Its church has a choir dating from the fifth century.
The choir only is used for service.
He's singing like the choir lead at a church revival.
The cathedral contains other 14th-century and early Renaissance paintings, the former including some Passion scenes, the only certain work of Barna da Siena, and some fine choir stalls.
On the 2nd of February 1829 the woodwork of the choir was set on fire by Jonathan Martin, a madman.
The church is without aisles, and has a semicircular roof, and the choir is raised twelve steps above the floor of the nave.
The public meetings of the great oecumenical council (1431-1449) were held in the choir, while the committees sat in the chapter-house.
Occupying the site of a much earlier building, of which there are remains, the present church with its fine choir was built in the middle of the 15th century.
The old minster church, built in the middle of the 11th century, contains some fine choir stalls.
Schlick goes on to say the organ is to be suited to the choir and properly tuned for singing, that the singer may not be forced to sing too high or too low and the organist have to play chromatics, which is not handy for every one.
But the dean and chapter objected to the absence of a structural choir, nave and aisles, and wished to follow the medieval cathedral arrangement.
This, which is also known as bordonus, was developed out of the choir-staves, originally no more than sticks to lean on during the long services.
The abbey church of St Mary the Virgin is a stately cruciform building with central tower, the nave and choir having aisles and clerestory.
The choir opens into a beautiful cloister, the massive vaulting of which is supported on heavy piers adorned with statuary, between which intervene slender columns arranged in pairs and surmounted by delicately carved capitals.
The stalls in the choir, carved by Cristobal de Salamanca in 1588-1593, and the sculpture of the pulpits, as well as the iron-work of the choir-railing and some of the precious marbles with which the chapels are adorned, deserve notice.
According to this scheme only the old choir was left; the nave and transepts were to be rebuilt after the classical style, with a lofty dome at the crossing - not unlike the plan eventually carried out.
The eastern crypt, or confessio, extends under the whole of the choir and has three apses, like the upper church.
There are ten Roman Catholic churches here, among them being the beautiful minster, with a Gothic choir dating from 1250, a nave dating from the beginning of the 13th century and a crypt of the 8th century.
The choir-screen was sold to the South Kensington Museum in London for goo, this sum being devoted to the work of modern restoration.
Among its interior adornments is an onyx font, some fine wood carving in the choir, and the silver doors to the shrines of its chapels.
Mercuriale stands in the principal square, and contains, besides paintings, some good carved and inlaid choir stalls by Alessandro dei Bigni.
By the 16th century the almuce had become definitely established as the distinctive choir vestment of canons; but it had ceased to have any practical use, and was often only carried over the left arm as a symbol of office.
The rebuilding of the choir, begun about the same period, was not completed till about 1400.
The statuary of the lateral portals, the stained glass of the 13th century, and the choir-screen of the Renaissance are all unique from the artistic standpoint.
The monastic buildings have practically disappeared, but the church was a splendid building of various dates from Norman to Decorated, the choir and Lady chapel representing the later period.
The present beautiful choir was built by Dean Balshall (1465-1491), and in the reign of Henry VII.
The principal portal is a fine specimen of 12th-century Romanesque, and the lower part of the nave is of the same period; the choir and the transept are striking examples of the style of the 13th century.
The choir stalls are fine and elaborate specimens of tarsia and rich wood-carving - the work of Antonio and Pietro della Minella (1431-1441).
In the grounds of the residence called the Friars stands the shell of the apsidal choir of a Decorated chapel which belonged to a Franciscan house.
The principal Protestant church is a Gothic building dating from the end of the 13th century, with a fine tower, and a choir of later date (1410).
The parish church, with its two lofty towers, is substantially a Romanesque building of the 13th century, but the choir and transepts are Gothic additions of a later date.
Specially serious damage was done in the immediate neighbourhood of the chapel, but the finely moulded arches and the magnificent tracery of the east window survived in great part.