Carinii sentence example
- Pneumocystis carinii was identified by immunofluorescence in only one (placebo) of 73 nasopharyngeal aspirates from children with pneumonia.
- The most common opportunistic infection in children with XHIM is a lung disease known as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).
- The most common telltale symptom, however, is PCP; in fact, the frequency of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in children with hyper-IgM syndrome was a useful clue to geneticists searching for the mutation that causes the disorder.
- Pneumocystis carinii causes pneumonia in immunosuppressed individuals such as patients being treated with chemotherapy or people with AIDS.
- Immunodeficient individuals are at higher risk for infection with Pneumocystis carinii and are frequently put on a regular preventive drug regimen of trimethoprim sulfa and/or inhaled pentamidine to avoid pneumocystis pneumonia.Advertisement