The atmosphere on campus was electric!
During this period the Salii took part in certain other festivities: the Equirria (Ecurria) on the i 4th, a chariot race in honour of Mars on the Campus Martius (in later times called Mamuralia, in honour of Mamurius), at which a skin was beaten with staves in imitation of hammering; the Quinquatrus on the 19th, a one-day festival, at which the shields were cleansed; the Tubilustrium on the 23rd, when the trumpets of the priests were purified.
She walked from the hospital campus to a crowded sidewalk that ran beside a main street.
2) described what appears to have been the same plant under the name of spartum, whence the designation campus spartarius for the region surrounding New Carthage.
14, before a great crowd in the Campus Martius, Augustus took part in the solemn concluding ceremony of burying away out of sight the old age and inaugurating the new.
The American University (chartered 1893), under Methodist Episcopal control, designed to bear a relation to the Protestant churches similar to that of the Catholic University to the Catholic Church, with a campus of 94 acres at the north-west end of the city, in 1910 had not been opened to students.
The university campus is the former City Park, in the southern part of the city.
It had in 1909 a property of 2345 acres (of which 1000 were farm lands, 1145 pasture and wood lands, and 200 school campus), and loo buildings, many of brick, and nearly all designed and constructed, even to the making of the bricks, by the teachers and students.
The university of Pittsburgh, established in 1908 by assembling the scattered departments of what was the Western University of Pennsylvania, and taking over 43 ac. near the Carnegie Institute for a campus, grew rapidly in its new location, and in 1920 numbered 4,979 students.
The Van Rensselaer manor-house, built in 1765, was pulled down in 1893 and was reconstructed on the campus of Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts, where it is used as a fraternity club-house.
Tree-worship again is a constantly recurring feature, seen, for instance, in the permanently sacred character of the ficus Ruminalis and the caprcus of the Campus Martius, and above all in the oak of luppiter Feretrius, on which the spolia opima were hung after a victory.
The property of the Macdonald College at Ste Anne de Bellevue comprises 561 acres, of which 74 acres are devoted to campus and field-research plots, ioo acres to a petite culture farm and 387 acres to a live-stock and grain farm.
There are also a chapel, a gymnasium, a hospital, and on the summit of Mount Jefferson Hill, a mile south-west of the campus, is the M ` Cormick Observatory.
On the day of the funeral it was borne to the Campus Martius on the shoulders of senators and there burnt.
2 By Nero's orders, the open spaces in the Campus Martius were utilized to give shelter to the homeless crowds, provisions were brought from Ostia and the price of corn lowered.
Some ground was purchased for its campus in 1854, but it was actually founded by an act of 1864, amended in 1866, 1868 and 1872.
Aemilius Regillus, after a naval victory over Antiochus (190 B.C.), vowed a temple in the Campus Martius, which was dedicated by M.
1858) and opened in 1873, occupies a number of handsome buildings erected since 1895 on a campus of 43 acres in Burnet Woods Park, has an astronomical observatory on the highest point of Mt.
Philadelphia, PA 19104(215) 895-3490www.pizzarusticaonline.com Penne Restaurant & Wine Bar At the Hilton Inn at Penn near the U Penn campus and the Annenberg center you'll find one of newest additions to the Italian dining scene in Philly.
While there is neither a cliff nor a mile-long stairway in sight, you can work up an appetite walking the U Penn campus and strolling along the Schuylkill River where rowers from area schools buck the currents in their sleek eight-seaters.
Downtown555 Nicollet MallNeiman Marcus Wing - Street LevelMinneapolis MN 55402Uptown2210 Hennepin Avenue SouthMinneapolis, MN 55405 Loring Pasta Bar Loring Pasta Bar is located in the Dinkytown neighborhood, near the University of Minnesota Campus.
Rock-A-Belly Bar & Grill Across from the Kansas State University campus, Rock-A-Belly Bar & Grill is a great place for food, drinks and fun.
Syracuse, NY 13206(315) 218-0294 Alto Cinco Nestled on a hip street just east of Syracuse University's campus, Alto Cinco boasts a majority of vegetarian dishes--a rarity in Mexican cuisine.
Lexington, KY 40515(859) 245-9504shamrocksky.com Lynagh's Irish Pub & Grill Located blocks from the University of Kentucky campus, this laid-back neighborhood pub is a convenient stop for cheap food and beer.
Christy's and Lendhardt's-German and Hungarian Cuisine Christy's is located in Clifton near the University of Cincinnati campus.
Chicago, IL 60605(312) 922-1127oysysushi.com Restaurants near Museum Campus / Soldier Field Start the day eating breakfast with the family at Yolk.
Syracuse University students especially appreciate the venue because it's the only pizza place that delivers to its campus.
Located in the shopping center by Walmart a few miles away from campus, this local favorite offers an extensive menu.
Boulder, Colorado, is located 35 miles northwest of the Mile High City, Denver and is home to the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the main campus of the University of Colorado.
Chai's Thai Chai's is a tiny, well-hidden secret in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood, near the University of Minnesota campus.
Near the centre of the city are the Capitol Grounds (27 acres; until 1872 the campus of Trinity College) and Bushnell Park (41 acres), adjoining Capitol Park.
The comitia curiata and the two assemblies of the tribes met within the walls, the former usually in the Comitium, the latter in the Forum or on the Area Capitolii; but the elections at these assemblies were in the later Republic held in the Campus Martius outside the walls.
