Castle Sentence Examples

castle
  • That is my castle in the air.

    620
    284
  • That castle cost a fortune to build.

    428
    215
  • The road leading to the castle was modern blacktop.

    318
    152
  • Your home will be your castle, and in your castle you will be secure.

    157
    89
  • He trailed Kiki out of the castle to the boulders a short distance from the walls.

    169
    116
  • He made his way through the castle with the black stones as he had many times during his long stay.

    65
    36
  • Most had attacked the castle while Darkyn.s personal guard went after Sasha.

    45
    20
  • They looked like two seated sentinels guarding the castle gate.

    57
    34
  • She'd said not a word for the two hour ride to my castle in the sky.

    61
    38
  • Mr. Marsh was the undisputed king of the castle, but he obviously acknowledged his wife as the queen.

    75
    55
    Advertisement
  • Dolbadarn Castle is a circular tower near the foot of Peris lake.

    32
    14
  • A courier who galloped to the castle in advance, in a troyka with three foam-flecked horses, shouted "Coming!" and Konovnitsyn rushed into the vestibule to inform Kutuzov, who was waiting in the hall porter's little lodge.

    44
    27
  • He led her to the uppermost floor of the castle, to a hallway with magnificent views of a green valley with towering trees.

    37
    21
  • Deidre sought to figure out what it was about the currents and subtle movement that kept her in place when she wanted to return to the castle, where it was warm.

    35
    20
  • Before his house was pulled down, when his comrades avoided it as "an unlucky castle," I visited it.

    37
    25
    Advertisement
  • He walked back into the castle, leaving her with burning cheeks.

    22
    13
  • From behind him, Toby tore out of the castle in a snowsuit.

    15
    7
  • I evacuated the castle, Kris said.

    25
    17
  • Alex is the traditional king of the castle and you are – at least to some degree – subservient.

    25
    18
  • The air was chilled, still and damp, like she imagined a castle dungeon would feel.

    13
    6
    Advertisement
  • With the castle flooded by demons, she didn.t know where she could take the vial to keep it from Sasha when he woke.

    13
    7
  • He'd lived in Tokyo before Rhyn dragged him to the castle as his charge d'affairs.

    10
    5
  • She walked through the castle quickly, not liking the quiet, and emerged into a courtyard leading to an expansive cobblestone driveway.

    10
    5
  • Kutuzov was occupying a nobleman's castle of modest dimensions near Ostralitz.

    17
    12
  • She retreated to the castle, up the back stairwell off limits to everyone but her, and to the warmth of her chamber.

    12
    8
    Advertisement
  • He loped along the trail through the forest and trotted into the park around the castle, where the person he least wanted to see awaited him with a glower and crossed arms.

    16
    13
  • Sasha was somewhere in the castle, and Gabriel was gone.

    9
    6
  • He entered the castle, following the scents up the back stairwell that Katie alone used to avoid the other Immortals.

    7
    4
  • He jogged through the castle and ran out into the snow, launching himself into the cold air as he changed into the bird form.

    8
    5
  • Hannah asked, her glowing gaze going to the castle again.

    12
    9
  • She began to wonder if he made it out of the castle.

    5
    2
  • It suffered much from the ravages of the Thirty Years' War, but the episcopal castle, then destroyed, was subsequently rebuilt, and in 1852 was converted by Louis Napoleon into a place of residence for widows of knights of the Legion of Honour.

    4
    1
  • Only when she was panting did she stop and look back to make certain no one from the castle could see her.

    9
    7
  • She recalled what sent her outside the castle, and her anger at Kris ratcheted up another notch.

    6
    4
  • Hoping they.d fix his Rhyn problem for him, he entered the castle and headed straight to the office of his personal secretary.

    8
    6
  • Now, you can send your soldiers to the castle where the demons are staging an attack, and rejoin the Council, or I can bury you here in your front yard.

    7
    5
  • He concentrated on which Sanctuary he wanted, the farthest from the castle, and lifted Sasha's body.

    6
    4
  • Almansa is built at the foot of a white limestone crag, which is surmounted by a Moorish castle, and rises abruptly in the midst of a fertile and irrigated plain.

    4
    2
  • The old castle was largely rebuilt in the 19th century.

    4
    2
  • It is commanded by a large castle.

    4
    2
  • Next, how soon can you all have your men to the castle to kill some demons?

    5
    4
  • The stream forms a loop round and almost encircles the castle, from which there are beautiful views of the sinuous valley and the opposite well-wooded heights.

    1
    0
  • The whole effect of the grim castle, the silvery stream and the verdant woods makes one of the most striking scenes in Belgium.

    1
    0
  • In order to undertake the crusade Godfrey sold the castle of Bouillon to the prince bishop of Liege, and the title of duke of Bouillon remained the appendage of the bishopric till 1678, or for 580 years.

    1
    0
  • At the extreme north-eastern end of the lake, on an islet which, when the water is low, becomes part of the mainland, stand the imposing ruins of Kilchurn Castle.

    1
    0
  • Its romantic surroundings have made this castle a favourite subject of the landscape painter.

    1
    0
  • In 1208 he destroyed the ancestral castle of Wittelsbach, the site of which is now marked by a church and an obelisk.

    1
    0
  • The latter seen from a distance resembles a medieval castle crowning a hill-top.

    1
    0
  • In 1727 he bought Betchworth Castle, near Dorking, where he passed the remainder of his life.

    1
    0
  • The old castle of Schwanenburg (formerly the residence of the dukes of Cleves), has a massive tower (Schwanenturm) 180 ft.

    1
    0
  • Of the old castle, called Nenagh Round, dating from the time of King John, there still exists the circular donjon or keep. There are no remains of the hospital founded in 1200 for Austin canons, nor of the Franciscan friary, founded in the reign of Henry III.

    1
    0
  • Albany had to blockade Margaret in Stirling Castle before she would surrender her sons, After being obliged to capitulate, Margaret returned to Edinburgh, and being no longer responsible for the custody of the king she fled to England in September, where a month later she bore to Angus a daughter, Margaret, who afterwards became countess of Lennox, mother of Lord Darnley and grandmother of James I.

    1
    0
  • Two years later she was reconciled to her husband, by whom she had no children; and, continuing to the end to intrigue both in Scotland and England, she died at Methven Castle on the 18th of October 1541.

    1
    0
  • To the south of this village, on the Rhine, was the castle of Eicholzheim, which acquired some celebrity as the place of confinement assigned to Pope John XXIII.

    1
    0
  • The strongly fortified castle which he erected at the same time had the unfortunate result of making the infant town an object of contention in the Thirty Years' War, during which it was five times taken and retaken.

    1
    0
  • Godollo is the summer residence of the Hungarian royal family, and the royal castle, built in the second half of the 18th century by Prince Anton Grassalkovich, was, with the beautiful domain, presented by the Hungarian nation to King Francis Joseph I.

