During some months young Garfield served as bowsman, deck-hand and driver of a canal boat.
Four-story buildings had been built to the ceiling, flanking a narrow pathway and canal of water, siphoned from the Mississippi.
Lateral canal of Loire 137
He showed, while making the Suez Canal, what a gift he possessed for levying the pacific armies he conducted.
To the placing in quarantine of the vessel which took him to Egypt is due the origin of his great conception of a canal across the isthmus of Suez.
The buildings held lights and people, and the canal curved to the left, hiding the size of the city.
This is that portion, also, where in the spring, the ice being warmed by the heat of the sun reflected from the bottom, and also transmitted through the earth, melts first and forms a narrow canal about the still frozen middle.
The worm inhabits the lung of the frog and toad, and is hermaphrodite (Schneider) or parthenogenetic (Leuckart); the embryos hatched from the eggs find their way through the lungs into the alimentary canal and thence to the exterior; in a few days they develop into a sexual larva, called a Rhabditiform larva, in which the sexes are distinct; the eggs remain within the uterus, and the young when hatched break through its walls and live free in the perivisceral cavity of the mother, devouring the organs of the body until only the outer cuticle is left; this eventually breaks and sets free the young, which are without teeth, and have therefore lost the typical Rhabditis form.
"We promised Martha we'd follow through on this business," Cynthia added, clinching the obligation like a root canal appointment.
Water communication is afforded by Lake Champlain to the south, for seven months of the year, by way of the Champlain canal, via Whitehall, New York, to Troy and the Hudson river and the Atlantic coast, and to the north by way of the Richelieu river and the Chambly canal to the St Lawrence.
from the Rhine, with which it is connected by a canal (the Spoykanal).
There is a canal two rods wide along the northerly and westerly sides, and wider still at the east end.
Taking a deep breath, she hesitantly inserted her hand into the birth canal and carefully slid it along the tiny leg until she felt the muzzle.
But the captain drove him from the deck, and, wandering on in search of work, he fell in with a canal boatman who engaged him.
He had resolved to construct the Panama Canal without locks, to make it an uninterrupted navigable way.
The new ship canal from Zeebrugge will not revive the ancient port, as it follows a different route, leaving Damme and Ecluse quite untouched.
A proposal to confine the Drin to its former course by means of a dyke, and to ease the downflow of the Boyana by a canal opening navigation to Lake Scutari, has long been considered by the Turkish authorities.
The adult worm, which is of extremely minute size, the male being only Fi l sth and the female s of an inch in length inhabits the alimentary canal of man and many other carnivorous mammalia; the young bore their way into the tissues and become encysted in the muscles - within the muscle-bundles according to Leuckart, but in the connective tissue between them according to Chatin and others.
Morse showed, by experiments made in 1842 on a canal at Washington, that it was possible to interrupt the metallic electric circuit in two places and yet retain power of electric Morse.
After a longer or shorter period it enters the alimentary canal of its proper host with drinking-water, or it bores through the skin and reaches the bloodvessels, and is so conveyed through the body, in which it becomes sexually mature.
His ancestor, Richard Seymour, a Protestant Episcopal ` clergyman, was an early settler at Hartford, Connecticut, and his father, Henry Seymour, who removed from Connecticut to New York, was prominent in the Democratic party in the state, being a member of the "Albany Regency" and serving as state senator in1816-1819and in 1822, and as canal commissioner in 1819-1831.
By means of the Stecknitz canal, the Elbe, the principal river, is connected with the Trave.
The United States government has also opened a port at Cristobal, within the Canal Zone.
Berry (uniting Montlucon with the canalized Cher and the Loire canal) 163
The nucleus of the township lies on high ground to the east of the Edgware road, which crosses the Welsh Harp reservoir of Regent's Canal, a favourite fishing and skating resort.
In this last district, near the mouth of the old canal, stands a fine statue of Christopher Columbus, the gift of the empress Eugenie in 1870.
It is situated on the canal from Bruges to Sluys (Ecluse), but in the middle ages a navigable channel or river called the Zwyn gave ships access to it from the North Sea.
Except along part of the north-west frontier, where the canal of VinhThe divides it from Cambodia, its land-limits are conventional.
It is probable that the parasite is then transferred to the alimentary canal of man by means of drinking-water, and thence makes its way to the subcutaneous connective tissue.
Ardennes (uniting Aisne and Canal de lEst) -.
Midi (Toulouse to Mediterranean via Bziers); see CANAL 175
Canal de Ia Somme 97
The Russ is connected with the outlet of the Kurisches Haff at Memel by a canal, while another canal links the Gilge arm southward with the Pregel.
Trade is also brisk, and is facilitated by a canal connecting the town with Vienna, and used chiefly for the transport of coal and timber.
While in the interests of his canal Lesseps had resisted the opposition of British diplomacy to an enterprise which threatened to give to France control of the shortest route to India, he acted loyally towards Great Britain after Lord Beaconsfield had acquired the Suez shares belonging to the Khedive, by frankly admitting to the board of directors of the company three representatives of the British government.
The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 contributed greatly to Troy's commercial importance.
Canal de lOurcq 67
Mimaut, consul-general of France at Alexandria, sent him several books, among which was the memoir written upon the Suez Canal, according to Bonaparte's instructions, by the civil engineer Lapere, one of the scientific members of the French expedition.
His faith made him believe that his adversaries were in the wrong; but how great must have been this faith, which permitted him to undertake the work at a time when mechanical appliances for the execution of such an undertaking did not exist, and when for the utilization of the proposed canal there was as yet no steam mercantile marine !
But when the Panama "scandal" has been forgotten, for centuries to come the traveller in saluting the statue of Ferdinand de Lesseps at the entrance of the Suez Canal will pay homage to one of the most powerful embodiments of the creative genius of the 19th century.
A considerable part of the alimentary canal is said to be derived from the ectoderm in the buds of both Cephalodiscus and Rhabdopleura.
A governor has been appointed since 1885, some importance being foreseen for the islands in connexion with the cutting of the Panama canal, as the group lies on the route to Australia opened up by that scheme.
Canal de Ia Haute Marne 60
LINGEN, a town in the Prussian province of Hanover, on the Ems canal, 43 m.
The soldier led them down to the canal.
The exiles dwelt at Tell-abib (" Hill of the flood "), one of the mounds or ruins made by the great floods that devastated the country,1 near the " river " Chebar (Kebar), probably a large canal not far south of the city of Babylon.
The canal and river system attains its greatest utility in the north, northeast and north-centre of the country; traffic is thickest along the Seine below Paris; along the rivers and small canals of the rich departments of Nord and Pas-de-Calais and along the Oise and the canal of St Quentin whereby they communicate with Paris; along the canal from the Marne to the Rhine and the succession of waterways which unite it with the Oise; along the Canal de lEst (departments of Meuse and Ardennes); and along the waterways uniting Paris with the Sane at Chalon (Seine, Canal du Loing, Canal de Briare, Lateral canal of the Loire and Canal du Centre) and along the Sane between Chalon and Lyons.
