Caput sentence example
- Okehampton (Oakmanton) was bestowed by William the Conqueror on Baldwin de Brioniis, and became the caput of the barony of Okehampton.
- Bernard himself initiated this policy by building a castle at Talgarth on the Upper Wye, but in 1091 he moved southwards, defeated the regulus of Brycheiniog, Bleddyn ab Maenarch, and his brother-in-law Rhys ap Tewdwr, the prince of south-west Wales, and with materials obtained from the Roman fort of Caer Bannau, built a castle at Brecon, which he made his caput baroniae.
- Union; the per caput deposit was $110 in 1902, and about one person in seven was a depositor.
- Thus the seven marvels of Jena are summed up in the Latin lines: - Ara, caput, draco, mons, pons, vulpecula turris, Weigeliana domus; septem miracula Jenae.
- It seems hardly better than a caput mortuum, out of relation to the original faith or the original facts that are held to have given it birth.Advertisement
- A branch from this road ran to Olbia (followed closely by the modern highroad and railway also), and was perhaps the main line of communication, though the itineraries state that the road from Carales to Olbia ran through the centre of the island by Biora, Valentia, Sorabile (near Fonni) and Caput Thyrsi.
- On the conquest of the district by the Normans under Fitz Hamon, Cardiff became the caput of the seigniory of Glamorgan, and the castle the residence of its lords.
- Young Oxenstjerna, haughty and violent, claimed, by right of birth and rank, to be caput legationis.
- The castle passed with the lordship or seigniory of Gower, of which it was the caput, into the hands of the De Braose family in 1203 (by grant from King John) and eventually it came by marriage to the Somersets and is still held by the dukes of Beaufort, whose title of barons de Gower dates from 1506.
- At eight bushels per caput, the people in these twelve states alone could produce 1,120,000,000 bushels, or 420,000,000 bushels more than will be required by the population of 133,000,000 expected by 1933.Advertisement
- Loop of Terebratulina caput serpentis.
- In July in a sonorous decree he proclaimed the sovereignty of the Roman people over the empire, but before this he had set to work upon his task of restoring the authority of Rome over the cities and provinces of Italy, of making the city again caput mundi.
- 1566 (caput xxi.
- But the most striking of the coast-belt flora are the tropical forms - the palm, mangrove, wild banana (Strelitzia augusta), tree-ferns, tree euphorbia, candelabra spurge and Caput medusae.
- It was the assessed value of status or caput.Advertisement
- When he took the kingly title in 1130 it became "Prima sedes, corona regis, et regni caput."
- France produced during the five years ending 1897 eight bushels of wheat per caput.
- Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam: I have a catapult.