    1
    0
  • The strong castle built by Robert de Romille in the time of the Conqueror was partly demolished in 1648, but was restored by the countess of Pembroke.

    1
    0
  • Of the ancient building of de Romille all that remains is the western doorway of the inner castle.

    1
    0
  • In the castle grounds are the remains of the ancient chapel of St John.

    1
    0
  • From this period dates the castle, and also the buildings of the university, founded by Gabriel Bethlen, and now used as barracks.

    1
    0
  • In 1483-5486 Giuliano della Rovere (nephew of Pope Sixtus IV., and afterwards himself Pope Julius II.) caused the castle to be erected by Baccio Pontelli, a little to the east of the ancient city.

    2
    1
  • Under the shelter of the castle lies the modern village.

    2
    1
  • In 1557, however, a great flood caused the Tiber to change its course, so that it no longer flowed under the walls of the castle, but some half a mile farther west; and its old bed (Fiume Morto) has ever since then served as a breeding ground for the malarial mosquito (Anopheles claviger).

    2
    1
  • He was born in 1225 or 1227, at Roccasecca, the castle of his father Landulf, count of Aquino, in the territories of Naples.

    1
    0
  • The remains of the old castle of the margraves have been converted into barracks.

    1
    0
  • In the 13th century it became the seat of Count Gerhard of Wesemael, who surrounded it with walls and built a castle.

    1
    0
  • Craignethan Castle on the Nethan, a left-hand tributary joining the Clyde at Crossford, is said to be the original of the "Tillietudlem" of Scott's Old Mortality.

    1
    0
  • In1730-1732the stricter party in the presbyteries of New Castle and Donegal insisted on full subscription, and in 1736, in a minority synod, interpreted the adopting act according to their own views.

    1
    0
  • In the neighbourhood are the ruins of Law Castle, Crosbie Castle and Portincross Castle, the last, dating from the 13th century, said to be a seat of the Stuart kings.

    1
    0
  • The highest office in connexion with the Cinque Ports is that of the lord warden, who also acts as governor of Dover Castle, and has a maritime jurisdiction (vide infra) as admiral of the ports.

    1
    0
  • Walmer Castle was for long the official residence of the lord warden, but has, since the resignation of Lord Curzon in 1903, ceased to be so used, and those portions of it which are of historic interest are now open to the public. George, prince of Wales (lord warden, 1903-1907), was the first lord warden of royal blood since the office was held by George, prince of Denmark, consort of Queen Anne.

    1
    0
  • Dr Phillimore's patent had a grant of the "place or office of judge official and commissary of the court of admiralty of the Cinque Ports, and their members and appurtenances, and to be assistant to my lieutenant of Dover castle in all such affairs and business concerning the said court of admiralty wherein yourself and assistance shall be requisite and necessary."

    1
    0
  • Neighbouring to the town are the ruined castle of Orkil, the watering-place Christiansminde, and the extensive orchards of Gammel Hestehave, where wine is produced.

    1
    0
  • From Stolze's investigations it appears that at least one of these, the castle built by Xerxes, bears evident traces of having been destroyed by fire.

    1
    0
  • The " castle of Istakhr " played a conspicuous part several times during the Mahommedan period as a strong fortress.

    1
    0
  • Ouseley points out that this castle was still used in the 16th century, at least as a state prison.

    1
    0
  • At the verge of the rock on the western side is the old baronial castle, erected by King John in 1185, which was the residence of the bishops till the 14th century.

    1
    0
  • Henry II., after landing at Waterford, received in Lismore castle the allegiance of the archbishops and bishops of Ireland.

    1
    0
  • He escaped from Brecknock Castle to Flanders, avoided Buckingham's fate, and devoted his energies during the next two years to creating a party in England and abroad in the interests of the earl of Richmond.

    2
    1
  • It is surrounded with walls and towers, and defended by a large moated castle of great strength.

    1
    0
  • The sites of Lindus, lalysus, and Camirus, which in the most ancient times were the principal towns of the island, are clearly marked, and the first of the three is still occupied by a small town with a medieval castle, both of them dating from the time of the knights, though the castle occupies the site of the ancient acropolis, of the walls of which considerable remains are still visible.

    1
    0
  • The castle of the Camminghas in the village of Ballum remained standing till 1810, and finally disappeared in 1829 after four centuries.

    1
    0
  • The German army invaded Italy in August 1132, and occupied Rome, all except St Peter's church and the castle of St Angelo which held out against them.

    1
    0
  • Its castle, built probably in Newmarch's time, or shortly after, was the most advanced outpost of the invaders in a wild part of Wales where the tendency to revolt was always strong.

    1
    0
  • It was destroyed in 1260 by Llewellyn ab Gruffydd, prince of Wales, with the supposed connivance df Mortimer, but its site was reoccupied by the earl of Lincoln in 277, and a new castle at once erected.

    1
    0
  • It was with the expectation that he might, with local aid, seize the castle, that Llewellyn invaded this district in December 1282, when he was surprised and killed by Stephen de Frankton in a ravine called Cwm Llewellyn on the left bank of the Irfon, 22 m.

    1
    0
  • No other important event was associated with the castle, of which not a stone is now standing.

    1
    0
  • Close by are the ruins of the castle of Sobroso, which played an important part in the medieval civil wars.

    1
    0
  • There is documentary evidence of a castle at Nantwich in the 13th century.

    1
    0
  • It contains two islands, Bisentina and Martana, the former containing a church constructed by Vignola, the latter remains of the castle where Amalasuntha, the daughter of Theodoric, was imprisoned and, strangled.

    1
    0
  • The interior is in the form of a basilica, the double aisles being borne by ancient columns, and contains ambones and a candelabrum of 1311, the former resting on columns supported by lions, and decorated with reliefs and coloured marble mosaic. The castle at the highest point of the town was erected in the 14th century.

    1
    0
  • To the north-east of Marienbad lies the small watering-place of KOnigswart; near it is a castle belonging since 1618 to the princes of Metternich, which contains an interesting museum, created by the famous Austrian statesman in the first part of the 19th century.

    1
    0
  • He delayed supporting the infantry till too late, and was repulsed; he allowed the royal army to march past his outposts; and a fortnight afterwards, without any attempt to prevent it, and greatly to Cromwell's vexation, permitted the moving of the king's artillery and the relief of Donnington Castle by Prince Rupert.

    1
    0
  • Meanwhile all hopes of an accommodation with Charles were dispelled by his flight on the 11th of November from Hampton Court to Carisbroke Castle in the Isle of Wight, his Flight object being to negotiate independently with the Scots, the parliament and the army.

    1
    0
  • Cromwell left London in May to suppress the royalists in Wales, and took Pembroke Castle on the 11th of July.

