Chthonian sentence example
- As a chthonian divinity she is accompanied by a snake; the myrtle, asphodel and narcissus (which Persephone was gathering when carried off by Hades) also are sacred to her.
- The cult of the heroes exhibits points of resemblance with that of the chthonian divinities and of the dead, but differs from that of the ordinary gods, a further indication that they were not " depotentiated " gods.
- The chthonian aspect of the hero is further shown by his attribute the snake, and in many cases he appears under that form himself.
- The conductor of souls was naturally a chthonian god; at Athens there was a festival.
- He is a god of storms; a god of light or a solar god; a chthonian god, one of the deities of the subterranean world, who could bring prosperity as well as ruin upon men, although in time his destructive qualities obscured the others.Advertisement
- As a chthonian power, she is worshipped at the Samothracian mysteries, and is closely connected with Demeter.
- His chief attribute as a chthonian god was a snake, the symbol of the yearly renovation of the life of nature.
- Some regard the legend as a chthonian myth, Aea (Colchis) being the under-world in the Aeolic religious system from which Jason liberates himself and his betrothed; others, in view of certain resemblances between the story of Jason and that of Cadmus (the ploughing of the field, the sowing of the dragon's teeth, the fight with the Sparti, who are finally set fighting with one another by a stone hurled into their midst), associate both with Demeter the corn-goddess, and refer certain episodes to practices in use at country festivals, e.g.