Canonicity sentence example
- Charteris, Canonicity (1880) and the New Testament in the Apostolic Fathers (Oxford, 1905).
- As to the canonicity and apostolic authorship of the Johannine Apocalypse no doubts were ever entertained in the West; indeed an Apocalypse of Peter was still retained in the canon in the 3rd century.
- Thus though it insisted on the exclusive canonicity of the 24 books, it claimed the possession of are oral law handed down from ivloses, and just as the apocryphal books overshadowed in certain instances the canonical scriptures, so often the oral law displaced the written in the regard of Judaism.
- External Evidence and Canonicity, and Century.-It is possible that the Apocalypse was known to Ignatius, Eph.
- There was also a useful collection of texts by Prof. Charteris of Edinburgh, Canonicity (1880), based on Kirchhofer, Quellensamm- lung (1844), but with improvements.Advertisement
- The assured canonicity of the whole New Testament resulted in its use by the medieval theologians, the Schoolmen, as a storehouse of proof-texts.
- The canonicity of the New Testament he ventures openly to deny, on the ground that the canon could be fixed only by men who were inspired.
- The book contains much which attracted and also much which repelled Jewish feeling, and it appears that it was necessary to pronounce against its canonicity.
- Ancient translators allowed themselves much liberty in their work, and Ecclesiasticus possessed no reputation for canonicity in the 2nd century B.C. to serve as a protection for its text.
- Here, too, was discussed the canonicity of the Song of Songs and of Ecclesiastes, and it is probable that here Aqiba and his colleagues fixed the official text of the canonical books.Advertisement
- It was in general use in the church till its canonicity was rejected by the Protestant churches and accepted by the Roman church at the council of Trent.
- articulation of the concept of the autographa and canonicity proposed by this paper.
- In other words, God's activity determines canonicity.
- The Scriptures state that consistency with the previous revelation is essential in establishing canonicity.
- creeds of Christendom rather than disputed canonicity.Advertisement
- At the time of Eusebius the Greek Church was saturated with prejudice against the book and with doubts as to its canonicity.
- To all seeming the pope had admitted the canonicity of several of the decrees of Constance - for instance, he had submitted to the necessity of the periodical convocation of other councils; but from his reticence on some points, as well as from his general attitude and some of his constitutions, it appeared that the whole of the decrees of Constance did not receive his unqualified approval, and without any definite pronouncement he made some reservations in the case of decrees which were detrimental to the rights and pre-eminence of the Holy See.