Canopic sentence example
- The ancient Canopic mouth of the Nile (now dry) was 12 m.
- In ancient times it was approached by the Canopic mouth, which was farther to the west.
- A little farther east the Canopic branch of the Nile (now dry) entered the Mediterranean.
- long and in places 16 wide, with an opening, supposed to be the ancient Canopic mouth of the Nile, into Aboukir Bay.
- This point is very near the present mosque of Nebi Daniel; and the line of the great east-west "Canopic" street only slightly diverged from that of the modern Boulevard de Rosette.Advertisement
- The fixed year of the Canopic decree under Euergetes (with 1St Thoth on Oct.
- (9) The Gymnasium and (10) the Palaestra are both inland, near the great Canopic street (Boulevard de Rosette) in the eastern half of the town, but on sites not determined.
- To the Greeks Amasis assigned the commercial colony of Naucratis on the Canopic branch of the Nile, and when the temple of Delphi was burnt he contributed I 000 talents to the rebuilding.
- It was called Bolbitine by the Greeks, but according to Herodotus the Bolbitine mouth was artificial, and it was evidently of little importance compared with the Canopic, Sebennytic and Pelusiac mouths.
- by a point near the ancient Canopic mouth, eastward by the Rosetta mouth.Advertisement
- The intestines were removed and placed in four vases (the burial, so-called Canopic jars) in which they were supposed to enjoy the protection of the four sons of Horus, the man-headed Mesti, the ape-headed Hapi, the jackal Duamutef and the falcon Kebhsenuf.
- Current museum projects include investigating the contents or a New Kingdom canopic jar through CT scanning and the creation of a virtual museum.
- One was the expedition (problematic in its motive and details) to the oracle of Zeus Ammon (Oasis of Siwa), where Alexander was hailed by the priest as son of the god, a belief which the circle of Alexander, and perhaps Alexander himself, seem hereafter to have liked to play with in that sort of semi-serious vein which still allowed him in the moments of every-day commonplace to be the son of Philip. The other action was the foundation of Alexandria at the Canopic mouth of the Nile, the place destined to be a new commercial centre for the eastern Mediterranean world which Alexander had now taken in possession, to rise to an importance which the founder, although obviously acting with intention, can hardly have foreseen (E.
- Canopic Jars - Canopic jars were the jars Egyptians used to store the internal organs of the dead that were removed when bodies were mummified.
- No internal organs involved in modern canopic jar versions - they essentially resemble Egyptian inspired Russian dolls and are exceedingly popular.Advertisement