Lateral canal of Garonne 133
One of the consequences of the persecutions of which he was the object was to oblige him to spend three years, from 1896 to 1899, in England, where his participation in the management of the Suez Canal had won for him some strong friendships, and where he was able to see the great respect in which the memory and name of his father were held by Englishmen.
The old canal park is popular among nature enthusiasts and off-road cyclists.
The soldier flashed a smile as he started down the narrow pathway lining the canal.
The most attractive parts are the American quarter, where the employes of the Panama railway have their homes, and the old French quarter, where dwelt the French officers during their efforts to build the canal.
Later it acquired increased importance through its selection by de Lesseps as the site for the Atlantic entrance to his canal.
It is served by the New York Central & Hudson River, and the Lehigh Valley railways, and by the Cayuga & Seneca Canal.
It is said that he contemplated the conquest of India and that he was the first to conceive the idea of the Suez Canal.
It is picturesquely situated in the hilly district of the upper valley of the river Aire, the course of which is followed by the Leeds and Liverpool canal.
of Amsterdam, connected by steam-tramway with Haarlem and Amsterdam, and on the North Holland canal.
from London on a branch from Nuneaton of the London & North Western and Midland railways, near the Ashby-dela-Zouch canal.
Perhaps his energy would not have been sufficient to sustain him against these repeated blows of destiny if, in 1854, the accession to the viceroyalty of Egypt of his old friend, Said Pacha, had not given a new impulse to the ideas that had haunted him for the last twenty-two years concerning the Suez Canal.
If in 1869 he appeared to deviate from this principle by being a candidate at Marseilles for the Corps Legislatif, it was because he yielded to the entreaties of the Imperial government in order to strengthen its goodwill for the Suez Canal.
In 1879 a congress assembled in the rooms of the Geographical Society at Paris, under the presidency of Admiral de la Ronciere le Noury, and voted in favour of the making of the Panama Canal.
2, Anterior end of alimentary canal.
3, Posterior end of alimentary canal.
Morse and Gale, who assisted him, found, however, that the distance of the plates up and down the canal must be at least three or four times the width of the canal to obtain successful results.
Canal system of flow lines of current through the sea, and these might be detected by any other ships furnished with two plates dipping into the sea at stem and stern, and connected by a wire having a telephone in its circuit, provided that the two plates were not placed on the same equipotential surface of the original current flow lines.
HELMOND, a town in the province of North Brabant, Holland, on the small river Aa, and on the canal (Zuid-Willems Vaart) between 'sHertogenbosch and Maastricht, 241 m.
The wide streets are traversed by a system of tramways, which pass through modern suburbs to the mining district about two leagues inland, and on the west a canal enables small vessels to enter the town without using the port.
The price is to be fixed by the Railway and Canal Commissioners as arbitrators on the basis of the " then value," exclusive of any allowance for past or future profits or any compensation for compulsory sale or other consideration.
In order to provide employment for his soldiers, Corbulo made them cut a canal from the Mosa (Meuse) to the northern branch of the Rhine, which still forms one of the chief drains between Leiden and Sluys, and before the introduction of railways was the ordinary traffic road between Leiden and Rotterdam.
Dilatation (stomach) of the Circular canal.
c.c, Circular canal.
sub, Sub-umbral ectoderm c.c, Circular canal.
E, Type of Coryne, Forskalia, &c. c.c, Circular canal.
E, Transverse sec- r.c. Radial canal.
tion of a stage c.c, Circular canal.
becomes a vesicle, the future r.c, Radial canal.
manubrium and In C the marsupium (m) is formed as finger-like another below the process from the summit of the blastostyle, en closing the acrocyst; b, medusa-buds on the radial canal in blastostyle.
bearing gonads on the main canal, but not on the branches, with numerous hollow tentacles bearing ocelli, and without otocysts.
(After Haeckel.) c, Circular canal.
r, Radiating canal (pouch of stomach).
At the time of Strabo and Horace, however, it was the practice to travel by canal from Forum Appii to Lucus Feroniae; to Nerva and Trajan were due the paving of the road and the repair of the bridges along this section.
to the north, thus making Ghent practically a sea-port; while a second canal, from the Lys, connects the city via Bruges with Ostende.
The rivers of Groningen descending from the Drente plateau meet at the capital, whence they are continued by the Reitdiep to the Lauwers Zee (being discharged through a lock), and by the Ems canal (1876) to Delfzyl.
The isthmus on which the town stands (which position has caused it to be likened to Corinth) can be crossed without surmounting any great elevation, and offers a feasible canal route.
The district is watered by four branches of the Ganges canal, and traversed by two lines of railway.
A glandular streak extending from the nostril towards the eye is the lachrymal canal.
The Stratford-on-Avon canal communicates with the Warwick and Birmingham canal.
Annuiar vessel, superficially obvious order through & I,~iterceiiuIar canal, the conjunctive tissue of the stele, 1.
Insects, indeed, are largely concerned in disseminating Fungi, either on their bodies or via the alimentary canal.
The Atrato at one time attracted considerable attention as a feasible route for a trans-isthmian canal, which, it was estimated, could be excavated at a cost of ii,000,000.
sc, Sinus canal in supra-occipital.
In the cervical region the ribs are much reduced, fused with their verte brae and enclosing the transverse canal or foramen.
In the region of the neck lateral strands pass through the transverse canal of the cervical vertebrae; but from the thoracic region onwards, where the cardiac branch to the heart is given off, each strand is double and the basal ganglia are successively connected with the next by a branch which runs ventrally over the capitulum of the rib, and by another which passes directly through the foramen or space formed between capitulum and tuberculum.
- For a general account of the digestive organs, see Alimentary Canal.
Taken internally, colchicum or colchicine markedly increases the amount of bile poured into the alimentary canal, being amongst the most powerful of known cholagogues.
Between Salahiya and Deir, on an old canal, known in Arabic times as Said, leaving the Euphrates a little below Deir and rejoining it above Salahiya, stand the almost more picturesque ruins of the once important Arabic fortress of Rahba.
The next important canal, the Dujayl (Dojail), left the Euphrates on the left, about a league above Ramadiya (Ar-Rabb), and flowed into the Tigris between Ukbara and Bagdad.
This canal still carries water and was navigable for steamboats until about 1875.
Occidental geographers, however, have followed the Greek use, and so to-day we call the river of Babylon or Nahr Sura the Euphrates and the older westerly channel the Hindieh canal.
The Narss, also, the modern Daghara, which is still navigable to Nippur and beyond, left the Sura a little below Hillah; and at the present day another large canal, the Kehr, branches off near Diwanieh.
The Hindieh canal and the main stream, the ancient Sura, rejoin one another at Samawa.
With the acquisition of the Suez Canal, moreover, the value of this route from the British standpoint was so greatly diminished that the scheme, so far as England was concerned, was quite abandoned.
ARRAH, a town of British India, headquarters of Shahabad district, in the Patna division of Bengal, situated on a navigable canal connecting the river Sone with the Ganges.
of Leeuwarden, with which it is also connected by canal.
from Colon, and of the Panama Canal.
