Closed chain sentence example
- In classifying closed chain compounds, the first step consists in dividing them into: (1) carbocyclic, in which the ring is composed solely of carbon atoms - these are also known as homocyclic or isocyclic on account of the identity of the members of the ring - and (2) heterocyclic, in which different elements go to make up the ring.
- This conception led Kekule to his "closed-chain" or "ring" theory of the constitution of benzene which has been called the "most brilliant piece of prediction to be found in the whole range of organic chemistry," and this in turn led in particular to the elucidation of the constitution of the "aromatic compounds," and in general to new methods of chemical synthesis and decomposition, and to a deeper insight into the composition of numberless organic bodies and their mutual relations.
- From this closed chain now follow all the substances which are usually called aromatic compounds.
- Two distinct types of hydrocarbons exist: (1) those consisting of an open chain of carbon atoms - named the " aliphatic series " (i.XEicAap, oil or fat), and (2) those consisting of a closed chain - the " carbocyclic series."
- Having passed in rapid review the various types of compounds derived by substituting for hydrogen various atoms or groups of atoms in hydrocarbons (the separate articles on specific compounds should be consulted for more detailed accounts), we now proceed to consider the closed chain compounds.Advertisement
- The ureides of oxy-acids and dibasic acids form closed chain compounds (see Allantoin; Alloxan; Hydantoin; Purin).
- These exercises are usually classified as closed-chain exercise.
- In the case of leg exercise, closed chain implies that the foot is in a fixed position.
- The squat is the most common, multi-joint closed chain exercise.
- Since the leg press is a closed-chain exercise, some fitness trainers consider it preferable to the leg extension machine.Advertisement