Candling sentence example
- One alternative method that is sometimes touted as a way to remove impacted cerumen is ear candling.
- Ear candling involves the insertion of a burning candle or a cone of wax-soaked linen or cotton into the affected ear.
- Practitioners of ear candling claim that the heat from the burning candle or smoke creates a vacuum that draws out the impacted cerumen.
- Some also claim that ear candling improves hearing, relieves sinus infections, cures earache or swimmer's ear, stops tinnitus, or purifies the mind.
- Ear candling is not recognized as an acceptable alternative practice by naturopaths, homeopaths, practitioners of Native American medicine, or any other authority on complementary and alternative medicine.Advertisement
- Ear candling is not only an ineffective way to remove impacted cerumen, it can actually damage the ear.
- Parents should teach children not to use cotton swabs or other objects to remove wax from the ear, and should advise older children and adolescents against experimenting with ear candling.