The public buildings include the cathedral (1760), the government palace, the municipal palace, the episcopal palace, the church of Santa Ana, a national theatre, a school of arts and trades, a foreign hospital, the former administration building of the Canal Company, Santo Tomas Hospital, the pesthouse of Punta Mala and various asylums. The houses are mostly of stone, with red tile roofs, two or three storeys high, built in the Spanish style around central patios, or courts, and with balconies projecting far over the narrow streets; in such houses the lowest floor is often rented to a poorer family.
Two miles inland is Ancon, in the Canal Zone, in which are the hospitals of the Isthmian Canal Commission and the largest hotel on the isthmus.
west of the city, connected with it by railway, and formerly called La Boca), the port of Panama and the actual terminus of the canal, is in the Canal Zone and is a port under the jurisdiction of the United States, the commercial future of Panama is dependent upon American tariffs and the degree to which Panama and Balboa may be identified.
Panama Canal >>
Ardrishaig (pop. 1285), a seaport on the west of the mouth of Loch Gilp, is the east terminus of the Crinan Canal.
It is the place of transhipment from the large Glasgow passenger steamers to the small craft built for the navigation of the canal.
by canal with the Caspian and the Baltic. The Vychegda, which flows W.S.W.
and in its upper portion is connected by a canal with the upper Kama.
The Svir, also discharging into Lake Ladoga, flows from Lake Onega, and, being part of the Mariinsk canal system, is of great importance for navigation.
source, and steamers ply as far as Kovno; it is connected by the Oginsky canal with the Dnieper.
In the article on " Railways " in the Supplement to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, published in 1824, it is said: "It will appear that this species of inland carriage [railways] is principally applicable where trade is considerable and the length of conveyance short; and is chiefly useful, therefore, in transporting the mineral produce of the kingdom from the mines to the nearest land or water communication, whether sea, river or canal.
In 1828, on behalf of the Delaware && Hudson Canal Company, which had determined to build a line, 16 m.
In the former the Railway and Canal Traffic Act of 1854 specially prohibited preferences, either in facilities or in rates.
The Truckee river flows with more vigour, having its source in Lake Tahoe, in California, at an altitude of 6225 ft., and entering the Carson river through an irrigation canal :completed in 1905; before this date it flowed into Pyramid Lake and Lake Winnemucca in the depression at the foot of the Sierra Nevada.
A canal 31 m.
The Kennet and Avon Canal, between Reading and the Avon, follows the river closely from Bradford down to Bath, where it enters it by a descent of seven locks.
It lies pleasantly in the narrow well-wooded valley of the Bulbourne, and is close to the Grand Junction canal.
The town is connected with the sea by the Corsini Canal, the two small rivers Ronco and Montone no longer serving as means of communication.
At the mouth of the canal is a small harbour.
In the next year (March - April) he inspected the Panama Canal and also visited Cuba and Porto Rico.
The Huddersfield canal passes it.
Even at that period, however, the silt brought down by the rivers rendered access to the harbour difficult, and the historian Philistus excavated a canal to give free access to the sea.
A canal unites Arles with the harbour of Bouc on the Mediterranean.
The town is hemmed in on the east by the railway line from Lyons to Marseilles, on the south by the Canal de Craponne.
d, Alimentary canal.
C, Small portion of the nephridium of Glycera siphonostoma, showing the canal cut through, and the solenocytes on the outer surface.
Alimentary canal rarely coiled, occasionally with glands which are simple caeca and sometimes serve as air reservoirs; jaws often present and an eversible pharynx.
Alimentary canal straight, often with appended glands of complicated or simpler structure; no jaws.
The Oligochaeta are the only Chaetopods in which undoubted nephridia may possess a relationship with the alimentary canal.
The only comparable fact among other worms is the Laurer's canal or genitointestinal canal in the Trematoda.
The alimentary canal is simple and a gizzard or oesophageal diverticula rarely developed.
The brain con sists not only of a group of six capsules corre sponding to the archi cerebrum of the Oligo chaeta, but of a further mass of cells surrounding S S and existing below the alimentary canal, which can be analysed into five or six more separate ganglia.
Slight differences in form have been noted between nephridia of different segments; but the Hirudinea do not show the marked differentiation that is to be seen in some other Chaetopods; nor do the nephridia ever acquire any relations to the alimentary canal.
The two long ovarian sacs communicate with each other by a transverse bridge before uniting to form the terminal canal.
Pop. (1900) 10,588, of whom 1804 were foreign-born; (1 9 10 census) 9535 It is served by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railways, by interurban electric railways, and by the Illinois & Michigan Canal.
The Trent & Mersey canal crosses the southern part of the county, and there is a branch canal (the Derby) connecting Derby with this and with the Erewash canal, which runs north from the Trent up the Erewash valley.
From it there is a little-used branch (the Cromford canal) to Matlock.
Libby Prison, which stood on the northern bank of a canal, near the river, in the eastern part of the city, was taken down in 1888-89, and its materials removed to Chicago, where it was reconstructed, in as nearly as possible its original form, and became the Libby Prison War Museum.'
A space of over 200 acres to the east of the palace is covered by the park, which is traversed by a canal dating from the reign of Henry IV.
The first is a ventral flexure in the antero-posterior or sagittal plane; the result of this is to approximate the two ends of the alimentary canal.
The visceral commissure, while still surrounding the digestive tract, becomes looped; its right half, with its proper ganglion, passes to the left side over the dorsal face of the alimentary canal (whence the name supra-intestinal), while the left half passes below towards the right side, thus originating the name infra-intestinal given to this half and to its ganglion.
al, alimentary canal; d, the true mouth.
al, alimentary canal; at d, the jaws; at a, the mouth; therefore a to d is stomodaeum, whereas in the Gastropod (F) a to d is inverted body-surface.
The alimentary canal of the Pectinibranchia presents little diversity of character, except in so far as the buccal region is concerned.
Shell with moderately long spire and canal, ornamented with ribs, often spiny; foot truncated anteriorly.
In other Euthyneura this groove may close up and form a canal.
The chief modification of internal organization presented by these forms, as compared with Aplysia, is found in the condition of the alimentary canal.
They are not merely digestive glands, but are sufficiently wide to act as receptacles of food, and in them the digestion of food proceeds just as in the axial portion of the canal.
(From Owen.) of the liver or great digestive gland is found in the scorpions, where the axial portion of the digestive canal is short and straight, and the lateral ducts sufficiently wide to admit food into the ramifications of the gland there to be digested; whilst in the spiders the gland is reduced to a series of simple caeca.
- Enteric Canal of Eolis papillosa.
re, Stiebel's canal (left side), tge, Mesoblastic (skeletotrophic probably an evanescent and muscular) cells invest embryonic nephridium.
The ostensible aims of the expedition, as drawn up by him, and countersigned by the Directory on the 12th of April, were the seizure of Egypt, the driving of the British from all their possessions in the East and the cutting of the Suez canal.
