COUCY-LE-CHATEAU, a village of northern France, in the department of Aisne, 18 m.
She spent the summer at the chateau with a brilliant company; in the autumn she journeyed to Italy accompanied by Schlegel and Sismondi, and there gathered the materials of her most famous work, Corinne.
Diane retired to her chateau at Anet, where she died in 1566.
The Manufactoire Royale des Glaces was removed in 1693 to the Chateau de St Gobain.
Du chateau et de la chatellenie de Douai (Douai, 1877-87); C. Mine, Hist.
CHATEAU-THIERRY, a town of northern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Aisne, 59 m.
There are a Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, a pilgrimage chapel, dating from 1100, a ducal chateau, built by a son of the elector John George about the end of the 16th century (now utilized as government offices), classical, technical and commercial schools and a hospital.
About the middle of the 15th century, and thenceforth the chateau became a favourite residence of the French kings.
His violent disposition now led him to quarrel with a country gentleman who had insulted his sister, and his semi-exile was changed by lettre de cachet into imprisonment in the Chateau d'If.
Throughout his life he was an enlightened patron of letters and art, and it was at his orders that the chateau of Gaillon near Rouen was built.
He at once introduced himself to the distingu13hed French historian and diplomatist Robert Gaguin (1425-1502) and published a small volume of poems; and he became intimate with Johann Mauburnus (Mombaer), the leader of a mission summoned from Windesheim in 1496 to reform the abbey of Chateau-Landon.
Then Philip continued his great task, the conquest of Normandy, capturing the towns around the fortress of Chateau-Gaillard which Richard had built to command the valley of the Seine.
She entrusted to Philibert de l'Orme the building of her chateau at Anet, and it was for her that Jean Goujon executed his masterpiece, the statue of Diana, now in the Louvre.
He died at his chateau near Montpellier (Herault) on the 28th of November 1879.
The town has remains of old fortifications, among them the Tour Marguerite, and a chateau, now used as a law-court, dating from the 15th century.
In May 1314, by order of King Philip IV., she was arrested and imprisoned in the Chateau-Gaillard with her sisterin-law Marguerite, daughter of Robert II., duke of Burgundy, and wife of Louis Hutin, on the charge of adultery with two gentlemen of the royal household, Philippe and Gautier d'Aunai.
Gardens and parks abound; the palace garden is exceptionally fine, and in the same neighbourhood are the public gardens with the place of amusement known as the Chateau des Fleurs.
One turning-point in the rivalry was the treaty of Utrecht (1713), by which France gave up to Savoy the districts (all forming part of the Dauphine, and lying on the Italian slope of the Alps) of Exilles, Bardonneche, Oulx, Fenestrelles, and Chateau Dauphin, while Savoy handed over to France the valley of Barcelonnette, situated on the western slope of the Alps and forming part of the county of Nice.
The fall of Chateau-Gaillard, after a siege which lasted from September 1203 to April 1204, decided the fate of Normandy.
FRANCOIS DE LA CHAISE (1624-1709), father confessor of Louis XIV., was born at the chateau of Aix in Forey on the 25th of August 1624, being the son of Georges d'Aix, seigneur de la Chaise, and of Renee de Rochefort.
The Chateau Neuf (r 5th and 16th centuries) serves as barracks and prison.
In 1808 Napoleon met Charles IV., king of Spain, and his son Ferdinand at the Chateau de Marrac, near the town, and induced them to renounce their rights to the crown of Spain, which fell to Napoleon's brother Joseph.
The wines are made entirely from white grapes, and the methods of collecting the latter, and of working them up Analyses of Chateau Lafite of Different Vintages.'
15 at the chateau of Buchlau, in Moravia, an agreement which aimed at securing for Austria-Hungary the annexation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and for Russia the opening of the Dardanelles to Russian warships.
'Fenelon, Francois De Salignac De La Mothe' (1651-1715); French writer and archbishop of Cambrai, was born at the chateau of Fenelon in Perigord on the 6th of August 1651.
The town, which is said to occupy the site of the Roman Neomagus, belonged in the middle ages to the dukes of Lorraine, ruins of whose chateau are still to be seen.
To the chateau of Ropsha and murdered him there with his own hands.
In this part are the law court, the chateau and the hotel de ville (built in the 18th century), and a belfry tower of the 13th and 17th centuries is in the immediate neighbourhood.
In the chateau (13th century) now used as barracks, the emperor Napoleon III.
New France now rejoiced in a brief respite from her enemies, and during the interval Frontenac encouraged the revival of the drama at the Chateau St-Louis and paid some attention to the social life of the colony.
North-west of the town is Marienlyst, originally a royal chateau, but now a seaside resort.
JAMES DARMESTETER (1849-1894), French author and antiquarian, was born of Jewish parents on the 28th of March 1849 at Chateau Salins, in Alsace.
The old chateau of the family had been sold, but he bought a house called "Les Paillers" in the suburbs of Saint-LO, and there he lived, buried in his roses, for fifteen years.
1060), count of Anjou, Philip received from Fulk in 1069, as the price of his neutrality, Chateau Landon and the Gatinais.