    1
    0
  • His son Fasilidas, or A'lem-Seged (1633-1667), was the builder of the castle which bears his name.

    1
    0
  • In 1868 it was much injured by the emperor Theodore, who did not spare either the castle or the churches.

    1
    0
  • The Portuguese were expelled by Fasilidas, but his castle was built, by Indian workmen, under the superintendence of Abyssinians who had learned something of architecture from the Portuguese adventurers, helped possibly by Portuguese still in the country.

    1
    0
  • The castle has two storeys, is 90 ft.

    1
    0
  • Christian Levantines were employed in its construction and it was decorated in part with Venetian mirrors, &c. In the same enclosure is a small castle attributed to Yesu I.

    1
    0
  • Views of the castle are given by Heuglin, Raffray and Powell-Cotton.

    1
    0
  • In 1550 a castle was built here by the prince of Kiev, and various privileges were bestowed upon the inhabitants.

    1
    0
  • Castle Grant, immediately to the north, is the principal mansion of the earl of Seafield, the head of the Clan Grant.

    1
    0
  • The castle of Helmond, built in 1402, is a beautiful specimen of architecture, and among the other buildings of note in the town are the spacious church of St Lambert, the Reformed church and the town hall.

    1
    0
  • It occupies a slight eminence, crowned by the ruins of a Moorish castle, and overlooking the Guadiana.

    1
    0
  • Montefrio is largely Moorish in character, and dominated by a Moorish castle.

    1
    0
  • She escaped to the castle of Canossa, where the great count of Tuscany espoused her cause, and appealed in her behalf to Otto the Saxon.

    1
    0
  • It was in her castle of Canossa that Henry IV.

    1
    0
  • Hunted to the ground and broken-hearted, Frederick expired at the end of 1250 in his Apulian castle of Fiorentino.

    1
    0
  • Immured in his castle at Pavia, accumulating wealth by systematic taxation and methodical economy, he organized the mercenary troops who eagerly took service under so good a paymaster; and, by directing their operations from his cabinet, he threatened the whole of Italy with conquest.

    1
    0
  • While the French directory saw in that province little more than a district which might be plundered and bargained for, Bonaparte, though by no means remiss in the exaction of gold and of artistic treasures, was laying the foundation of a friendly republic. During his sojourn at the castle of Montebello or Mombello, near I\Iilan, he commissioned several of the leading men of northern Italy to draw up a project of constitution and list of reforms for that province.

    1
    0
  • Capturing Rochester castle, John met with some other successes, and the disheartened barons invited Louis, son of Philip Augustus of France and afterwards king as Louis VIII., to take the English crown.

    1
    0
  • Green calls this king, had not, however, given up the struggle, and he was still in the field when he was taken ill, dying in Newark castle on the 19th of October 1216.

    1
    0
  • One was found in Dover castle about 1630.

    1
    0
  • While besieging the castle of Viana, held by the rebellious count of Lerin, he was killed (March 12, 1507).

    1
    0
  • Leaving his aunt, Matilda, abbess of Quedlinburg, as regent of Germany, Otto, in February 99 8, led Gregory back to Rome, took the castle of St Angelo by storm and put Crescentius to death.

    1
    0
  • On the left bank of the Lys is the Oudeburg (s'Gravenstein, Château des Contes), the former castle of the first counts of Flanders, dating from 1180 and now restored.

    1
    0
  • It is mentioned so early as the 7th century and in 868 Baldwin of the Iron Arm, first count of Flanders, who had been entrusted by Charles the Bald with the defence of the northern marches, built a castle here against the Normans raiding up the Scheldt.

    1
    0
  • Seized by the invaders, castle and town were later retaken in 1231 by Prince Llewelyn ap Iorwerth, who burned the fortress and slew its garrison.

    1
    0
  • Scarcely a trace of the castle exists, although its site near St Clement's church is locally known as Tower Hill.

    1
    0
  • In retaliation Arran occupied and stripped his castle at Crichton, whereupon Bothwell in November sent Arran a challenge, which the latter declined.

    1
    0
  • In March 1562, having made up his quarrel with Arran, he was accused of having proposed to the latter a project for seizing the queen, and in May he was imprisoned in Edinburgh castle, whence he succeeded in escaping on the 28th of August.

    1
    0
  • He now stood forth as her champion; Mary took refuge with him at Dunbar, presented him, among other estates, with the castle there and the chief lands of the earldom of March, and made him the most powerful noble in the south of Scotland.

    1
    0
  • In June Mary and Bothwell fled from Holyrood to Borthwick Castle, whence Bothwell, on the place being surrounded by Morton and his followers, escaped to Dunbar, Mary subsequently joining him.

    1
    0
  • After the downfall of Mary, Bothwell's good treatment came to an end, and on the 16th of June 1573 he was removed to the castle of Dragsholm or Adelersborg in Zealand.

    1
    0
  • Sir John Howard served in Edward II.'s wars in Scotland and Gascony, was sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk and governor of Norwich Castle.

    1
    0
  • But Philip Howard, the son and heir, succeeded to the ancient earldom of Arundel in 1580, on the death of his maternal grandfather, while the Lord Lumley, his uncle by marriage, surrendered to him his life interest in the castle and honour of Arundel.

    1
    0
  • An act of 1627, one of several such aimed at aggrandizing families by diverting the descent of dignities in fee from heirs general, entailed the earldom and castle of Arundel upon Thomas, earl of Arundel and Surrey and the heirs male of his body "and for default of such issue, to the heirs of his body."

    1
    0
  • He conformed to the Church of England and spent a vast sum in restoring Arundel Castle.

    1
    0
  • The ducal castle is now occupied by the chief court of the Palatinate.

    1
    0
  • In December 1774, as a militia captain he assisted in the capture of Fort William and Mary at New Castle, New Hampshire, one of the first overt acts of the American colonists against the property of the crown.

    1
    0
  • It has an Evangelical church, two Roman Catholic churches, a synagogue and an old convent, now used as a lunatic asylum, and also the remains of a castle built in the 14th century by the Teutonic Order.

    1
    0
  • The Kasteel-Berg (Castle Mount), a northern buttress of the mountain, has its own peculiar flora.

    1
    0
  • The ruined castle served as the place of imprisonment of Frederick II.'s son Henry.

    1
    0
  • The castle and barracks, occupied by an Austrian garrison, stand on a cliff commanding a fine view of the city.

    1
    0
  • Not far from the scene of this conflict stands Balquhain Castle, a seat of the Leslies, now a mere shell, which was occupied by Queen Mary in September 1562 before the fight at Corrichie between her forces, led by the earl of Moray, and those of the earl of Huntly.

    1
    0
  • Several bishops of Lichfield are buried here, as Eccleshall Castle was the episcopal residence from the 13th century until 1867.