The great canal was not begun; irrigation works were started but were soon given up. The letters of Kleber and Menou (the successors of Bonaparte) show that the expenditure on public works had been so reckless that the colony was virtually bankrupt at the time of Bonaparte's departure; and William Hamilton, who travelled through Egypt in 1802, found few traces, other than military, of the French occupation.
- Food Canal of Cockroach.
as the Caledonian Canal) was proclaimed as a prohibited area.
Gadow and P. Chalmers Mitchell, have shown that useful systematic information can be obtained from the study of the alimentary canal.
The whole site of Venice is dominated by the existence of one great main canal, the Grand Canal, which, winding through the town in the shape of the letter S, divides it into two equal parts.
This great canal was probably at one time the bed of a river flowing into the lagoons near Mestre.
The smaller canals all serve as arteries to the Grand Canal.
One other broad canal, once the bed of the Brenta, divides the island of the Giudecca from the rest of the city and takes its name from that island.
The canals too were guarded by chains stretched across their mouths and by towers in some cases, as, for example, in the case of the Torresella Canal, which takes its name from these defence works.
The canals were crossed by wooden bridges without steps, and in the case of the wide Grand Canal the bridge at Rialto was carried on boats.
Fine examples of Venetian Byzantine palaces - at least of the façades - are still to be seen on the Grand Canal and in some of the small canals.
Other specimens still in existence are the municipal buildings, Palazzo Loredan and Palazzo Farsetti - if, indeed, these are not to be considered rather as Romanesque - and the splendid Ca' da Mosto, all on the Grand Canal.
The original cameo was bounded on the west by the canal B, with the 6th-century church of S.
The first enlargement of the square was effected by Doge Sebastiano Ziani in 1176, when he filled up the canal and rebuilt the church on a new site at D, thus nearly doubling the size of the square.
The apse is built over a canal.
Barnaba; the Palazzo Priuli at San Severo, with a remarkably graceful anglewindow, where the columnar mullion carries down the angle of the wall; the flamboyant balconies of the Palazzo Contarini Fasan; the Palazzo Bernardo on a side canal near S.
This noble pile, with a large and handsome dome, a secondary cupola over the altar, and a striking portal and flight of steps, occupies one of the most conspicuous sites in Venice on the point of land that separates the mouth of the Guidecca from the Grand Canal.
In 1325 the second addition, the arsenale nuovo, was made, and a third, the arsenale nuovissimo, in 1473; a fourth, the Riparto delle Galeazze, about 1 539; and in 1564 the fifth enlargement, the Canal delle Galeazze e Vasca, took place.
Under the republic commercial shipping used to enter Venice by the Tort of San Nicole del Lido and lie along the quay called the Riva degli Schiavoni, in the basin of San Marco, and up the broad Giudecca Canal.
A dock was constructed at the western or farther end of the Giudecca Canal, near the railway.
One of the first great public improvements made within the state was the connexion of these waterways by two canals - the Ohio & Erie Canal from Cleveland to Portsmouth, and the Miami & Erie Canal from Toledo to Cincinnati.
Before the completion of the Miami & Erie Canal to Toledo, the building of railways was begun in this region, and in 1836 a railway was completed from that city to Adrian, Michigan.
A small company of Connecticut people under Moses Cleaveland founded Cleveland in 17 9 6 and Youngstown was begun a few years later, but that portion of the state made very slow progress until after the opening of the Ohio & Erie Canal in 1832.
In 1835 a new charter was granted to a second company, and in 1837 the Cairo City & Canal Co.
Some arrivals have been diverted to Manchester since the opening of the Manchester ship s canal; shipments through the canal from the 1st of entry, September to the 30th of August in each year for the decade 1894-1895 to 1904-1905 are appended - six to eight times as much is still unloaded at Liverpool.
One gain accruing to Lancashire from the Canal, however, is that its competition has brought down railway rates.
It is interesting to observe that a later development of transport between Manchester and Liverpool, namely, the Manchester Cotton landed at the Port of Manchester since the Canal was opened.
Ship Canal, has drawn back into Manchester a part of the cotton market which was attracted from Manchester into Liverpool by the famous improvement in transport opened to the public three-quarters of a century ago.
From 1807 to 1816 Elkanah Watson (1758-1842), a prominent farmer and merchant, lived at what is now the Country Club, and while there introduced the merino sheep into Berkshire county and organized the Berkshire Agricultural Society; he is remembered for his advocacy of the building of a canal connecting the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean, and as the author of Memoirs: Men and Times of the Revolution (18J5), edited by his son, W.
He was for exempting American shipping from Panama Canal tolls and also supported woman suffrage.
The river is tapped here by the feeder of the Illinois & Michigan Canal, so that there is direct water communication with Chicago and St Louis.
Its medieval importance as an intermediary of trade between Europe and the East was greatly impaired by the opening of the Red Sea route, and finally abolished by the Suez Canal; and Syria is at present important mainly for the sentimental reason that it contains the holiest places of Judaism and Christianity, and for the strategic reason that it lies on the flank of the greatest traderoute of the eastern hemisphere.
No other intermediate stages have as yet been noticed between this arrangement and that of the Heteronemertini, in which a separate posterior brain-lobe receives a similar ciliated canal, and in which the oesophageal outgrowths have made their appearance and are coalesced with the nerve-tissue in the organ of the adult animal.
Here the pits split into two, one part ending in a sac lined with sensory epithelium, and embedded in nervous tissue, the other projecting backwards as a long, glandular, blind canal.
The oesophagus is the anterior portion of the digestive canal; its walls are folded longitudinally, comparatively thick and provided with longitudinal muscular fibres.
It is a curious feature in Nemertines that the alimentary canal seldom contains traces of food and yet most of these worms are voracious.
Each consists of a more or less coiled, ciliated, longitudinal canal, which on its external surface gives origin to one or more transverse canals, which pass to the exterior and open a little way behind the mouth on the sides of the body.
On its inner surface the longitudinal canal is adpressed to the lateral bloodvessel, and gives off a number of small, blind caeca or tags, each of which ends in a small clump of cells.
There is no communication between the nephridia on one side and the other, but in Eupolia there are ducts opening into the alimentary canal as well as to the exterior, a condition of things which recalls what obtains in certain Oligochaetes.
A series 750.) I, The longitudinal of sacs lined with an epithelium, the proexcretory canal; 2, one liferation of which gives rise to the ova of the tags containing the or spermatozoa, alternate between the flame-cells.
Montgomery has also described certain spaces which may be coelomic lying between the alimentary canal and the inner longitudinal layer of muscles in the Heteronemertini.
In 1882 the Florida East Coast Line Canal and Transportation Co.
Most of the trade of Brielle was diverted to Hellevoetsluis by the cutting of the Voornsche Canal in 1829, but it still has some business in corn and fodder, as well as a few factories.
When the other branches and the Alexandria canal silted up, Rosetta prospered like its sister port of Damietta on the eastern branch; the main trade of the overland route to India passed through it until Mehemet Ali cut a new canal joining Alexandria to the Nile.
A sanitary and ship canal 34 m.
Green Bay and Lake Michigan are connected by a canal extending from the lake to the head of Sturgeon Bay.
