Carboxylic-acids sentence example
- Its methyl derivatives yield the corresponding carboxylic acids when oxidized by potassium permanganate.
- It is probable that tetrahydro acids are first formed, which suffer rearrangement to orthoketone carboxylic acids.
- Amino derivatives similarly result from thio-ureas and a-haloid ketones; the oxy derivatives from a-sulphocyanoketones by the action of caustic alkali; and the carboxylic acids from chloro-aceto-acetic ester, &c. and thioamides.
- Oxy-acids are carboxylic acids which also contain a hydroxyl group; similarly we may have aldehyde-acids, ketone-acids, &c. Since the more important acids are treated under their own headings, or under substances closely allied to them, we shall here confine ourselves to general relations.
- Their alkyl derivatives readily oxidize to pyrazine carboxylic acids.Advertisement
- It has a strongly acid reaction, being almost comparable with the carboxylic acids.
- The oxypyridines may be prepared by distilling the corresponding oxypyridine carboxylic acids with lime, or by fusing the pyridine carboxylic acids with caustic potash.
- The subjoined table shows the chief homologues of pyridine: Pyridine carboxylic acids are usually prepared by oxidizing the homologues of the base; they also result as decomposition products of various alkaloids.
- Limpach, Ber., 1887, 20, P 947) Numerous carboxylic acids of quinoline are known, the most important of which are quinaldic, cinchoninic and acridinic acids.
- Four cyclo-heptene carboxylic acids are known.Advertisement
- It may be obtained synthetically by Fittig and Tollens's method (above); by Friedel and Craft's process, devised in 1877, of acting with aluminium chloride on a mixture of benzene and methyl chloride; this reaction leads to the production of higher homologues which may, however, break down under the continued action of the aluminium chloride; or by heating the toluene carboxylic acids obtained by oxidizing the higher homologues of benzene.
- aliphatic carboxylic acids.
- Phys., 1888 (6) 14, p. 435); by heating phenol carboxylic acids with baryta; and, in small quantities by the oxidation of benzene with hydrogen peroxide or nascent ozone (A.
- The benzothiazoles are a series of weak bases formed by condensing carboxylic acids with ortho-aminothiophenols (A.