Caporetto sentence example
- The disaster of Caporetto (Nov.
- At the battle of Caporetto, Badoglio commanded the same corps, the left wing of which was broken by Otto von Below's attack from the Tolmino bridgehead.
- 1917, but the Caporetto Commission of Inquiry rejected most of the criticisms made upon him.
- His administration of that department left much to be desired, as he permitted the Socialists to conduct a defeatist propaganda which was largely responsible for Caporetto.
- To those who maintain that Cadorna should have sacrificed everything in order to improve his defensive position in the Trentino sector, it may be answered that the line on which he stopped (or rather the modification of it necessitated by the retreat after Caporetto), properly prepared, backed by other lines in sufficient depth, and adequately served by new roads, was maintained until the end of the war.Advertisement
- CAPORETTO - The Italian offensive I of Aug.
- Krauss's left-hand division, the 55th (Bosnian), attacked the Vrsich-Vrata ridge, with the object of breaking through to the Isonzo and Caporetto.
- Lequis attacked in two columns, one on each side of the river, with instructions to drive straight for Caporetto, where, it was hoped, he would join with Krauss's Bosnians.
- Lequis's Silesians were approaching Caporetto.
- When Lequis was approaching Caporetto Cavaciocchi had nothing in hand but a squadron of cavalry and one battalion of infantry which had not yet reached its destination E.Advertisement
- But the break-through between Tolmino and Caporetto had made these positions untenable.
- The occupation of Caporetto threatened to open another route nearly as short, but the possession of Monte Maggiore and the Stol, together with Monte Matajur, gave good hope that the advance of the enemy might be quickly brought to a halt when it had outrun the protecting fire of its own guns.
- Roads had been built and gun positions prepared, and reservoirs made for water; trenches had been dug and strong redoubts constructed at various important points, though the defensive system was not completely finished when the enemy attacked at Caporetto.
- It should be said that on this occasion as at Caporetto the Italian gas mask proved very unsatisfactory.
- It will be clear from the narrative here given that the Caporetto disaster was not due solely to the cause which was at first generally accepted as the explanation of a defeat so sudden and so overwhelming.Advertisement