Coccus sentence example
- Coccus pinicorticis causes the growth of patches of white flocculent and downy matter on the smooth bark of young trees of the white pine in America.
- The organism Streptococcus pneumoniae is a non-motile, facultatively anaerobic, gram positive, encapsulated coccus, growing in pairs and short chains.
- Abstract Peptostreptococcus anaerobius is a Gram-positive anaerobic coccus anaerobius is a Gram-positive anaerobic coccus that is widely distributed in the normal human flora.
- (2) By far the majority of the described species (over woo) fall into the three genera - Micro- coccus (about 400), Bacillus (about 200) and Bactridium (about 150), so that only a quarter or so of the forms are selected out by the other genera.
- This secretion is caused by the puncture of an insect, Coccus manniparus.Advertisement
- The " ni-in " (also known as " axe ") is a small scale insect belonging to the genus Coccus, found in Yucatan, Oaxaca, Vera Cruz, Michoacan and other southern states, where it inhabits the spondia trees and produces a greasy substance called " ni-inea," which is much used by the natives as a varnish, especially for domestic utensils, as it resists fire as well as water.
- It consists of the females of Coccus cacti, an insect of the family Coccidae of the order Hemiptera, which feeds upon various species of the Cactaceae, more especially the nopal plant, Opuntia coccinellifera, a native of Mexico and Peru.
- Plantations of the nopal and the tuna, which are called nopaleries, are established for the purpose of rearing this insect, the Coccus Cacti, and these often contain as many as 50,000 plants.
- Since its introduction cochineal has supplanted kermes (Coccus ilicis) over the greater part of Europe.