Cantilevers sentence example
- In long-wall and in the work of mining pillars the roof will be supported on one side only, the overhanging beds acting as cantilevers.
- Lastly, some bridges are composed of cantilevers and suspended girders.
- The cantilevers are fixed to the shore side of the towers.
- The shore piers carry cantilevers projecting one way over the river openings and the other way over a shore span where it is secured to an anchorage.
- The cantilevers can stiffened suspension bridge, but atter the fall of the Tay bridge in 1879 this was abandoned.Advertisement
- The length of the cantilever bridge is 5330 ft., made up thus: central tower on Inchgarvie 260 ft.; Fife and Queensferry piers each 145 ft.; two central girders between cantilevers each 350 ft.; and six cantilevers each 680 ft.
- The outer ends of the shore cantilevers are loaded to balance half the weight of the central girder, the rolling load, and 200 tons in addition.
- The centre girder may be built on the cantilevers and rolled into place or lifted from the water-level.
- In this case the shore ends of the cantilevers are anchored to the abutments.
- Waddell has shown that, in some cases, it is convenient to erect simple independent spans, by building them out as cantilevers and converting them into independent - (5) The Poughkeepsie bridge over the Hudson, built 1886-1887.Advertisement
- The girders over the second and fourth spans are extended as cantilevers over the adjoining spans.
- The side girders rest on the cantilevers on 15-in.
- The girders weighing 2000 tons carry a double track for trains between the girders and on each side on cantilevers a trolley track, roadway and footway.
- The arms are elliptical in cross-section, diminishing from the nave to the rim, and are usually designed as equally loaded cantilevers, fixed at the nave and free at the rim.
- The information will be essential to properly design future " nanomechanical " sensors that use cantilevers, Bashir said.Advertisement
- The single crystal silicon proof mass is free-standing and held by two silicon cantilevers.