If they fall on pasture land or fodder of any kind and are eaten by any herbivorous animal, such as a hare, rabbit, horse, sheep or ox, the active embryos or larvae are set free in the alimentary canal of the new host.
The village is served by the New York Central & Hudson River railway, by the Buffalo, Lockport & Rochester electric railway, and by the Erie Canal.
64) seem to have begun near Lake Avernus; indeed, according to one theory, the Grotta della Pace would be a portion of this canal.
S.E.) and by the ZuidWillem's canal with Maastricht (60 m.
It is the eastern terminus of the Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley, the West Shore, the Central of New Jersey, the Baltimore & Ohio, the Northern of New Jersey (operated by the Erie), the Erie, the New York, Susquehanna & Western, and the New Jersey & New York (controlled by the Erie) railways, the first three using the Pennsylvania station; and of the little-used Morris canal.
The size of the animals varies greatly, from forms a few millimetres in length to Gigantorhynchus gigas, which measures from 10 to 65 cms. The adults live in great numbers in the alimentary canal of some vertebrate, usually fish, the larvae are as a rule encysted in the body cavity of some invertebrate, most often an insect or crustacean, more rarely a small fish.
There are no alimentary canal or specialized organs for circulation or for respiration.
The embryo thus passes from the body of the female into the alimentary canal of the host and leaves this with the faeces.
By this time the embryo has all the organs of the adult perfected save only the reproductive; these develop only when the first host is swallowed by the second or final host, in which case the parasite attaches itself to the wall of the alimentary canal and becomes adult.
In front of the delta are sandbanks and rocks which prevent the passage of vessels except by a canal, 18 m.
The improvement of waterways in the interior of the empire was not neglected, the Babylonian canal system was repaired, the obstructions in the Tigris removed.
A canal was attempted across the Mimas promontory (Plin.
That there might also be a waterway between Alexandria and the Red Sea, they cut a canal between the Delta and the northern Arsinoe.
(1366-1333) from Syria, showing the road from Pelusium to Heroopolis, the canal from the Nile with crocodiles, and a lake (mod.
Thereupon Great Britain, partly to secure the route to the East via the Suez Canal, which the occupation of the country by another power might menace, occupied Zaila, Berbera and Bulhar, officials being sent from Aden to govern the ports.
Count Stanislas Russell, a naval officer, was sent on a mission to the Red Sea in 1857, and he reported strongly on the necessity of a French establishment in that region in view of the approaching completion of the Suez Canal.
South of the town - between it and LakeMareotis - runs theMahmudiya canal, which enters the western harbour by a series of locks.
This quarter has been pierced by several straight roads, one of which, crossing the Mahmudiya canal by the Pont Neuf, leads to Gabbari, the most westerly part of the city and an industrial and manufacturing region, possessing asphalt works and oil, rice and paper mills.
On either side of the canal are the warehouses of wholesale dealers in cotton, wool, sugar, grain and other commodities.
Along the northern side of the Mahmudiya canal, which here passes a little S.
About 90% of the total exports and imports of the country pass through the port, though the completion, in 1904, of a broad-gauge railway connecting Cairo and Port Said deflected some of the cotton exports to the Suez Canal route.
The city was laid out as a gridiron of parallel streets, each of which had an attendant subterranean canal.
Traces of its pavement and canal have been found near the Rosetta Gate; but better remains still of streets and canals were exposed in 1899 by the German excavators outside the E.
The building of Cairo in 969, and, above all, the discovery of the route to the East by the Cape of Good Hope in 1498, nearly ruined its commerce; the canal, which supplied it with Nile water, became blocked; and although it remained a principal Egyptian port, at which most European visitors in the Mameluke and Ottoman periods landed, we hear little of it until about the beginning of the 19th century.
The British position on the night of the 10th extended across the isthmus, the right resting upon the ruins of Nicopolis and the sea, the left on the lake of Aboukir and the Alexandria canal.
He restored its water communication with the Nile by making the Mahmudiya canal, finished in 1820; and he established at Ras et-Tin his favourite residence.
An alisphenoid canal.
The post-glenoid, post-tympanic and paroccipital processes of the skull are large, and there is an alisphenoid canal.
SUEZ, a port of Egypt on the Red Sea and southern terminus of the Suez Canal, situated at the head of the Gulf of Suez in 29° 58' 37" N., 32° 31' 18" E.
Suez is supplied with water by the fresh-water canal, which starts from the Nile at Cairo and is terminated at Suez by a lock which, north of the town, joins it to the gulf.
Before the opening of this canal in 1863 water had to be brought from " the Wells of Moses," a small oasis 3 m.
south of the town are the harbours and quays constructed on the western side of the Suez Canal at the point where the canal enters the gulf.
deep. There are separate basins for warships and merchant ships, and in the roadstead at the mouth of the canal is ample room for shipping.
Suez is a quarantine station for pilgrims from Mecca; otherwise its importance is due almost entirely to the ships using the canal.
In the 7th century a town called Kolzum stood, on a site adjacent to that of Suez, at the southern end of the canal which then joined the Red Sea to the Nile.
Kolzum retained some of the trade of Egypt with Arabia and countries farther east long after the canal was closed, but by the 13th century it was in ruins and Suez itself, which had supplanted it, was also, according to an Arab historian, in decay.
This line is now abandoned in favour of the railway which follows the canal from Suez to Ismailia, and then ascends the Wadi Tumilat to Zagazig, whence branches diverge to Cairo and Alexandria.
Suez Canal >>
The canal system is especially well developed in the parishes of the Mississippi delta, where, at the close of 1907, there were about 50 m.
The railway from Jodhpur has been extended towards Bhatinda in the Punjab; on the northern border, the Ghaggar canal in the Punjab irrigates about 5000 acres.
As viewed from Banavie on the Caledonian Canal, it has the appearance of two great masses, one higher than the other, and though its bulk is impressive, its outline is much less striking than that of many other Highland hills.
The benefits of canal irrigation were introduced in the 'seventies, and the revenue thus doubled.
In 1869 the visit was returned by many sovereigns and princes on their way to the opening of the Suez Canal, among these being the empress Eugenie.
At this point also the two rivers are connected by a canal, the northernmost of a series of canals which formerly united the two great waterways, and at the same time irrigated the intervening plain.
This canal, the Sakhlawieh (formerly Isa), leaves the Euphrates a few miles above Feluja and the bridge of boats, near the ruins of the ancient Anbar.
As it approaches Bagdad it spreads out in a great marsh, and finally, through the Masudi canal, which encircles western Bagdad, enters the Tigris below the town.
At the time of Chesney's survey of the Euphrates in 1838 this canal was still navigable for craft of some size.
The trade of Persia with the west now passes either through the ports of the Persian Gulf or northward over Trebizond, while India communicates with the west directly through the Suez Canal.
The Arab city, the old or round city of Bagdad, was founded by the caliph Mansur of the Abbasid dynasty on the west side of the Tigris just north of the Isa canal in A.D.
