Carex sentence example
- Hygrophytes.Plants which are sub-evergreen or evergreen but it scierophyllous, and which live in moist soils; e.g., Lastraea lix-mas, Poa pratensis, Carex ovalis, Plantago lanceolala, and ihillaea Millefolium.
- A local aggrettion of a species other than the dominant one in an associion brings about a plant society; for example, societies of Ericd etralix, of Scirpus caespitosus, of Molinia coerulea, of Carex irta, of Narthecium ossifra gum, and others may occur within i association of Calluna vulgaris.
- The following plants, in England, are calcifuge: Lastraea Oreopteris, Holcus niollis, Carex ech-inala, Spergula arvensis, Polygala serpyllacea, Cytisu~
- On the whole, it consists of local species of some widely distributed northern genera, such as Carex, Poa, Ranunculus, &c., with alpine types of strictly south temperate genera, characteristic of the separate localities.
- In the alpine tracts of the north the narrowness of the valleys and the steep stony slopes strewn with debris, on which only lichens and mosses are able to grow, make every plot of green grass (even if it be only of Carex) valuable.Advertisement
- In the more damp and marshy places the bottom is covered with marsh trefoil, carex, smooth equisetum, and rush.
- Carex arenaria, the sea-bent, grows on sand-dunes and helps to bind the sand FIG.
- Other uncommon species may occur, such as hair sedge Carex capillaris, sheathed sedge C. vaginata and variegated horsetail equisetum variegatum.
- The vegetation is a relatively uniform area of S27 Carex rostrata Potentilla palustris tall-herb fen in which Sphagnum is found locally.
- It is Carex ' Sparkler ', and has beautifully variegated foliage.Advertisement
- Open, stony flushes of M11 Carex demissa Saxifraga aizoides mire are also well-represented.
- An additional interest is the presence of an eastern outlier of the mainly western M12 Carex saxatilis mire.
- The vegetation is characterized by M10 Carex dioica Pinguicula vulgaris mire.
- The more characteristically oceanic Carex Racomitrium moss-heath is represented by some good stands but is not so extensive.
- Northern species include yellow saxifrage Saxifraga aizoides and hair sedge Carex capillaris, both of which are locally abundant in flushed grasslands at Inchrory.Advertisement
- On Pen-y-ghent either mat-grass or purple moor-grass dominate the grassland and higher up this contains stiff sedge Carex bigelowii.