Canal-zone sentence example
- The United States government has also opened a port at Cristobal, within the Canal Zone.
- The transmarine dominions are Alaska, the Hawaiian Islands, Porto Rico, the Philippine Islands, and the Canal Zone on the Isthmus of Panama.
- The country has no lakes; the apparent exceptions are the artificial lakes, Bohio (or Gatun) and Sosa, of the Canal Zone.
- In the canal zone there are great shops for the manufacture and repair of machinery.
- It was purchased by De Lesseps's Compagnie Universelle de Canal Interoceanique de Panama for $25,500,000; and, with the other holdings of the French company, 68,869 shares (more than 97% of the total) passed to the 1 Christobal, the port of Colon, and Balboa, the port of Panama, lie within the canal zone and are under the jurisdiction of the United States.Advertisement
- Goethals was appointed the first civil governor of the Canal Zone by President Wilson in 1914 and the following year was made major-general.
- He favoured complete sovereignty of the United States over the Canal Zone.
- They flew many flights to Malta and Cyprus carrying troops and RAF personnel detached for the assault on the Canal Zone.