Carcassonne sentence example
- The Midi (Southern) has lines radiating from Toulouse to Bordeaux via Agen, to Bayonne via Tarbes and Pau, and to Cette via Carcassonne, Narbonne and Bziers.
- In reply to this the French sovereign despatched Andrew as his ambassador to the great Khan Kuyuk; with Longjumeau went his brother (a monk) and several others - John Goderiche, John of Carcassonne, Herbert "le sommelier," Gerbert of Sens, Robert a clerk, a certain William, and an unnamed clerk of Poissy.
- The capital is Carcassonne, and the department is divided into the four arrondissements of Carcassonne, Limoux, Narbonne and Castelnaudary, with 31 cantons and 439 communes.
- It forms the diocese of Carcassonne, and part of the province of the archbishop of Toulouse.
- Carcassonne, Narbonne and Castelnaudary are the principal towns.Advertisement
- Carcassonne is divided by the river Aude into two distinct towns, the Ville Basse and the Cite, which are connected by two bridges, one modern, the other dating from the 13th century.
- Carcassonne is the seat of a bishop, a prefect and a court of assizes, and has tribunals of first instance and of commerce, a chamber of commerce and a branch of the Bank of France.
- Carcassonne occupies the site of Carcaso, an ancient city of Gallia Narbonensis, which belonged to the Volcae Tectosages.
- From about 81 9 to 1082 Carcassonne formed a separate countship, and from the latter date till 1247 a viscountship. Towards the end of the 11th century the viscounts of Carcassonne assumed the style of viscounts of Beziers, which town and its lords they had dominated since the fall of the Carolingian empire.
- During the religious wars, Carcassonne several times changed hands, and it did not recognize Henry IV.Advertisement
- Carcassonne and Nimes were taken, Autun sacked.
- The revolt of the Pastoureaux who assembled at Paris in 1320 to go on a crusade was crushed by the seneschal of Carcassonne, whither they marched.
- Beyond Axat its course again lies through defiles which become less profound as the river nears Carcassonne.
- The Inquisition, however, operating unremittingly in the south at Toulouse, Albi, Carcassonne and other towns during the whole of the 13th century and a great part of the 14th, succeeded in crushing the heresy.
- Devi essere socio, prenotazioni confermate e garantite Carcassonne l'ostello. www.italian.hostelworld.com Ostelli New York - Prenota Online con Hostelworld.com Ostelli a New York.Advertisement
- You can hire your own houseboat and chug along at a gentle pace from Toulouse to Carcassonne, some 60 miles away.
- The viscounty of Carcassonne, together with that of Beziers, was confiscated to the crown in 1247, as a result of the part played by the viscount Raymond Roger against Simon de Montfort in the Albigensian crusade, during which in 1209 the city was taken by the Crusaders (see Albigenses).
- Carcassonne: A game published by Rio Grande Games where players must develop the land around the French City of Carcassonne.