It is skirted on the west by the Garonne itself, and on the north by its lateral canal.
The river is crossed by a stone bridge, by a suspension bridge for foot-passengers, and by a fine canalbridge, carrying the lateral canal.
Cleveland's growth was, however, very slow until the opening of the Ohio canal as far as Akron in 1827; about the same time the improvement of the harbour was begun, and by 1832 the canal was opened to the Ohio river.
It discharges its waters, by means of the Thioux canal, into the Fier, a tributary of the Rhone.
The Glamorganshire canal, opened in 1794, runs from Cardiff to Merthyr Tydfil, with a branch to Aberdare.
In 1798 the first dock (12 acres in extent) was constructed at the terminus of the Glamorgan canal from Merthyr.
The Bute trustees in 1885 acquired the Glamorgan canal and its dock, and in the following year obtained an act for vesting their various docks and the canal in a company now known as the Cardiff Railway Company.
wide, still exists on three sides, but it is now converted into a "feeder" for the docks and canal.
canal) from the Santiam, an affluent of the Willamette river.
The lateral canal of the Loire, the Berry Canal and the canal from Roanne to Digoin together traverse about 57 m.
In 1865 Kowalevsky discovered that the organs of respiration consist of numerous pairs of gill-slits leading from the digestive canal through the thickness of the body-wall to the exterior.
Not only is the coelom thus subdivided, but the enteron (gut, alimentary canal, digestive tube) itself shows indications of three main subsections in continuity with one another: - (I) proboscis-gut (Eicheldarm, stomochord, vide infra); (2) collar-gut (buccal cavity, throat); (3) truncal gut extending from the collar to the vent.
Sometimes the central canal is wide and uninterrupted between the two neuropores; in other cases it becomes broken up into a large number of small closed medullary cavities, and in others again it is obsolete.
In one family, the Ptychoderidae, the medullary tube of the collar is connected at intermediate points with the epidermis by means of a variable number of unpaired outgrowths from its dorsal wall, generally containing an axial lumen derived from and in continuity with the central canal.
b', arrow from central canal of neurochord (cnc) passed out through anterior neuropore.
Soult's position to the north and east of the Toulouse, city was exceedingly strong, consisting of the canal April10, of Languedoc, some fortified suburbs, and (to the 1814.
The Spaniards were repulsed, but Beresford gallantly took Mont Rave and Soult fell back behind the canal.
It has daily steamboat connexion with Rotterdam by the Voornsche canal.
The modern town lies almost entirely on the north side of the canal.
The entrance to the canal is in the centre of the outer harbour.
The canal is 2600 ft.
At the end of the canal is a large commercial harbour, beyond which the channel opens into the lake - in reality an arm of the sea - roughly circular in form and covering about 50 sq.
In 1890 a concession for a new canal and harbour was granted to a company, and five years later the new port was formally opened.
Since then the canal has been widened and deepened, and the naval port at Sidi Abdallah created.
The Schwarzenberg canal between the Great MÃ¼hl and the Moldau establishes a direct navigable route between the Danube and the Elbe.
above sea-level, near the sources of the Sarno (anc. Sarnus), a stream connected by canal with Pompeii and the sea.
The Ob-Yenisei canal is ready for use, but its actual usefulness is impaired by the scarcity of water in the smaller streams forming part of the system.
There is connexion with the Severn by canal.
The first portion of the undertaking was completed in 1811, and received the name of the "Escher canal," the river being thus diverted; into the Walensee.
The second portion, known as the "Linth canal," regulated the course of the river between the Walensee and the Lake of Zurich and was completed in 1816.
alimentary canal and liver, 4.
It consists of a definite contractile sac or sacs lying on the dorsal side of the alimentary canal near the oesophagus, and in preparations of Terebratulina made by quickly removing the viscera and examining them in sea-water under a microscope, he was able to count the pulsations, which followed one another at intervals of 30-40 seconds.
He broke with De Witt Clinton in 1813, but nevertheless favoured, in 1817, Clinton's plan for the Erie Canal.
ZABERN (French, Saverne), a town of Germany, in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, district of Lower Alsace, situated on the Rhine-Marne canal at the foot of a pass over the Vosges, and 27 m.
At Inglesham, threequarters of a mile above Lechlade, the Thames and Severn canal has its junction with the Thames.
This canal is the link between the two great rivers from which it takes its name, or, in other words, between the east and west of England.
long, opened in 1789, and joins the Stroudwater canal, which completes the connexion, at Wallbridge near Stroud.
Concurrently with the repair of the canal, the navigation works on the Thames were remodelled at a large cost, and barges drawing 3 ft.
The canals in use communicating with the Thames, in addition to the Thames and Severn canal, are the Oxford canal, giving communication from that city with the north, the Kennet and Avon canal from Reading to the Bristol Avon, the Grand Junction at Brentford, the Regent's canal at Limehouse, and the Grand Surrey canal at Rotherhithe.
A short canal connects Gravesend with Higham.
The Wilts and Berks canal, joining the Thames at Abingdon, is disused.
It is situated on both sides of the river Calder, at the termination of the Rochdale canal.
Under various local names (the Garrigues, the mountains of Espinouse and Lacaune) and with numerous offshoots the range extends south-east and then east to the Montagne Noire, which runs parallel to the Canal du Midi and comes to an end some 25 m.
He acquiesced in the purchase of the Suez Canal shares, a measure then considered dangerous by many people, but ultimately most successful; he accepted the Andrassy Note, but declined to accede to the Berlin Memorandum.
The initial signs of poisoning are referable to the alimentary canal.
BRADFORD-ON-AVON, a market town in the Westbury parliamentary division of Wiltshire, England, on the rivers Avon and Kennet, and the Kennet & Avon Canal, 98 m.
There are extensive coal-mines in the neighbouring district, as at Moira, whence the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal runs south to the Coventry canal.
Bourne (5) to of NC, neural canal or foramen.
GC, Gastric canal or foramen.
AC, Arterial canal or foramen.
These bodies had been erroneously supposed by Newport (12) and other observers to be glandular outgrowths of the alimentary canal.
It " floats " between the prosomatic nerve centres and the alimentary canal.
These are a ventral arch forming a neural canal through which the great nerve cords pass (figs.
3 and 4, snp), and further a dorsal gastric canal and arterial canal which transmit the alimentary tract and the dorsal artery respectively (figs.
Alimentary Canal and Gastric Glands.
- The alimentary canal in Scorpio, as in Limulus, is provided with a powerful suctorial pharynx, in the working of which extrinsic muscles take a part.
The most important difference which exists between the structure of Limulus and that of Scorpio is found in the hinder region of the alimentary canal.
E, Alimentary canal.
al, Alimentary canal.
- The alimentary canal and gastric glands of a scorpion (A) and of Limulus (B).
The alimentary canal is uncoiled and cylindrical, and gives rise laterally to large gastric glands, which are more than a single pair in number (two to six pairs), and may assume the form of simple caeca.
Mulhouse), a town of Germany, in Upper Alsace, on the Ill, an affluent of the Rhine, and the RhineRhone canal, about 56 m.