    1
    0
  • Sigeberht also founded a school in East Anglia, and on the arrival of an Irish missionary named Furseus he built him a monastery at Cnobheresburg, perhaps to be identified with Burgh Castle.

    1
    0
  • The keep of the castle dates from 1490, and much of the original building was demolished in 1689, a few years after its siege by Cromwell.

    1
    0
  • He was born at his mother's castle of Xavier or Xavero, at the foot of the Pyrenees and close to the little town of Sanguesa, on the 7th of April 1506, according to a family register, though his earlier biographers fix his birth in 1497.

    1
    0
  • The old castle, at one time the residence of the patriarchs of Aquileia, and now used as a prison, was erected by Giovanni Fontana in 1517 in place of the older one destroyed by an earthquake in 1511.

    1
    0
  • The castle, which occupies the site of a former Cistercian monastery, was, from 1622 to 1779, the residence of the dukes of HolsteinSonderburg-Gliicksburg, passing then to the king of Denmark and in 1866 to Prussia.

    1
    0
  • Count Henry of Schwerin, and conveyed with his son and many other valuable hostages to the inaccessible castle of Dannenberg.

    1
    0
  • At a short distance from the town is the Altenburg (1266 ft.), a castle occupied from 1251 onwards by the bishops of Bamberg.

    1
    0
  • Bamberg, first mentioned in 902, grew up by the castle (Babenberch) which gave its name to the Babenberg family.

    1
    0
  • The view of Warwick Castle, rising from the wooded banks of the river, is unsurpassed, and the positions of Stratford and Evesham are admirable.

    1
    0
  • Of the castle earthworks and fragments of walls remain.

    1
    0
  • Berkhampstead rose to importance with its castle, which is said to have been built by Robert, count of Mortain, and when the castle fell into ruin after 1496 the town also began to decay.

    1
    0
  • The 15th-century castle in the north-east corner of the town erected by the Venetians is a picturesque brick building.

    1
    0
  • It flows at first through rather monotonous country, but the latter portion of its course, from the village of Altenahr, over which tower the ruins of the castle of Ahr, or Are (10th century), is full of romantic beauty.

    1
    0
  • Across the river from the town ancient earthworks (Bucton Castle), of British origin, are seen, and a Roman road passing them, and running north and south is also traceable.

    1
    0
  • Sir John Norris was accordingly ordered to Ireland with a considerable force to subdue him in 1595, but Tyrone succeeded in taking the Blackwater Fort and Sligo Castle before Norris was prepared; and he was thereupon proclaimed a traitor of Dundalk.

    1
    0
  • On the 22nd of October 16 4 1 he surprised and captured Charlemont Castle; and having been chosen commander-in-chief of the Irish forces in the north, he forged and issued a pretended commission from Charles I.

    1
    0
  • Antrim, was named Shane's Castle.

    1
    0
  • In 1793 he was raised to the peerage of Ireland as Baron O'Neill of Shane's Castle, and in 1795 was created a viscount.

    1
    0
  • Conquered by Charlemagne, the most of the district was bestowed on the duke of Friuli; but in the 10th century the title of margrave of Carniola began to be borne by a family resident in the castle of Kieselberg near Krainburg.

    1
    0
  • She built a castle of great beauty and magnificence, ti ailed the Achilleion, in the island of Corfu, where she often o fsided.

    1
    0
  • The next castle was a royal residence from 1189 to 1371 and was occupied occasionally by William the Lion, Alexander II.

    1
    0
  • Not far away stand the ruins of the old castle of Dunphail.

    1
    0
  • Farther south is the forest of Darnaway, famous for its oaks, in which stands the earl of Moray's mansion of Darnaway Castle.

    1
    0
  • It occupies the site of the castle which was built by Thomas Randolph, the first earl.

    1
    0
  • Attached to it is the great hall, capable of accommodating l000 men, with an open roof of fine dark oak, the only remaining portion of the castle that was erected by Archibald Douglas, earl of Moray, in 1450.

    1
    0
  • It is preserved in a single MS. which was prepared at the command of Maximilian I., and was discovered as late as 1820 in the Castle of Ambras in Tirol.

    1
    0
  • Here, thirteen years later, Herwig and her brother Ortwin find her washing clothes by the sea; on the following day they attack the Norman castle with their army and carry out the long-delayed retribution.

    1
    0
  • Of the old castle, the gatehouse and other parts are of Norman construction, but the mansion near it was built by Sir Walter Raleigh.

    1
    0
  • Bishop Roger of Caen (1107-1139) built the castle, described by Henry of Huntingdon as scarcely inferior to that of Devizes, "than which there was none greater within the confines of England."

    1
    0
  • The town suffered severely during the civil wars, the castle being besieged by the parliamentary forces in 1642 and 1645.

    1
    0
  • In 1755 he retired from his shop to the house on the slope of the Castle Rock, still known as Ramsay Lodge.

    1
    0
  • Baena is picturesquely situated near the river Marbella, on the slope of a hill crowned with a castle, which formerly belonged to the famous captain Gonzalo de Cordova.

    1
    0
  • In the centre of the town are the ruins of the castle of the 15th century, occupied for a time by John Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee, when he held the office of sheriff of Galloway (1682).

    1
    0
  • It stands in grounds 4000 acres in extent, which include the White and Black Lochs and the ruins of Castle Kennedy, finely situated on the isthmus between the lakes.

    1
    0
  • This castle was erected in the reign of James VI.

    1
    0
  • Four miles west by north of Stranraer is situated Lochnaw Castle, the ancient seat of the Agnews, who were hereditary sheriffs of Galloway till 1747, when hereditable jurisdictions were abolished.

    1
    0
  • He entered Parliament for Barnard Castle as a Labour member, at a by-election in 1903.

    1
    0
  • The town of Tetschen originally lay on the south side of the castle rock, but after its destruction by a flood, it was moved in 10J9 to its present site.

    1
    0
  • It is a very old town situated on the Biela, and contains a 17thcentury castle, belonging to Prince Lobkowitz.

    1
    0
  • The borough is connected with the City of London by Blackfriars, Southwark and London bridges; the thoroughfares leading from these and the other road-bridges as far up as Lambeth converge at St George's Circus; another important junction is the "Elephant and Castle."

    2
    1
  • Near the "Elephant and Castle" is the Metropolitan Tabernacle, the original building of which, burnt down in 1898, became famous under the Baptist preacher, Charles Spurgeon.

    2
    1
  • On an eminence stands the ancient castle, entered by a gateway of the 13th century.

    1
    0
  • The Saxon fort of Alaric was replaced by a Norman castle built by William de Mohun, first lord of Dunster, who founded the priory of St George.

    1
    0
  • The northern portion of this, below the castle hill, is the older, while the part near the shore consists mainly of modern buildings of no great interest.