Chateau Hathorn33 Hathorn RoadWarwick, NY 10990(845) 986-6099chateauhathorn.com/index.html Yesterdays Those looking to grab a burger or feast on king crab legs will adore Yesterdays restaurant on Main Street.
The quaint feel of the restaurant and the mouth-watering meals makes Chateau Hathorn a phenomenal place to enjoy a romantic dinner for two.
Chateau Hathorn What was originally the stone mansion of General John Hathorn during the Revolutionary War, is now a restaurant reminiscent of a European Chateaux.
The Chateau Hathornis serves specialties as pasta a la mode, smoked trout and escargot.
After enjoying a walk around the orchards and selecting your fruit, drive south of Warwick to Chateau Hathorn for fine dining.
Chateau Hathorn The Warwick Valley Winery and Distillery provides visitors with the chance to pick fresh apples and oranges in their orchards.
With fireplaces, oak staircases and ornate ceilings, the restaurant's dinner menu includes chicken, steak, wiener schnitzel and chateau briand.
Chateau Hathorn Celebrate a hiking milestone in high style with fine dining at Chateau Hathorn.
Chateau Hathorn Celebrate a hiking milestone in high style with fine dining at Chateau Hathorn.
Nature lovers can take advantage of the nearly 100 miles of trails embarking from the Chateau Lakes reservoirs, as well as fishing.
The Chateau Lodge offers a number of local dishes, featuring fish caught in the nearby East Twin Lake, as well as some of the greatest barbecue to be found in the state of Michigan.
The central feature of the estate is a château (375 X 150 ft.) of French Renaissance design, after the famous chateau at Blois, France.
The Chateau of the duc de Luynes, the translator of the Meditations, was the home of a Cartesian club, that discussed the questions of automatism and of the composition of the sun from filings and parings, and rivalled Port Royal in its vivisections.
Laon is the capital, and Soissons the seat of a bishopric of the province of Reims. Other important places are Chateau-Thierry, St Quentin and Coucy-le-Chï¿½au.
The chief buildings are the chateau, mainly of the 15th century, of which the massive donjon of the 11th century known as the Tour de Cesar is the oldest portion; and the abbey-church of Notre-Dame, a building in the Romanesque style of architecture, frequently restored.
He lived in imperial state, building himself the great Palais Cardinal, now the Palais Royal, in Paris, another at Rueil near Paris, and rebuilding his ancestral chateau in Poitou.
This enterprise, of which the expenses were defrayed by the Jacobin Club, made him well known to the revolutionary leaders; and he made himself still more conspicuous in organizing the great "Fete de la Liberte" on the 1 5th of April 1792, in honour of the released soldiers of Chateau-Vieux, with Collot d'Herbois.
Chateau-Thierry is built on rising ground on the right bank of the Marne, over which a fine stone bridge leads to the suburb of Marne.
Chateau-Thierry was formerly the capital of the district of Brie Pouilleuse, and received the title of duchy from Charles IX.
The principal buildings of Chateauroux are the handsome modern church of St Andre, in the Gothic style, and the Chateau Raoul, of the 14th and 15th centuries; the latter now forms part of the prefecture.
After six weeks' imprisonment in the Chateau d'If he returned to Paris, escaping, after the proscription of the regicides, to Brussels, where he died on the 15th of January 1827.
The chief pleasure-ground of Dresden is the Grosser Garten, in which there are a summer theatre, the Reitschel museum, and a chateau containing a museum of antiquities.
But certain regions previously won were lost in 1798-Aargau (1415), Aigle and Grandson (1475), Vaud (1536), and the Pays d'En-Haut or Chateau d'Oex (1555) From 1798 to 1802 the Oberland formed a separate canton (capital, Thun) of the Helvetic Republic. (W.
Above the town rises the chateau of the prince of Stolberg-Wernigerode.
The duke has residences in Brussels, where he has a famous collection of pictures, and at the chateau of Klemenswerth near Meppen.
The Vieux-Chateau, also in Grand Bayonne, dates from the 12th and 15th centuries and is built upon a portion of the old Roman fortifications; it is used for military purposes.
The Chateau Neuf, built in 1563 by the Spaniards, overlooks the old port.
The monastery of Sinaia, founded by Prince Michael Cantacuzino in 1695, was the residence of the royal family until the present chateau was built.
On the 13th of March 1809 seven of the conspirators broke into the royal apartments in the palace unannounced, seized the king, and conducted him to the chateau of Gripsholm; Duke Charles was easily persuaded to accept the leadership of a provisional government, which was proclaimed the same day; and a diet, hastily summoned, solemnly approved of the revolution.
This countship, the extent of which seems to have been practically identical with that of the ecclesiastical diocese of Angers, occupied the greater part of what is now the department of Maine-et-Loire, further embracing, to the north, Craon, Bazouges (Chateau-Gontier), Le Lude, and to the east, Chateau-la-Valliere and Bourgueil, while to the south, on the other hand, it included neither the present town of MontreuilBellay, nor Vihiers, Cholet, Beaupreau, nor the whole district lying to the west of the Ironne and Thouet, on the left bank of the Loire, which formed the territory of the Mauges.