The old town, surrounded by arms of the Ill, has narrow and irregular streets, while to the south, on the canal, lie the handsome villas and promenades of the new town.
below Xiririca, and communicates with an inland canal or waterway extending for many miles along this coast and known as the Iguape, or Mar Pequeno.
Facilities for boating are limited (excepting on the Forth), but rowing clubs find opportunity for practice and races on the Union Canal, where, however, sailing is scarcely possible.
Three miles to the N.W., at the foot of the Monte Leano, was the shrine of the nymph Feronia, where the canal following the Via Appia through the marshes ended.
There is trade in agricultural produce, wine, metals, &c. The canal from the Rhone to the Rhine passes under the citadel by way of a tunnel, and the port of Besancon has considerable trade in coal, sand, &c.
The first blow was struck at this trade by the discovery of the Cape route to India; the second by the opening of a land route through Egypt to the Red Sea; the third and final one by the making of the Suez Canal.
North of the Tana is the Ozi, a small river connected with the Tana by the Belazoni canal.
(2) A river of the Shahabad district of Bengal, which forms the drainage channel between the Arrah canal and the Sone canals system, and finally falls into the Gangi nadi.
See, for anatomical details, Alimentary Canal.
In the case of pyloric obstruction a permanent opening may be established between the stomach and a neighbouring piece of intestine, so that the food may find its way along the alimentary canal greatly to the relief of the symptoms of gastric dilatation.
The most important canal is the Franz Josef canal between Becse and Bezdan, above Zombor.
A branch of this canal called Uj Csatorna or New Channel, extends from Kis-Sztapar, a few miles below Zombor, to Ujvidek, opposite Petervarad.
The Bega canal runs from Temesvar to Nagy-Becskerek, and thence to Titel, where it flows into the Theiss.
The Versecz and the Berzava canal, which are connected with one another, drain the numerous marshes of the Banat, including the Alibunar marsh.
The Berzava canal ends in the river Temes.
The Sio and the Kapos or Zichy canal between Lake Balaton and the Danube is joined by the Sat-viz canal, which drains the marshes south of Sopron.
The Berettyo canal between the Koros and the Berettyo rivers, and the Kdrds canal along the White Kiirds were constructed in conjunction with the regulation of the Theiss, and for the drainage of the marshy region.
AUBERVILLIERS, Or Aubervilliers-Les-Vertus, a town of northern France, in the department of Seine, on the canal St Denis, 2 m.
of Inverness by road or canal, and was, in bygone days, one of the keys of the Highlands.
Fort William is a popular tourist resort and place of call for the steamers passing through the Caledonian canal.
N., the Caledonian canal begins, the series of locks between here and Banavie - within little more than a mile - being known as "Neptune's Staircase."
Water from the river is carried to factories by a canal on each side of the river and parallel to it; the first canal was built on the north side in1845-1847and is 1 m.
long; the canal on the south side is about 4m.
It is limited towards the north-east by the canal from the Marne to the Rhine, on the south-west by a small arm of the Ornain, called the Canal des Usines, on the left bank of which the upper town (Ville Haute) is situated.
The Regent's Canal skirts the north side of the park.
From 1816 he published various papers in the Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal, which formed the basis of his Pathological and Practical Researches on Diseases of the Brain and Spinal Cord, and of his Researches on the Diseases of the Intestinal Canal, Liver and other Viscera of the Abdomen, both published in 1828.
The Canal du Midi, following the courses of the Fresquel and the Aude, traverses it for 76 m.; and a branch, the Canal de la Robine, which passes through Narbonne to the sea, has a length of 24 m.
BANBURY, a market-town and municipal borough in the Banbury parliamentary division of Oxfordshire, England, on the river Cherwell and the Oxford canal, 86 m.
The canal communicates northward with the Grand Junction and Warwick canals, and there are branch lines of the Great Central railway to the main line at Woodford, and of the London & North-Western railway to Bletchley.
By the Wisbech canal it has communication with the Ouse.
of canal were dug, 5 to 62 ft.
The most noteworthy of these connexions are the Elbe Canal (144 m.
long), the Reek Canal (92 m.), the Riidersdorfer Gewasser (112 m.), the Rheinsberger Canal (1 T4 m.), and the Sacrow-Paretzer Canal (io m.), besides which the Spree has been canalized for a distance of 28 m., and the Elbe for a distance of 70 m.
In 1900 Lubeck was put into direct communication with the Elbe at Lauenburg by the opening of the Elbe-Trave Canal, 42 m.
The canal has been made 72 ft.
In the first year of its being open (June 1900 to June 1901) a total of 115,000 tons passed through the canal.'
This scheme is known as the Midland Canal.
Another canal has been projected for connecting Kiel with the Elbe by means of a canal trained through the Plan Lakes.
But, on the ground of their air-bladder being closed, or deprived of a pneumatic duct communicating with the digestive canal, such as is characteristic of the Malacopterygians, they were removed from them and placed with the flat-fishes, or Pleuronectidae, in a suborder Anacanthini, regarded as intermediate in position between the Acanthopterygians, or spiny-finned fishes, and the Malacopterygians.
True hypertrophy is commonly found in the hollow muscular organs such as the heart, bladder and alimentary canal.
The word "kennel," a gutter, a drain in a street or road, is a corruption of the Middle English canel, cannel, in modern English "channel," from Latin canalis, canal.
A canal joining the Arkansas and Walnut riversfurnishes good water power.
Broussais's chief aim was to find an anatomical basis for all diseases, but he is especially known for his attempt to explain all fevers as a consequence of irritation or inflammation of the intestinal canal (gastroenterite).
Extensive "corrections" of the river bed, especially the canal of Diepoldsau, have been carried out in the lower bit of this part of the valley, while from a little north of Ragatz the right bank belongs first to Liechtenstein and then to the Austrian province of the Vorarlberg.
[[Onteniente Oolite]] that can pass through the Welland canal locks, which are 2 7 0 ft.
deep. Freight consists principally of coal shipped from Charlotte, Great and Little Sodus bays and Oswego to Canadian ports in the lakes, and to ports on the St Lawrence river; of grain shipped through the Welland canal to the St Lawrence; and of lumber from Canadian ports.
in level between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is overcome by the Welland canal, which leads southward from Port Dalhousie.
The Murray canal, opened for traffic on the 14th of April 1890, extends from Presqu'ile bay, on the north of the lake, to the head of the bay of Quinte, and enables vessels to avoid 70 m.
At Kingston the Rideau canal, extending 128 m.
It lies on the navigable Bega canal and on the river Bega, and consists of the inner town, formerly strongly fortified, and of four outlying suburbs.
Her body was thrown into a neighbouring canal and was only recovered some months later.
In addition to this the Mandalay Canal, 40 m.
in length, with fourteen distributaries was opened in 1902; the Shwebo canal, 27 m.
in length, and of the Mon canal, begun in 1904, 53 m.
Remains of a Roman glass manufactory of considerable extent were discovered near the Manchester Ship Canal at Warrington.