    1
    0
  • Above the village are the ruins of the castle of Rheingrafenstein (12th century), formerly a seat of the count palatine of the Rhine, which was destroyed by the French in 1689, and those of the castle of Ebernburg, the ancestral seat of the lords of Sickingen, and the birthplace of Franz von Sickingen, the famous landsknecht captain and protector of Ulrich von Hutten, to whom a monument was erected on the slope near the ruins in 1889.

    1
    0
  • In 1775 he was removed to the castle of Joux, to which, however, he was not very closely confined, having full leave to visit in the town of Pontarlier.

    1
    0
  • The affair ended by his escaping to Switzerland, where Sophie joined him; they then went to Holland, where he lived by hackwork for the booksellers; meanwhile Mirabeau had been condemned to death at Pontarlier for rapt et vol, and in May 1777 he was seized by the French police, and imprisoned by a lettre de cachet in the castle of Vincennes.

    1
    0
  • Knaresborough Castle was probably founded in 1070 by Serlo de Burgh.

    1
    0
  • To the south of the castle is St Robert's chapel, an excavation in the rock constructed into an ecclesiastical edifice in the reign of Richard I.

    1
    0
  • Opposite the castle is the Dropping Well, the waters of which are impregnated with lime and have petrifying power, this action causing the curious and beautiful incrustations formed where the water falls over a slight cliff.

    1
    0
  • Being forfeited by his grandson Eustace FitzJohn in the reign of Stephen, Knaresborough was granted to Robert de Stuteville, from whose descendants it passed through marriage to Hugh de Morville, one of the murderers of Thomas Becket, who with his three accomplices remained in hiding in the castle for a whole year.

    1
    0
  • During the 13th and 14th centuries the castle and lordship changed hands very frequently; they were granted successively to Hubert de Burgh, whose son forfeited them after the battle of Evesham, to Richard, earl of Cornwall, whose son Edmund died without issue; to Piers Gaveston, and lastly to John of Gaunt, duke of Lancaster, and so to the Crown as parcel of the duchy of Lancaster.

    1
    0
  • On the right bank of the river is the site of Lovat Castle, which once belonged to the Bissets, but was presented by James VI.

    1
    0
  • Three miles south of Beauly is Beaufort Castle, the chief seat of the Lovats, a fine modern mansion in the Scottish baronial style.

    1
    0
  • This was replaced by several castles in succession, of which one - Castle Dounie - was taken by Cromwell and burned by the duke of Cumberland in 1746, the conflagration being witnessed from a neighbouring hill by Simon, Lord Lovat, before his capture on Loch Morar.

    1
    0
  • The duke of Atholl's seats are Blair Castle and Dunkeld House.

    1
    0
  • He had been taken prisoner with other Royalists while besieging Cardigan castle on the 4th of February 1645.

    1
    0
  • Above the town is a medieval castle.

    1
    0
  • The Gothic church of Greyfriars (1866-1867) occupies the site partly of a Franciscan monastery and partly of the old castle of the town.

    1
    0
  • The picturesque ruins of Carlaverock Castle - the "Ellangowan" of Guy Mannering - are 8 m.

    1
    0
  • The castle, which is in an excellent state of preservation, is built of red sandstone, on the site of a fortress supposed to have been erected in the 6th century, of which nothing now remains.

    1
    0
  • Another great Domesday landholder was William Peverel, the historic founder of Peak Castle, whose vast possessions were known as the Honour of Peverel.

    1
    0
  • The remains of castles are few; the ancient Bolsover Castle is replaced by a castellated mansion of the 17th century; of the Norman Peak Castle near Castleton little is left; of Codnor Castle in the Erewash valley there are picturesque ruins of the 13th century.

    1
    0
  • Conveyed to Warwick castle he was beheaded on Blacklow Hill near Warwick on the 9th of June 1312.

    1
    0
  • Above the town are the ruins of the castle of Engelburg, destroyed by Turenne in 1675.

    1
    0
  • A castle in the town, of the 15th century, is restored to use as offices for the urban district council.

    1
    0
  • The birthplace of Bruce is not certainly known, but was probably Turnberry, his mother's castle on the coast of Ayr.

    1
    0
  • Shortly afterwards Bruce appears again to have sided with his countrymen; Annandale was wasted, while he, as Walter of Hemingford says, "when he heard of the king's coming, fled from his face and burnt the castle of Ayr which he held."

    1
    0
  • Bruce is reputed to have been one of the advisers who assisted in framing it; but a provision that his castle of Kildrummy was to be placed in charge of a person for whom he should answer shows that Edward, not without reason, suspected his fidelity.

    1
    0
  • In March 1318 the town and soon afterwards the castle of Berwick capitulated, and Bruce wasted the English border as far as Ripon.

    1
    0
  • His last years were chiefly spent at the castle of Cardross on the Clyde, which he acquired in 1326, and the conduct of war, as well as the negotiations for peace, had been left to the young leaders, Moray and Sir James Douglas, whose training was one of Bruce's services to his country.

    1
    0
  • Ever active, he employed himself in the narrower sphere of repairing the castle and improving its domains and gardens, in shipbuilding on the Clyde, and in the exercise of the virtues of hospitality and charity.

    1
    0
  • On the Schlossberg near the town are the ruins of the castle of the counts of Forbach, a branch of the counts of Saarbriicken.

    1
    0
  • The queen dowager and her daughter were carefully watched at Linlithgow, but on the 23rd of July 1543 they escaped, with the help of Cardinal Beton, to the safer walls of Stirling castle.

    1
    0
  • An English army under Lord Grey entered Scotland on the 29th of March 1560, and the regent received an asylum in Edinburgh castle, which was held strictly neutral by John Erskine.

    1
    0
  • The church of St Mary contains a chapel dedicated to St Edward, commemorating that Edward who was murdered at Corfe Castle in this neighbourhood, whose body lay here before its removal to Shaftesbury.

    2
    1
  • Mary, Peter and Ethelwold, and the site of the old castle may be traced.

    1
    0
  • The early castle, which existed before 1086, was important during the civil wars of Stephen's reign; in 1142 Robert, earl of Gloucester, on his departure for France, committed it to his son's charge.

    1
    0
  • The castle, built by Robert Guiscard, has been modernized, and so has the cathedral.

    1
    0
  • Marlborough was forthwith sent from the Hague to the castle of Altranst2dt near Leipzig, where Charles had fixed his headquarters, "to endeavour to penetrate the designs" of the king of Sweden.

    1
    0
  • There are some ruins of a castle erected as a protection against the Scots.

    1
    0
  • The town suffered much from the incursions of the Scots, and Ralph, earl of Westmorland, who died 1426, built the castle, but a tower called the Bishop's Tower had been previously erected on the same site.

