Clifton Sentence Examples
In 1905 an art pottery was established for making "crystal patina" and "robin's egg blue" wares, in imitation, to a certain extent, of old oriental pottery, and Clifton India ware, in imitation of pottery made by the American Indians.
Below Bristol the valley becomes the Clifton Gorge, famous for its wooded cliffs and for the Clifton suspension bridge which bestrides it.
In 1745 Prince Charles Edward twice marched through Penrith, and a skirmish took place at Clifton.
In 1859 he was appointed successor to Brewster in the principalship of the United College of St Andrews, a position which he held until his death at Clifton on the 31st of December 1868.
The Bath, Clifton and West of England Zoological Society owns small but extremely well-managed Zoological Gardens, well situated on the edge of Clifton Downs.Advertisement
She is said to have died at Clifton, Yorkshire, in 1561, and was buried there or at Shipton.
In 1863 he went to Clifton College as first headmaster, remaining there for 15 years.
The retreat was admirably conducted; Lord George and Cluny fought a gallant and successful rear guard at Clifton; they escaped from Cumberland across the border, but Charles, against advice, left a doomed garrison in Carlisle.
The name is also given to the butterfly, Mazarine or Clifton Blue (Polyommatus Adonis).
After one year at Hope chapel, Clifton, he was called to the ministry of Argyle Independent chapel in Bath; and on the 30th of January 1791 he began the work of his life there, attracting hearers of every religious denomination and of every rank, and winning for himself a wide reputation as a brilliant pulpit orator, an earnest religious author, and a friendly counsellor.Advertisement
Bedfordshire is divided into nine hundreds, Barford, Biggleswade, Clifton, Flitt, Manshead, Redbornestoke, Stodden, Willey and Wiscamtree, and the liberty, half hundred or borough of Bedford.
To illustrate Decorated and Perpendicular the churches of Clifton and of Marston Moretaine, with its massive detached campanile, may be mentioned; and Cople church is a good specimen of fine Perpendicular work.
Among the most fashionable streets are Mount Curve, Clifton and Park avenues, all in the " West Division "or south-western quarter of the city.
This finer work was the outcome of his friendship with Lady Austen, a widow who, on a visit to her sister, the wife of the vicar of the neighbouring village of Clifton, made the acquaintance of Cowper and Mrs Unwin.
In January 1758 he left Virginia and lived in England until his death on the 27th of July 1770 at Clifton, Bristol.Advertisement
In April 1910 Leslie Hartley became a boarder at Clifton College, a public school on the edge of Bristol.
There is a farcical problem currently of a Clifton resident who applied to widen his gates to get a double buggy through.
On October the 8th 1868 the church was solemnly consecrated by the Bishop of Clifton - The Rt Rev Dr. Clifford.
Clifton represented some of his data graphically, see figs.
For a truly memorable outing ask for Melvin Clifton in Plymouth.Advertisement
It was then transported by packhorse to Byland's property at Clifton, just outside York, on the River Ouse.
Numbers have not grown as fast in Clifton as elsewhere as they seem to prefer gently sloping corrugated industrial roofing to chimney pots.
His parents received an urgent telegram at their home now at Wilford, Clifton Road, Heaton Moor.
Hobbes went on for a time living in the household; but his services were no longer in demand, and, remaining inconsolable under his personal bereavement, he sought distraction, in 1629, in another engagement which took him abroad as tutor to the son of Sir Gervase Clifton, of an old Nottinghamshire family.
He was educated at Clifton College, where he was head of the school in 1881 and edited the school magazine, and at Corpus Christi College, Oxford.Advertisement
Clifton did not kiss me because he does not like to kiss little girls.
Yet despite this, much of Clifton still retained a raffish charm which appealed across generations and classes.
The clock was put up in the late Seventies by the Clifton 's, who ran a tailor 's shop in Midland Road.
We are situated in the small village of Clifton Hampden, close to the River Thames.