Canary-islands sentence example
- The home of the common mackerel (to which the following remarks refer) is the North Atlantic, from the Canary Islands to the Orkneys, and from the Mediterranean and the Black Sea and the coasts of Norway to the United States.
- That such inferiority may be expected to disappear is suggested by the success of vine-culture in Madeira and the Canary Islands.
- The native country of the insect is Mexico, and it is there more or less cultivated; but the greater part of our supply comes from New Granada and the Canary Islands.
- Red clay was discovered and named by Sir Wyville Thomson on the " Challenger " in 1873 when sounding in depths of 2700 fathoms on the way from the Canary Islands to St Thomas.
- It is a native of the Canary Islands and Madeira, where it occurs abundantly in the wild state, and is of a greyish-brown colour, slightly varied with brighter hues, although never attaining the beautiful plumage of the domestic bird.Advertisement
- The Canary Islands resemble a roughly-drawn semicircle, with its convex side facing southwards, and with the island of Hierro detached on the south-west.
- Ever since the researches of Leopold von Buch the Canary Islands have been classical ground to the student of volcanic action.
- The indigenous mammals of the Canary Islands are very few in number.
- It is spoken nowhere else, though, as has been said, place-names in the Canary Islands and other remains of the aboriginal language there prove it to have been the native tongue.
- A small military post had existed there since 1717, but efforts to create a town had been fruitless until Zabala offered to make hidalgos of the first settlers and to give them cattle and sheep. The first families to accept this offer came from the Canary Islands in 1726 under the direction of Don Francisco Alzeibar; they were followed by others from Andalusia and some of the Spanish-American settlements.Advertisement
- His spirit was fired by hearing of the deeds of explorers and adventurers, and having formed a plan to conquer the Canary Islands he raised some money by pledging his Norman estates, and sailed from La Rochelle on the 1st of May 1402 with two ships, commanded by himself and Gadifer de la Salle.
- Zoco Boardriding Adventures organizes surfing, kite surfing and windsurfing holidays in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, Canary Islands.
- The spaghetti westerns were also shot in the Canary Islands at Sioux City in San Agustin.
- Most of them are natives of the Old World, and chiefly of its eastern division, but several inhabit the western portion of North America, and one, C. githagineus (of which there seem to be at least two local races), is an especial native of the deserts, or their borders, of Arabia and North Africa, extending even to some of the Canary Islands - a singular modification in the habitat of a form which one would be apt to associate exclusively with forest trees, and especially conifers.
- It travels throughout the Mediterranean Sea, Canary Islands and the Aegean Sea.Advertisement
- Transatlantic: This cruise leaves from Colon, Panama, and travels through the stunning ports of Willemstad, Curacao, Bridgetown, Barbados, and the Canary Islands before docking at Palma De Mallorca, Spain.