Camisards sentence example
- Camisards >>
- About this time the French prophets, Camisards, as they were called, attracted much attention by their extravagances and follies.
- In 1705 he commanded against the Camisards in Languedoc, and when on this expedition he is said to have carried out his orders with remorseless rigour.
- Basnage had welcomed the revival of the Protestant church due to the zeal of Antoine Court; but he assured the regent that no danger of active resistance was to be feared from it, and, true to the principles of Calvin, he denounced the rebellion of the Camisards in his Instructions pastorales aux Reformes de France sur l'obeissance due aux souverains (Paris, 1720), which was printed by order of the court and scattered broadcast in the south of France.
- This was the signal for a Huguenot renaissance, and the Camisards of the,Cflvennes held the royal armies in check from 1703 to I 7.Advertisement
- He wrote, amongst other works, a Histoire des troubles des Cevennes ou de la guerre des Camisards (1760).
- The chief historical event in the history of the Cevennes is the revolt of the Camisards in the early years of the 18th century (see CAMISARDS)