Cavan Sentence Examples
It was Baird's misfortune that he was junior by a few days both to Moore and to Lord Cavan, under whom he had served at Alexandria, and thus never had an opportunity of a chief command in the field.
Cavan has some linen trade, and a considerable retail business is transacted in the town.
The chief mountains are Cuilcagh (2188 ft.), partly in Leitrim and Cavan, Belmore (1312), Glenkeel (1223), North Shean (1135), Tappahan (1110), Carnmore (1034).
On another occasion Patrick is reported to have overthrown a famous idol known as Cenn Cruaich or Cromm Cruaich in the plain of Mag Slecht (county Cavan).
Cavan has no buildings of antiquarian interest, but the principal county institutions are here, and the most conspicuous building is the grammar school, founded by Charles I.Advertisement
On Dec. 2 three British divisions under Lord Cavan took over the Montello sector, and a similar French force under Gen.
The early events of his life are obscure; but about 1152 we find him engaged in a feud with 0 Ruairc, the lord of Breifne (Leitrim and Cavan).
On the west the rivers are generally short and torrential, excepting the Erne, which drains the two beautiful loughs of that name in county Fermanagh, and the Shannon, the chief river of Ireland, which, rising in a mountain spring in county Cavan, follows a bow-shaped course to the south and south-west, and draws off the major part of the waters of the plain by tributaries from the east.
Granite is exposed along its axis from near Newry to Slieve Croob, and again appears at Crossdoney in county Cavan.
The new kingdom was composed of the present counties of Meath, Westmeath and Longford together with portions of Monaghan, Cavan, King's Co.Advertisement
Tyrone, Donegal, Armagh, Cavan, Fermanagh and Derry were parcelled out among English and Scottish colonists, portions being reserved to the natives.
Then in 1935 a new pseudonym was to take Cavan O'Connor to new heights of fame.
These lakes are expansions of the river Erne, which enters the county from Cavan at Wattle Bridge.