, when the mantle bearing the shell valves has developed so much as to enclose the whole body, the young cockle sinks to the bottom and commences to follow the habits of the adult..