    1
    0
  • During the Civil War the castle was dismantled by the Royalist commandant.

    1
    0
  • It is certain that Smerdis transferred the seat of government to Media; and here in a castle in the district of Nisaya he was surprised and killed by Darius and his six associates in October 521.

    1
    0
  • A Ragged School was opened on the Castle Hill, which has been the parent of many similar institutions elsewhere, though Guthrie's relation to the movement is best described as that of an apostle rather than a founder.

    1
    0
  • They occupied Thomson's house and Great Island (New Castle) and built the " Great House " on what is now Water Street, Portsmouth.

    1
    0
  • This settlement, with jurisdiction over all the territory now included in Portsmouth, New Castle and Greenland, and most of that in Rye, was known as " Strawberry Banke " until 1653, when it was incorporated (by the government of Massachusetts) under the name of Portsmouth.

    1
    0
  • In 1693 New Castle (pop. 1900, 581), then including the greater part of the present township of Rye, was set apart from Portsmouth, and in 1703 Greenland (pop. 1900, 607) was likewise set apart.

    1
    0
  • One of the first military exploits of the War of Independence occurred at New Castle, where there was then a fort called William and Mary.

    1
    0
  • The castle was erected by Alphonso of Aragon; the cathedral, consecrated in 1088, has a rose window and side portal of 1481.

    1
    0
  • The imperial officers imprisoned him at Vilvorde Castle, the state prison, 6 m.

    1
    0
  • The church of St Denis (13th and 16th centuries), and the ruins of a castle built by Catherine of Gonzaga, duchess of Longueville, in the early 17th century, are of little importance.

    1
    0
  • Castle Island has been fortified since the earliest days; Fort Independence, on this island, and Forts Winthrop and Warren on neighbouring islands, constitute permanent harbour defences.

    1
    0
  • It has two ancient buildings, the Nikolai-turm, built in 1455, and the old castle.

    1
    0
  • Adjoining the town is the beautiful park of Lord Dynevor, which contains the ruined keep of Dinefawr Castle and the residence of the Rices (Lords Dynevor), erected early in the 17th century but modernized in 1858.

    1
    0
  • The historical interest of the place centres in its proximity to the castle of Dinefawr, now commonly called Dynevor, which was originally erected by Rhodri Mawr or his son Cadell about the year 876 on the steep wooded slopes overhanging the Towy.

    1
    0
  • The castle ruins remain in the possession of the Rices, Lords Dynevor, heirs and descendants of Prince Cadell.

    1
    0
  • Dinefawr Castle and its estates were granted away by Henry VIII.

    1
    0
  • Two bravos were hired (one of them named Olimpio, according to Bertolotti, was probably Beatrice's lover), and Francesco was assassinated while asleep in his castle of Petrella in the kingdom of Naples (1598).

    1
    0
  • The slope on which old Tortosa stands is crowned with an ancient castle, which has been restored and converted into barracks and a hospital.

    1
    0
  • As the crusaders advanced to Jerusalem, says Raymund of Agiles (c. xxxiii.), it was their rule that the first-corner had the right to each castle or town, provided that he hoisted his standard and planted a garrison there.

    1
    0
  • The concentric castle, with its rings of walls, began to displace the old keep and bailey with.

    1
    0
  • At the seaward end of this promontory is the 13thcentury cathedral; behind which the belfries of four churches, at least as ancient, rise in a row along the crest of the ridge; while behind these, again, are the castle and a background of desolate hills.

    1
    0
  • At the foot of the dunes are the old towns and villages of Sassenheim, close to which are slight remains of the ancient castle of Teilingen (12th century), in which the countess Jacoba of Bavaria died in 1433.

    1
    0
  • Some of the prettiest Carinthian lakes are to be found near Villach, as the Ossiacher-see, on whose southern shore stands the ruined castle of Landskron, dating from the middle of the 16th century, the Wdrther-see and the small but lovely Faaker-see.

    1
    0
  • The town is dominated by the castle (now used as barracks), which was reconstructed in 1492 by the Venetians, after it had been burnt in 1487 by the count of Tirol.

    1
    0
  • In 1132 the emperor Lothair found the passage of the gorge above the site of the town barred by a castle, which he took and gave to one of his Teutonic followers, the ancestor of the Castelbarco family.

    1
    0
  • On Macatawa Bay are Ottawa Beach, Macatawa Park, Jenison Park, Central Park, Castle Park and Waukezoo.

    1
    0
  • The only remains of the ancient castle of Alengon are two towers of the 15th century, which serve as a prison, and a third of the 14th century known as the Tour Couronnee, to which they are united.

    1
    0
  • While he was absent upon one of them, his castle was surprised by the governor of Trebizond, and Theodora with her two children were captured and sent to Constantinople.

    1
    0
  • Both husband and wife were extreme examples of the licentious manners of the time, but they not unfrequently lived together for considerable periods, and nearly always on good terms. Later, however, Marguerite was established in the castle of Usson in Auvergne, and after the accession of Henry the marriage was dissolved by the pope.

    1
    0
  • Inigo Lopez de Recalde, son of Beltran, lord of the noble houses of Loyola and Onaz, was born, according to the generally accepted opinion, on the 24th of December 1491 at the castle of Loyola, which is situated on the river Urola, about 1 m.

    1
    0
  • When he arrived near Loyola he would not go to the castle, but lived at the public hospice at Azpeitia, and began his usual life of teaching Christian doctrine and reforming morals.

    1
    0
  • Selmeczbanya is encircled by high mountains, notably the isolated peak of the Calvarienberg (2385 ft.) on the S.W., on which are situated a castle and a church, and the Paradiesberg (2400 ft.) on the N.W.

    1
    0
  • Among other buildings are a picturesque old castle dating from the 13th century, now in ruins with the exception of a few rooms used as a prison; the new castle, used as a fire watch-tower; and the town hall.

    1
    0
  • The site is marked by a medieval castle bearing the name Bisenzo.

    1
    0
  • In 1533 the fortaleza, now the governor's palace, was begun at San Juan, and in1539-1584Morro Castle was erected at the entrance of the harbour.

    1
    0
  • In the following year, probably because he was dissatisfied with his share of the spoil, he assisted the Kentishmen in an attempt to seize Dover Castle.

    1
    0
  • It has an imposing Benedictine abbey, once a castle, but converted into a religious house in 1322, when Ottakar I.

    1
    0
  • It has been in large part rebuilt since a fire in 1836, and possesses a castle, with various collections, a museum of antiquities, an old town hall and churches.

    1
    0
  • For this service he was promoted in rank, and received a gift of the castle and isle of Indre, near Nantes.

    1
    0
  • On a hill behind the town are the ruins of a medieval castle, but no ancient Greek remains have been discovered, although some travellers have identified the site with that of the classical Pharae or Pherae.

