Canova sentence example
- The museum also contains drawings and letters of the sculptor Antonio Canova.
- Canova's statue of her as Venus reclining on a couch is well known.
- The Palazzo Tadini contains a gallery of old pictures, some sculptures by Benzoni and Canova, and a zoological collection.
- The city has a number of good statues, chief among which are copies of the Farnese Hercules (Victoria Square) and of Canova's Venus (North Terrace), statues of Queen Victoria and Robert Burns, Sir Thomas Elder's statue at the university, and a memorial (1905) over the grave of Colonel Light, founder of the colony, in Light Square.
- In Plaza Bolivar is a statue of Liberty by Pietro Tenerani (1789-1869), a pupil of Canova, and in Plaza Santander is one of General Francisco de Paula Santander (1792-1840).Advertisement
- In front of Prince Paskevich's castle stands an equestrian statue of the Polish general Joseph Poniatowski, and in the cathedral is the tomb of the chancellor Nikolai Petrovich Rumantsev, .by Canova.
- He died at Frascati on the 13th of July 1807, and was buried in the Grotte Vaticane of St Peter's in an urn bearing the title of "Henry IX."; he is also commemorated in Canova's wellknown monument to the Royal Stuarts (see James).
- St Peter's, indeed, is a monument of the history of art, not merely within these 120 years from the zenith of the Renaissance till the transition into Baroque - from Bramante, Raphael, Michelangelo, to Maderna and Berninibut down to the 19th century, in which Canova and Thorvaldsen erected there the last great papal monuments.