Catacomb sentence example
- This catacomb contains an unquestionable example of a church, divided into a nave and chancel, with a rude stone altar and bishop's seat behind it.
- At Taormina in Sicily is a Saracenic catacomb, also Taornlna.
- Stevenson, since dead, discovered in 1896 a small subterranean basilica in the catacomb of Santi Pietro e Marcellino on the Via Labicana, with pious acclamations on the plaster similar to those in the Papal crypt in St Calixtus.
- In 5890 the first Christian catacomb bearing a distinct date (491) was discovered.
- Catacomb of benches cut out of the tufa rock.Advertisement
- Just outside the south wall is a Roman necropolis, with massive tombs in masonry, and a Christian catacomb, and a little farther south a tomb in two stories, a mixture of Doric and Ionic architecture, belonging probably to the 2nd century B.C., though groundlessly called Dimensions in English feet.
- Fabian was martyred during the persecution under the emperor Decius, his death taking place on the 10th of January 250, and was buried in the catacomb of Calixtus, where a memorial has been found.
- In this sense the word " catacomb " has gained universal acceptance, and has found a place in most modern languages.
- - Plan of a supposed Church, Catacomb of Sant' Agnese.
- It is true that a catacomb is often connected with the earlier sand-quarry, and starts from it as a commencement, but the two are excavated in different strata, suitable to their respective purposes, and their plan and construction are so completely unlike as to render any confusion between them impossible.Advertisement
- Passing to Egypt, a small Christian catacomb at Alexandria is described and figured by de Rossi.'
- The tombs in some instances form subterranean groups more analogous to the general idea of a catacomb.
- Hot water was mixt with the wine in the Greek churches for some centuries, and this custom is seen in catacomb paintings.
- The man who drew in the dark catacomb the secret symbol of Christ was persecuted in a very different fashion.
- The churches are linked by carved channels and tunnels, which give the site the layout of a vast catacomb.Advertisement
- These conspiracy theorists claim that a catacomb of underground tunnels that connect around the globe still exist from the last cataclysm and have been revamped to accommodate those in power.
- In 1899-1900 were discovered two opposite cubicula in the catacomb of Santi Pietro e Marcellino.
- Quickly, he and the villagers force it into subterranean catacomb.