    1
    0
  • Breda obtained municipal rights in 1252, but was first surrounded with walls in 1534 by Count Henry of Nassau, who also restored the old castle, originally built by John of Polanen in 1350.

    1
    0
  • In 1696 William, prince of Orange and king of England, built the new castle, one of the finest buildings of the period, which now serves as the military academy.

    1
    0
  • On the Sonnenberg (1600 ft.) lie the ruins of the castle of Trifels, in which Richard Ceeur de Lion was imprisoned in 1193.

    1
    0
  • Hotels and villas were built in the new part of the town that sprang up outside the picturesque walled fortress, and there is quite a contrast between the part inside the heavy, half-ruined ramparts, with its narrow, steep streets and curious gable-roofed houses, its fine old church and castle and its massive town hall, and the new suburbs and fishermen's quarter facing the estuary of the Bidassoa.

    1
    0
  • Alexander, overwhelmed with grief, shut himself up in Castle St Angelo, and then declared that the reform of the church would be the sole object of his life henceforth - a resolution which he did not keep. Every effort was made to discover the assassin, and suspicion fell on various highly placed personages.

    1
    0
  • The most important of the antiquarian remains are the ruins of the famous castle situated on a rocky height, originally covering with its precincts an area of over 8 acres, and containing in all eight round towers.

    1
    0
  • Below the castle is All Saints church, which suffered severely during the siege of the castle, but still retains some work of the 12th century.

    1
    0
  • The change was probably owing to the fact that Ilbert de Lacy, to whom the Conqueror had granted the whole of the honour of Pontefract, founded a castle at Kirkby, on a site said to have been occupied by a fortification raised by Ailric, a Saxon thane.

    1
    0
  • In 1642 the castle was garrisoned for Charles I.

    1
    0
  • For some time he was unsuccessful; but at last, with the aid of the regent, he arrested the preacher, and carried him to his castle of St Andrews.

    1
    0
  • On his return to St Andrews he took up his residence in the castle.

    1
    0
  • The friends agreed to visit the Castle twice a week and to look after the sick in any parish where the clergyman was willing to accept their help.

    1
    0
  • An elaborate plan of operations, which he described in detail in a letter to his brother after his arrest, had been prepared by Emmet, the leading feature of which was a simultaneous attack on the castle, the Pigeon House and the artillery barracks at Island bridge; while bodies of insurgents from the neighbouring counties were to march on the capital.

    1
    0
  • Without taking any step to verify it, Emmet put on a green and white uniform and placed himself at the head of some eighty men, who marched towards the castle, being joined in the streets by a second body of about equal strength.

    1
    0
  • The repressive measures following on the Test Act bore hardly upon him, and in December 1678 he was imprisoned in Dublin Castle for six weeks.

    1
    0
  • The ruins of the castle built in 1600 by Patrick Stewart, earl of Orkney, stand at the east end of the bay and are in good preservation.

    1
    0
  • Near the south-eastern promontory stands Muness Castle, now in ruins, built in 1598 - according to an inscription on a tablet above the door - by Laurence Bruce, natural brother to Lord Robert Stewart, 1st earl of Orkney.

    1
    0
  • Its castle, built on the site of an earlier British fortress, was destroyed (according to Leland) by the inhabitants to prevent its falling into the hands of Glendower.

    1
    0
  • The castle stands in the angle between the Ouse and the Foss immediately above their junction.

    1
    0
  • In the reign of Richard I., the citizens rose against the Jews, who fled to the castle.

    1
    0
  • Adjoining the cathedral is the castle, dating from 1471-1483, but restored and named the Albrechtsburg about 1676.

    1
    0
  • They were crossing the Euphrates, not far from the castle of Jaber, when the drowning of their leader by accident threw confusion into their ranks.

    1
    0
  • Nevertheless, John, who had been abandoned by the duke of Austria and imprisoned in the castle of Radolfzell, near Constance, was arraigned, suspended and deposed (May 29th), and himself ratified the sentence of the council.

    1
    0
  • The castle forms a picturesque ruin, consisting of the outer walls 44 ft.

    1
    0
  • Hugh, son of Roger, created earl of Norfolk in 1141, succeeded his father, and the manor and castle remained in the Bigod family until 1306, when in default of heirs it reverted to the crown, and was granted by Edward II.

    1
    0
  • On an account roll of Framlingham Castle of 1324 there is an entry of "rent received from the borough," also of "rent from those living outside the borough," and in all probability burghal rights had existed at a much earlier date, when the town had grown into some importance under the shelter of the castle.

    1
    0
  • Town and castle followed the vicissitudes of the dukedom of Norfolk, passing to the crown in 1405, and being alternately restored and forfeited by Henry V., Richard III., Henry VII., Edward VI., Mary, Elizabeth and James I., and finally sold in 1635 to Sir Robert Hitcham, who left it in 1636 to the master and fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge.

    1
    0
  • Krumau is principally celebrated because its ancient castle was long the stronghold of the Rosenberg family, known also as pani z ruze, the lords of the rose.

    1
    0
  • The castle, one of the largest and finest in Bohemia, preserves much of its ancient character.

    1
    0
  • The town itself is a pleasant residence, and contains a 16th century cathedral church, an 18th century bishop's palace, a 14th-16th century castle (formerly the residence of the counts of the Genevois), and the reconstructed convent of the Visitation, wherein now reposes the body of St Francois de Sales (born at the castle of Sales, close by, in 1567; died at Lyons in 1622), who held the see from 1602 to 1622.

    1
    0
  • Note the wooden castle on a mound, and the knight handing over the keys on his lance tip.

    1
    0
  • Probably no town in the kingdom has a nobler group of public buildings than those in Cathays Park, which also commands a view of the castle ramparts and the old keep. On opposite sides of a fine avenue are the assize courts and new town hall (with municipal offices), which are both in the Renaissance style.

    1
    0
  • There was first, on the site occupied by the present castle, a camp of about ten acres, probably constructed after the conquest of the Silures A.D.

    1
    0
  • In this period of anarchy the native princes of Glamorgan had their principal demesne, not at the camp but a mile to the north at Llystalybont, now merely a thatched farmhouse, while some Saxon invaders threw up within the camp a large moated mound on which the Normans about the beginning of the 12th century built the great shellkeep which is practically all that remains of their original castle.

    1
    0
  • Its builder was probably Robert, earl of Gloucester, who also built Bristol castle.

    1
    0
  • Geoffrey of Monmouth was at one time chaplain of the castle, where he probably wrote some of his works.

    1
    0
  • On the conquest of the district by the Normans under Fitz Hamon, Cardiff became the caput of the seigniory of Glamorgan, and the castle the residence of its lords.

