Chapter-house Sentence Examples
The public meetings of the great oecumenical council (1431-1449) were held in the choir, while the committees sat in the chapter-house.
Though the precise locality is occasionally uncertain, the majority of the medieval synods assembled in the chapter-house of old St Paul's, or the former chapel of St Catherine within the precincts of Westminster Abbey or at Lambeth.
The chapter-house contains a pre-Reformation library which includes some valuable MSS.
The chapter-house, a magnificent ornate building, was built during the same period.
The beautiful cloisters on the south side of the cathedral, and the chapter-house beyond them, as well as the old churches of San Saturnino (Gothic) and San Nicolas (Romanesque), are also of interest to the student of architecture.Advertisement
The chapter-house, adjoining the choir, was built by Bishop Thomas Lauder (1395-1481) in 1469, and the vault beneath is the burial-place of the Atholl Murrays.
Adjoining the town hall is the Anglican cathedral of St Andrew, in the Perpendicular style; it has two towers at the west end and a low central tower above the intersection of the nave and transepts, with a very handsome chapter house.
The portcullis gate and a tower are all that remain of it; of the abbey which was at one time the finest in Wales, there still exist the external walls, with parts of the chapel, vaulted chapter-house, refectory and abbot's house.
The abbey, though greatly mutilated, is full of interesting details, and includes a lofty tower, a marble screen, a chapter-house, a notable east window, several fine tombs and an altar of St Francis.
There are considerable remains of the cloisters, chapter house and domestic buildings.Advertisement
The treasure, preserved in the former chapter-house, is rich in reliquaries, vestments and other objects of medieval church.
The aula (restored in 1879) was originally the chapter-house of the cathedral.
Francesco has an almost Renaissance facade, fine cloisters with a good 15th-century tomb, and a chapter-house with Giottesque frescoes.
In closest connexion with the church is the group of buildings appropriated to the monastic life and its daily requirements - the refectory for eating, the dormitory for sleeping, the common room for social intercourse, the chapter-house for religious and disciplinary conference.
It appears, however, from the inscriptions on the plan itself, that the north walk of the cloisters served for the purposes of a chapter-house, and was fitted up with benches on the long sides.Advertisement
There is also a separate chapter-house, which is wanting at St Gall.
The chapter-house opens out of the same alley of the cloister.
The chapter-house (C) always opened out of the east walk of the cloister in a line with the south transept.
On the other side of the chapter-house, to the south, is a passage (D) communicating with the courts and buildings beyond.
The dormitory, as a rule, was placed on the east side of the cloister, running over the calefactory and chapter-house, and joined the south transept, where a flight of steps admitted the brethren into the church for nocturnal services.Advertisement
The long gabled building on the east side of the cloister contained on the ground floor the chapter-house and calefactory, with the monks' dormitory above (M), communicating with the south transept of the church.
On the east side stands the two-aisled chapter-house (5), between which and the south transept is a small sacristy (3), and on the other side two small apartments, one of which was probably the parlour (6).
The monks' dormitory was in its usual position above the chapter-house, to the south of the transept.
The Austin canons' house at Thornton, in Lincolnshire, is remarkable for the size and magnificence of its gate-house, the upper floors of which formed the guest-house of the establishment, and for possessing an octagonal chapter-house of Decorated date.
The chapter-house, to the north-east of the main structure, suffered least of all the buildings, and contains a 'Prentice pillar, of which a similar story is told to that of the ornate column in Roslin chapel.Advertisement
The ruins, consisting of tower, choir, chapter-house, refectory and other apartments, are nearly hidden from view by their dense coating of ivy and the fine old trees, including many beautiful examples of copper beech, by which they are surrounded.
It consists of an outer court entered through a gatehouse, the church and chapter-house, with other buildings lying on the north side, partly surrounded by monastic dwellinghouses.
Earlier than the rest of the fabric (except the crypt) is part of the chapter-house and the vestry, adjoining the south side of the choir, and terminating eastward in an apse.
The two courts are divided by the main buildings of the monastery, including the church, the sanctuary (A), divided from B, the monks' choir, by a screen with two altars, the smaller cloister to the south (S) surrounded by the chapter-house (E), the refectory (X) - these buildings occupying their normal position - and the chapel of Pontgibaud (K).
The refectory stretches northwards at right angles to the cloister, which lies to the north of the church, having the chapter-house and sacristy on the east.
The cloisters are to the south, with the chapter-house, &c., to the east, with the dormitory over.
The recumbent monument placed upon the spot, and the windows in the chapter-house of the abbey, one of them a gift from Queen Victoria, were a tribute to his memory from friends of every class in England and America.
Behind them lie picturesque gardens which contain the ruins, the plan of which is difficult to trace, though the outlines of some portions, as the chapter-house, have been made clear by excavation.
There are beautiful remains of the priory church, chiefly Early English; but there is a chapter-house of ornate Norman work.
Of the great church hardly any fragments rise above ground-level, but the chapter-house, refectory and cloisters remain in part, and the ivy-clad ruins stand in a beautiful setting of woodland.
In the chapter-house a famous sarcophagus, with scenes illustrating the myth of Hippolytus, is preserved.
A large portion remains of the adjoining buildings, including chapter-house, sacristy, cloisters and dormitory.
The church contains some fine Decorated work, and the chapter house and parts of the conventual buildings may be traced.
The chapter-house, cloisters and other conventual buildings and remains lie to the south.
From the eastern walk a porch gives entry to the chapter house and the chapel of the Pyx.
St Stephen's chapel, originally built by King Stephen, was used from 1547 for the meetings of the House of Commons, which had been held previously in the chapter house of the Abbey.
These comprise portions of the church, including the fine west front, arcaded, with three Norman doors and a Perpendicular window, with the chapter-house, cloisters and conventual buildings.
There remain a fragment of the south wing of the transept, two sides of the decagonal chapter-house (1282) and the beautiful west gate-house, Early Perpendicular (1332-1388), with an oriel window on the east.
The lower masonry courses of the surviving fragment of the Chapter House are in bond with the east wall of the Sacristy.
If you're still nonplussed, then just take a wander and enjoy the animal carvings in the Chapter House.
The claustral buildings along the east range are reputed to be the finest in Scotland, and the Chapter House is particularly splendid.
Former Chapter House on north transept became Song School.
The first phase of this new building was the octagonal chapter-house with its elaborate vaulting and clustered central pillar.
This includes two cloisters, the great cloister surrounded by the buildings essentially connected with the daily life of the monks, - the church to the south, the refectory or frater-house here as always on the side opposite to the church, and farthest removed from it, that no sound or smell of eating might penetrate its sacred precincts, to the east the dormitory, raised on a vaulted undercroft, and the chapter-house adjacent, and the lodgings of the cellarer to the west.
The dormi- tory, as a rule, was placed on the east side of the cloister, running over the calefactory and chapter-house, and joined the south transept, where a flight of steps admitted the brethren into the church for nocturnal services.
We have the cloister (H) to the south, with the threeaisled chapter-house (I) and calefactory (L) opening from its eastern walk, and the refectory (S), with the kitchen (Q) and buttery (T) attached, at right angles to its southern walk.