The former flows partly round its walls, the latter through the town; and it has canal communication with the lagoons.
These equations were found by d'Alembert from two principles - that a rectangular canal, taken in a mass of fluid in equilibrium, is itself in equilibrium, and that a portion of the fluid, in passing from one place to another, preserves the same volume when the fluid is incompressible, or dilates itself according to a given law when the fluid is elastic. His ingenious method, published in 1752, in his Essai sur la resistance des fluides, was brought to perfection in his Opuscules mathematiques, and was adopted by Leonhard Euler.
C. Cunningham's experiments on the Ganges canal.
1, § 12); but these depend upon the state of the Hindiya canal, disappearing altogether when it is closed.
The three chief of them carried off the waters of the Euphrates to the Tigris above Babylon, - the Zabzallat canal (or Nahr Sarsar) running from Faluja to Ctesiphon, the Kutha canal from Sippara to Madain, passing Tell Ibrahim or Kutha on the way, and the King's canal or Ar-Malcha between the other two.
Meissner may be right in identifying it with " the Canal of the Sun-god " of the early texts.
Abu-Habba lies south-west of Bagdad, midway between the Euphrates and Tigris, on the south side of a canal, which may once have represented the main stream of the Euphrates, Sippara of the goddess Anunit, now Der, being on its opposite bank.
WHITEHALL, a village of Washington (disambiguation)|Washington county, New York, U.S.A., in a township of the same name on the Poultney river and the Champlain Canal, at the head of Lake Champlain, and 78 m.
Passing northward by Nanking and crossing the Yangtsze-kiang, Odoric embarked on the Great Canal and travelled to Cambalec (otherwise Cambaleth, Cambaluc, &c.) or Peking, where he remained for three years, attached, no doubt, to one of the churches founded by Archbishop John of Monte Corvino, at this time in extreme old age.
The clear juice when it arrives at the top of the separator flows slowly over the level edges of, a cross canal and passes in a continuous stream to the service tanks of the evaporators or vacuum pan.
The clear juice in the meantime flows over the edge of the cylindrical vessel without disturbance and finds its way out by the short leg of the siphon, and so passes to the canal for collecting the defecated juice.
By carefully watching the flow from the discharge cock of the cistern the change from the first liquor to the next is easily detected, and the discharge is diverted from the canal for the first liquor to the canal for the second liquor, and, when required, to the canals for the third and fourth liquors.
It is traversed by a canal from which a peculiar proboscis-like structure can be exserted.
E., the connexions of the generative organs, lettering as above: o.d., o.d., oviducts; f., fertilizing canal; X 30.
This last tube is probably the homologue of Laurer's canal (Goto, 8).
We therefore regard the body of a Cestode as a single organism within which the gonads have become segmented, and the segmentation of the body as a secondary phenomenon associated with diffuse osmotic feeding in the narrow intestinal canal.
- For practical purposes we have only three varieties of tapeworms to deal with as inhabitants of the human alimentary canal: Taenia saginata, the beef tapeworm; Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm; and Dibothriocephalus latus, the fish tapeworm.
of the Tsien-tang-Kiang, at the southern terminus of the Grand canal, by which it communicates with Peking.
It is connected with Shanghai by inland canal, which is navigable for boats drawing up to 4 ft.
The cities of Shanghai, Hangchow and Suchow form the three points of a triangle, each being connected with the other by canal, and trade is now open by steam between all three under the inland navigation rules.
BERGUES, a town of northern France, in the department of Nord, at the junction of the canal of the Colme with canals to Dunkirk and Fumes (in Belgium), 5 m.
In 1866 South Beveland and Walcheren were joined by a heavy railway dam, a canal being cut through the middle of the former island to restore the connexion between the East and West Scheldt.
The principal towns in Walcheren are Middelburg, the chief town of the province, Flushing and Veere; all three connected by a canal (1867-72) which divides the island in two.
Ter Neuzen was strongly fortified in 1833-39, and has a flourishing transit trade, as the port of Ghent, by the canal constructed in 1825-27.
A broad stream or canal crosses the city from south to north, and forms the principal highway for boat traffic. The main trade of the place is in raw silk, but some silk fabrics, such as flowered crape (chousha), are also manufactured.
of Glasgow by the North British railway, and also communicates with Glasgow by the Monkland Canal (which passes within 1 m.
The canal was constructed between 1761 and 1790, and connects with the Forth and Clyde Canal near Maryhill.
Wales, in the upper Severn valley, on the Montgomeryshire canal and the Cambrian railway, 8 m.
by the Suez Canal; I'enin- its length from El Arish to its most southern point is sula.
It is a fairly prosperous city, supplied with admirable water by an underground aqueduct from the Hindieh canal, a few miles to the north, which also serves to water the gardens in the deep dry bed of the former lake.
The eastern half of the district is watered by the Agra canal, which is navigable, and the western half by branches of the Ganges canal.
Only an arm of the river, the Danube Canal, so called because it was - regulated and widened in 1598, passes through the city, dividing it into two unequal parts.
In conjunction with this work the entire Danube Canal has been transformed into a harbour by the construction of a lock at its entrance, while increased accommodation for shipping has also been provided at the other end of the canal known as the winter harbour.
Into the Danube Canal flows the small stream, called Wien, now arched over almost in its entirety.
Vienna extends along the right bank of the Danube from the historic and legendary Kahlenberg to the point where the Danube Canal rejoins the main stream, being surrounded on the other side by a considerable stretch of land which is rather rural than suburban in character.
Leopoldstadt which together with Brigittenau are the only districts on the left bank of the Danube Canal, is the chief commercial quarter, and is inhabited to a great extent by Jews.
On the north side the Ring-Strasse gives place to the spacious Franz Josef's quay, flanking the Danube Canal.
Parks, &c. - The Prater, a vast expanse (2000 acres) of wood and park on the east side of the city, between the Danube and the Danube Canal, is greatly frequented by all classes.
The opposition of the United States was due very largely to the fear that Great Britain would acquire a privileged position in regard to the proposed interoceanic canal.
Roudaire proposed to cut a canal through the belt of high ground between Gabes and the shats, and fixed on Wad Melah, a spot To m.
They are called by the French (with their usual inaccuracy of pronunciation and spelling) "chotts"; the word should really be the Arabic shat, an Arab term for a broad canal, an estuary or lake.
It is the terminus of the Forth and Clyde Canal, from the opening of which (1789) its history may be dated.
Experiments in steam navigation were carried out in 1802 with the "Charlotte Dundas" on the Forth and Clyde Canal at Grangemouth.
Tnis duct (Laurer's canal) is sometimes rudimentary and ends blindly beneath the skin.
Its further development takes place partly in the branchial chamber and partly in the bladder, which it reaches by travelling the whole length of the alimentary canal.
This structure is regarded as the homologue of a canal (Laurer's canal) which in the Heterocotylea opens into the (After Monticelli.
A canal (Laurer's canal) leads from the oviduct or yolk-duct to the dorsal surface.
They are usually found in the alimentary canal or its appendages but occasionally work their way into the serous cavities, nervous system and blood vessels.