    1
    0
  • The castle and lordship descended by heirship, male and female, through the families of De Clare, Despenser, Beauchamp and Neville to Richard III., on whose fall they escheated to the Crown, and were granted later, first to Jasper Tudor, and finally by Edward VI.

    1
    0
  • Through the daughter and granddaughter of the 7th earl the castle and estates became the property of the 1st marquess of Bute (who was created Baron Cardiff in 1776), to whose direct descendant they now belong.

    1
    0
  • Its most important early charter was that granted in 1340 by Hugh le Despenser, whereby the burgesses acquired the right to nominate persons from whom the constable of the castle should select a bailiff and other officers, two ancient fairs, held on the 29th of June and, 9th of September, were confirmed, and extensive trading privileges were granted, including the right to form a merchant gild.

    1
    0
  • A charter granted in 1421 by Richard de Beauchamp provided that the town should be governed by twelve elected aldermen, but that the constable of the castle should be mayor.

    1
    0
  • In 1581 Queen Elizabeth granted a confirmatory charter to the mayor and bailiffs direct without reference to the lord of the castle.

    1
    0
  • About 1153, Ivor Bach (or the Little), a neighbouring Welsh chieftain, seized the castle and for a time held William, earl of Gloucester, and the countess prisoners in the hills.

    1
    0
  • Outside the north-west angle of the castle, Richard de Clare in 1256 founded a Dominican priory, which was burnt by Glendower in 1404.

    1
    0
  • As to the castle and the Black and Gray Friars see Archaeologia Cambrensis, 3rd series, viii.

    1
    0
  • Huriel has a church of the 11th century and a well-preserved keep, the chief survival of a medieval castle.

    1
    0
  • The castle of Bourbon l'Archambault, which belonged to the dukes of Bourbon, dates from the 13th and 15th centuries.

    1
    0
  • The scanty remains of Blantyre Priory, founded towards the close of the 13th century, stand on the left bank of the Clyde, almost opposite the beautiful ruins of Bothwell Castle.

    1
    0
  • Calderwood Castle on Rotten Calder Water, near High Blantyre, is situated amid picturesque scenery.

    1
    0
  • It occupies a commanding position, while the remains of its walls, and of a fine Moorish castle on a rock that overhangs the town, show how admirably its natural defences were supplemented by art.

    1
    0
  • Soult and Marmont having begun to move to relieve the garrison, the assault was delivered on the night of the 7th of April, and Siege of though the assailants failed at the breaches, the Badajoz, carnage at which was terrible, a very daring escalade March 17 to of one of the bastions and of the castle succeeded, Apr117, 1812.

    1
    0
  • Some interesting manoeuvres now took place, Wellington moving parallel and close to Marmont, but more to the north, making for the fords of Aldea Lengua and Santa Marta on the Tormes nearer to Salamanca, and being under the belief that the Spaniards held the castle and ford at Alba on that river.

    1
    0
  • The allied army, raised by the junction of the Spanish troops in Galicia to 90,000, now concentrated near Toro, and moved towards the Pisuerga, when Joseph, blowing up the castle of Burgos, fell back behind the Ebro.

    1
    0
  • Sebastian, The castle surrendered on the 9th of September, August 31, the losses in the entire siege having been about - 1813' Allies 4000, French 2000.

    1
    0
  • With many others he was carried to the castle of Doune in Perthshire, but soon effected his escape.

    1
    0
  • It has an Evangelical church and an old castle and numerous medieval remains.

    1
    0
  • In 1452 the earl of Huntly crushed the insurrection led by the earl of Crawford at the battle of Brechin Muir, and in 1645 the town and castle were harried by the marquis of Montrose.

    1
    0
  • Brechin Castle played a prominent part in the Scottish War of Independence.

    1
    0
  • The picturesque ruins of Edzell Castle lie a mile to the west of the town.

    1
    0
  • Between Farnell and Brechin lies Kinnaird Castle, the seat of the earl of Southesk.

    1
    0
  • The castle dates from the days of the dukes of Zaringen (11th-12th centuries), the last of whom (Berchtold V.) built walls round the town at its foot, and granted it a charter of liberties.

    1
    0
  • Of the castle, the oldest building is St Margaret's chapel, believed to be the chapel where Queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm Canmore, worshipped, and belonging at latest to the reign of her youngest son, David I.

    0
    0
  • In Warriston cemetery (opened in 1843) in the New Town, were buried Sir James Young Simpson, Alexander Smith the poet, Horatio McCulloch, R.S.A., the landscape painter, the Rev. James Millar, the last Presbyterian chaplain of the castle, and the Rev. James Peddie, the pastor of Bristo Street church.

    0
    0
  • It was the birthplace of several well-known persons, among others of John Law (1671-1729), originator of the Mississippi scheme, Lauriston Castle being situated in the parish.

    0
    0
  • Among these are Craigcrook Castle (where Lord Jeffrey spent many happy years, and the gardens of which are said to have given Scott a hint for Tullyveolan in Waverley), and Ravelston House, the home of the Keiths.

    0
    0
  • To the south of the metropolis are Colinton (pop. 5499), on the Water of Leith, with several mansions that once belonged to famous men, such as Dreghorn Castle and Bonally Tower; and Currie (pop. 2513), which was a Roman station and near which are Curriehill Castle (held by the rebels against Queen Mary), the ruins of Lennox Tower, and Riccarton, the seat of the GibsonCraigs, one of the best-known Midlothian families.

    0
    0
  • At Dalmahoy Castle, near Ratho (pop. 1946), the seat of the earl of Morton, are preserved the only extant copy of the bible of the Scottish parliament and the original warrant for committing Queen Mary to Lochleven Castle in Kinross-shire.

    0
    0
  • Its picturesque castle, at least the oldest portion of it, probably dates from the 12th century.

    0
    0
  • Many interesting mansions were and are in the vicinity, amongst them Melville Castle, the seat of the Dundas Melvilles, and Auchendinny, where Henry Mackenzie, author of The Man of Feeling, resided.

    0
    0
  • Roslin Castle is romantically situated on the beautifully wooded precipitous banks of the Esk.

    0
    0
  • In May each year the sovereign appoints a representative as lord high commissioner to the General Assembly of the Established Church, who takes up his abode usually in the palace of Holyrood, and thence proceeds to the High Church, and so to the assembly hall on the Castle Hill.

    0
    0
  • Merchiston Academy, housed in the old castle of Napier, the inventor of logarithms, is another institution conducted on English public school lines.

    0
    0
  • An infantry regiment is always stationed in the castle, and there are in addition the barracks at Piershill (or " Jock's Lodge "), half-way between Edinburgh and Portobello.

    0
    0
  • It is probable that the Ottadeni built a fort or camp on the rock on which Edinburgh Castle now stands, which was thus the nucleus around which, in course of time, grew a considerable village.

    0
    0