Canopus sentence example
- The tablet of Canopus shows that there were two festivals of Bubastis, the great and the lesser: perhaps the lesser festival was!held at Memphis, where the quarter called Ankhto contained a temple to this goddess.
- The " Canopus " (Capt.
- 30 and proceeded N., leaving the " Canopus " to remedy engine defects and bring on colliers.
- 65 W., closing at full speed on the " Good Hope," and the whole line began to close rapidly on the flagship. The " Canopus " was 300 m.
- J 1 Glasgow Otranto," which could only go 16 knots, it is possible that he might have attempted to fall back on the " Canopus," for the rest of his squadron was faster than von Spee's and he could have slipped away to the S.Advertisement
- during the night and picked up the " Canopus " next morning.
- He decided to fight, and sent the " Canopus " a message to this effect at 6:18 P.M.
- When the German squadron was sighted it would have been possible to fall back on the " Canopus," but this would have entailed the destruction of the " Otranto," which would have been overtaken by the enemy in two or three hours.
- Ammon (Zeus) continued to be the great god of Thebes in its decay, and notwithstanding that a nome-capital in the north of the Delta and many lesser temples, from El Hibeh in Middle Egypt to Canopus on the sea, acknowledged Ammon as their supreme divinity, he probably in some degree represented the national aspirations of Upper Egypt as opposed to Middle and Lower Egypt: he also remained the national god of Ethiopia, where his name was pronounced Amane.
- By the decree of Canopus, Ptolemy III.Euergetes introduced through the assembly of priests an extra day every fourth year, but this reform had no acceptation until it was reimposed by Augustus with the Julian calendar.Advertisement
- In 1866 Lepsius again went to Egypt, and discovered the famous Decree of Tanis or Table of Canopus, an inscription of the same character as the Rosetta Stone, in hieroglyphic, demotic and Greek.
- Brightness is particularly deceptive; thus Canopus, the second brightest star in the heavens, has probably a parallax of less than 0.01 ", and so also has Rigel.
- The remainder of his life he spent at Canopus, and Tro y near Memphis, where he died at the age of ninety-five.
- Canopus >>
- of the village are ruins supposed to mark the site of Canopus.Advertisement
- These transition effects incorporate proprietary Canopus Effects Technology and provide the power to create stunning and professional quality video transitions.
- 2 " Queen," " London," " Prince of Wales," " Implacable " and " Irresistible "; " Majestic " and " Prince George "; " Cornwallis " (Duncan class); " Swiftsure " and " Triumph "; " Vengeance," " Albion," " Goliath " and " Ocean " (Canopus class).