Syracuse University, whose campus (of zoo acres) in the south-east part of the city commands a fine view of the lake, is a co-educational institution largely under Methodist Episcopal control, but not sectarian, which in1908-1909had 239 instructors and 3205 students (1336 in the college of liberal arts; 189 in the summer school; 62 in the library school; 933 in the college of fine arts; 147 in the college of medicine; 179 in the college of law; 401 in the college of applied science; and 78 in the teachers' college).
Corner, and is the seat of Dartmouth College, which has a strikingly beautiful campus, and among its buildings several excellent examples of the colonial style, notably Dartmouth Hall.
The first on record, representing an engagement between a Tyrian and an Egyptian fleet, was given by Julius Caesar (46 B.C.) on a lake which he constructed in the Campus Martius.
The correlative of the Via Salaria was the Via Campana, so called because it led past the grove of the Arvales along the right bank of the Tiber to the Campus Salinarum Romanarum,' the salt marshes, from which the Via Salaria took its name, inasmuch as it was the route by which Sabine traders came from the interior to fetch the salt.
Arrone - though the ancient name does not occur in literature - the stream which forms the outlet to the lake of Bracciano, anc. Lacus Sabatinus),2 Sabatina (called after this lake), Stellatina (named from the Campus Stellatinus, near Capena; cf.
Campus Tromentus, the situation of which we do not know).
On the western border of the city is Pullen Park (about 40 acres), including the campus of the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts;.
The two armies met in 507 at the Campus Vogladensis, near Poitiers, where the Goths were defeated, and their king, who took to flight, was overtaken and slain, it is said, by Clovis himself.
From the college campus; and a Military Institute at Roswell (pop. 1900, 2006; county-seat of Chaves county).
The campus of the university is the former barracks of the Baton Rouge garrison, occupied by the college since 1886 and transferred to it by the Federal government in 1902.
Fell before the Frankish arms at Campus Vogladensis, near Poitiers, and his kingdom, as a great power north of the Alps, fell with him.
The usual funeral panegyric was pronounced on him in the Forum, and the people would have had him buried by the side of Sulla in the Campus Martius, but at his brother's request he was laid in his splendid villa at Tusculum.
Stretching in a semicircle round the broad campus are the library, the medical building, the biology building and museum, the school of practical science, the geology and chemistry buildings and the convocation hall, their architecture varying very greatly, beauty having been sacrificed to more practical considerations; the magnetic observatory is also in the grounds, but is overshadowed by some of the more recent erections.
201), stood in the Campus Martius, near the Flaminian Circus, and outside the gates of the city.
Central part of the campus is the university library building, which, with an endowment (1891) of $300,000 for the purchase of books and periodicals, was the gift of Henry Williams Sage (1814-1897), second president of the board of trustees; in 1906 it received an additional endowment fund of about $500,000 by the bequest of Prof. Willard Fiske.
East of the campus is the university playground and athletic field (55 acres), built with funds raised from the alumni.
In 1909 the invested funds of the university amounted to about $8,594,300, yielding an annual income of about $428,800; the income from state and nation was about $232,050, and from tuition fees about $336,100; the campus and buildings were valued at about $4,263,400, and the Library, collections, apparatus, &c. at about $1,826,100.
On the 7th of October 1868 the Cornell University opened with some confusion due to the condition of the campus, and to the presence of 412 would-be pupils, many of whom expected to " work their way through."
On the university campus in the quadrangle is the monument of grey granite erected over the grave of Thomas Jefferson, designed after his own plans, and bearing the famous inscription written by him.
He made a phantom appearance once every spring at the opening of the great annual national convention.
Toward the river from this was established another focal point called the Campus Martius, 600 ft.
Running north from the river through the Campus Martius and the Grand Circus is Woodward Avenue, 120 ft.
Of the public buildings the city hall (erected 1868-1871), overlooking the Campus Martius, is in Renaissance style, in three storeys; the flagstaff from the top of the tower reaches a height of 200 ft.
The principal ones are the Merrill fountain and the soldiers' monument on the Campus Martius, and a statue of Mayor Pingree in West Grand Circus Park.
Their heads were cut off and despatched to Rome, where they were burnt on the Campus Martius by the exultant crowd.
He was accorded a magnificent public funeral, his body being removed to Rome and buried in the Campus Martius.
His name is chiefly associated with the quarrels between Lothair and Louis the Pious, in which he espoused the cause of the former, for whom, in the Campus Mendacii (Liigenfeld, field of lies), as it is usually called (833), he secured by his treachery a temporary advantage.
In the Lee Memorial chapel, on the campus, General Robert E.
On the college campus are beautiful groves containing several hundred varieties of trees, and in a central position stands a campanile with excellent chimes.
In December 1 9 07 it .was decided that the several departments of the Western University of Pennsylvania, then in different parts of the city, should be brought together on a new campus of 43 acres near the Carnegie Institute.
Of the Roman processions, the most prominent was that of the Triumph, which had its origin in the return of the victorious army headed by the general, who proceeded in great pomp from the Campus to the Capitol to offer sacrifice, accompanied by the army, captives, spoils, the chief magistrate, priests bearing the images of the gods, amidst strewing of flowers, burning of incense and the like (Ovid, Trist.
The pseudo-classicism of the period of Marietta's foundation is indicated by the names - Capitolium for one of the public squares, Sacra Via for one of the principal streets, and Campus Martius for the fortification.
Its campus is finely situated on a hill above the main part of the city; it lies between Fall Creek and Cascadilla Creek (each of which has cut a deep gorge), and commands a beautiful view of the valley and of Lake Cayuga.