Cape province sentence example
- The river, here the boundary between the Cape province and Orange Free State, is crossed by a stone bridge 860 ft.
- Walfish Bay forms a detached portion of the Cape province of the Union of South Africa.
- The Dwyka conglomerate resembles the same bed in the Cape province.
- Politically the Cape province has had no separate history since the establishment of the Union in 1910.
- The western region, both plateau and coastlands, specially that part north of the Orange, is largely semi or wholly desert, while in the Cape province the terrace lands below the interior plateau are likewise arid, as is signified by their Hottentot name karusa (Karroo).Advertisement
- The great majority of the coloured inhabitants are Bantus of pure blood, but the total coloured population includes in the Cape province 298,334 persons of mixed blood (chiefly white and Hottentot) and in Natal 100,918 Asiatics.
- In 1909 an irrigation congress representative of all the governments of British South Africa was held at Robertson, in the Cape province.
- There is absolute freedom of testamentary disposition in the Cape province and in some other parts of South Africa.
- Of these members the Cape Province returns 51, the Transvaal 36, and Natal and Orange Free State 17 each.
- Parliament may alter the qualifications for the vote, but no law which would deprive coloured persons in the Cape province of the franchise can be effective " unless the bill be passed by both houses of parliament sitting together and at the third reading be agreed to by not less than two-thirds of the total number of members of both houses."Advertisement
- As in the Cape province coloured persons are qualified to vote, they are thus also qualified to be members of the provincial council.
- The qualifications of voters for the election of members of the House of Assembly are the same as those existing in Cape Colony at the establishment of the Union, and are as follows: Voters must be born or naturalized British subjects residing in the Cape province at least twelve months, must be males aged 21 (no distinction being made as to race or colour), must be in possession of property worth X75, or in receipt of salary or wages of not less than L50 a year.