Cockchafer sentence example
- It is said that 13,000 such olfactory organs are present on the feeler of a wasp, and 40,000 on the complex antennae of a male cockchafer.
- Strauss-Diirckheim in 1828 issued his great treatise on the cockchafer.
- cockchafer larvae live underground for a few years, feeding on the roots of plants.
- The root-feeding larvae of the cockchafer and allied members of the Scarabaeidae have a ridged area on the mandible, which is scraped by teeth on the maxillae, apparently forming a stridulating organ.Advertisement
- Such are the habits of the cockchafer (Melolontha vulgaris) and other species that often cause great injury to farm and a FIG.
- B, Section through compound eye (after Miall and Denny); C, organs of smell in cockchafer; (after Kraepelin); D, a, b, sensory pits on cercopods of golden-eye fly; c, sensory pit on palp of stone-fly (after Packard); E, sensory hair (after Miall and Denny); F, ear of long-horned grasshopper; a, Front shin showing outer opening and air-tube; b, section (after Graber); G, ear of locust from within (after Graber).