' Letters to Sir Joseph Williamson (Camden Soc., 1874), i.
His Political Memoranda were edited by Oscar Browning for the Camden Society in 1884, and there are eight volumes of his official correspondence in the British Museum.
And Foreign; Foxe's Acts and Monuments; Strype's Memorials of Cranmer (1694); Anecdotes and Character of Archbishop Cranmer, by Ralph Morice, and two contemporary biographies (Camden Society's publications); Remains of Thomas Cranmer, by Jenkyns (1833); Lives of Cranmer, by Gilpin (1784), Todd (1831), Le Bas, in Hook's Lives of the Archbishops of Canterbury, vols.
Some personal matter is contained in Wardrobe Accounts of Henry, Earl of Derby (Camden Soc.).
Of England, daughter of Sir Thomas Boleyn, afterwards earl of Wiltshire and Ormonde, and of Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Howard, earl of Surrey, afterwards duke of Norfolk, was born, according to Camden, in 1507, but her birth has been ascribed, though not conclusively, to an earlier date (to 1502 or 1501) by some later writers.'
Cavendish (1641, rep. Harleian Misc. 1810 v.); C. Wriothesley's Chronicle (Camden Soc., 1875-1877); Notes and Queries, 8 ser., viii.
Camden describes the wonder with which O'Neill's wild gallowglasses were seen in the English capital, with their heads bare, their long hair falling over their shoulders and clipped short in front above the eyes, and clothed in rough yellow shirts.
This masterly attack upon Blackstone's praises of the English constitution was variously attributed to Lord Mansfield, Lord Camden and Lord Ashburton.
Camden, about the end of the 17th century, wrote that "the people are very industrious, so that though the soil about it be barren and improfitable, not fit to live on, they have so flourished..
The mortuary chapel attached to the Roman Catholic church of St Mary was built to receive the body of Napoleon III., who died at Camden Place in 1873; and that of his son was brought hither in 1879.
Camden Place was built by William Camden, the antiquary, in 1609, and in 1765 gave the title of Baron Camden to Lord Chancellor Pratt.
Munday, Camden, Stow, Braithwaite, Fuller, &c.
Beyond Camden, was nearly completed by the United States government in 1909.
5 See Machyn's Diary (Camden Soc. 42; London, 1848), p. 208, for St Bartholomew's day, 1559: "All the roods, and Maries and Johns, and many other of the church goods, both copes, crosses, censers, altar cloths, rood cloths, books, banners,.
In the battle of Camden he was badly wounded and captured, remaining a prisoner for more than a year.
Camden gave currency to the derivation of the word from the combination of the names Thame and Isis.
Some doubt exists concerning Geoffrey's share in the compilation of the Vita et mors Edwardi II., usually attributed to Sir Thomas de la More, or Moor, and printed by Camden in his Anglica scripta.
It has been maintained by Camden and others that More wrote an account of Edward's reign in French, and that this was translated into Latin by Geoffrey and used by him in compiling his Chronicon.
De nugis curialium and the Latin Poems attributed to Map have been edited for the Camden Society by T.
It passed Kentish Town, Camden Town and King's Cross, and followed a line approximating to King's Cross Road.
The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is in Red Lion Square, and the Royal Veterinary College at Camden Town.
Arnold, London Chronicle (1811); A Chrcnicle of London from 1089 to 1483 written in the Fifteenth Century (1827); William Gregory's Chronicle of London,1189-1469 (1876); Historical Collections of a Citizen of London, edited by James Gairdner (Camden Society, 1876); Chronicles of London [1200-1516], edited by C. L.
Curante Thoma Stapleton (Camden Society, 1846); Chronicles of the Mayors and Sheriffs of London 1188-1274, translated from the Liber de Antiquis Legibus by H.
BULLI, a town of Camden county, New South Wales, Australia, 59 m.
Gardiner for the Camden Society (1877); Hist.
The Chronica Maiorum et Vicecomitum, with the other contents of Arnold's common-place book, were edited for the Camden Society by T.
The Perceval was edited from the Mons text by Potvin (6 vols., 1866-1871); Syr Percyvelle of Galles, in The Thornton Romances, by Halliwell (1844) for the Camden Society.
Thompson for the Camden Society (2 vols., London, 1878); Laurence Eachard, History of England (3 vols., London, 1707-1718); and the Histories of England by Lingard, Von Ranke and Macaulay.
It is served by the Pennsylvania railway, the Camden & Trenton railway (an electric line, forming part of the line between Philadelphia and New York) and by freight and passenger steamboat lines on the Delaware.
The Camden & Amboy railway, begun in 1831 and completed from Bordentown to South Amboy (34 m.) in 1832, was one of the first railways in the United States; in September 1831 the famous engine "Johnny Bull," built in England and imported for this railway, had its first trial at Bordentown, and a monument now marks the site where the first rails were laid.
Here he was affected by the Oxford movement, and helped to found the Camden (afterwards the Ecclesiological) Society.
After some delay the British government decided to return no definite answer to this proposal, a result due, as Talleyrand thought, to the Gallophobe views of King George and of the ministers Camden and Thurlow.
He delighted to move among the people, and yet found time to meet with a society of antiquaries, of which Raleigh, Sidney, Burleigh, Arundel, the Herberts, Saville, Stow and Camden were members.
CAMDEN, a town and the county-seat of Kershaw county, South Carolina, U.S.A., near the Wateree river, 33 m.
Pop. (1890) 3533; (1900) 2441; this decrease was due to the separation from Camden during the decade of its suburb "Kirkwood," which was re-annexed in 1905.
Camden is situated about 100 ft.
Camden, first known as Pine Tree Hill, is one of the oldest interior towns of the state, having been settled in 1758; in 1768 the present name was adopted in honour of Lord Chancellor Camden.
For a year following the capture of Charleston by the British in May 1780, during the War of Independence, Camden was the centre of important military operations.
Nathanael Greene, who after Cornwallis had left the Carolinas, advanced on Camden and arrived in the neighbourhood on the 19th of April 1781.
Considering his force (about 1450) insufficient for an attack on the fortifications, he withdrew a short distance north of Camden to an advantageous position on Hobkirk's Hill, where on the 25th of April Rawdon, with a force of only 950, took him somewhat by surprise and drove him from the field.
Army entered Camden and burned stores of tobacco and cotton, and several buildings.
Kennedy, Historic Camden (Columbia, S.C., 1905).
In November 1903 a syndicate was of Grant (1575) was succeeded by that of Camden (1 595), founded mainly on a Paduan text-book, and apparently adopted in 1596 by Sir Henry Savile at Eton, where it long remained in use as the Eton Greek Grammar, while at Westminster itself it was superseded by that of Busby (1663).
Pedigrees, elaborated by Cecil himself with the help of Camden, the antiquary, associated him with the Cecils or Sitsyllts of Altyrennes in Herefordshire, and traced his descent from an Owen of the time of King Harold and a Sitsyllt of the reign of Rufus.
(56 vols.); Camden's Annales; Holinshed, Stow and Speed's Chron.; Hayward's Annals; Machyn's Diary, Leycester Corr., Egerton Papers (Camden Soc.).
Of Queen Jane (Camden Soc.), and throughout Froude's Hist.
Mr Conyers Read, who edited the Bardon Papers (" Camden" ser.
Rched towards Camden, S.C., and on the 16th of August encountered Cornwallis near that place.
Greene, cautiously avoiding another Camden, retreated with his forces intact.
On the 25th of April 1781 he was surprised in his camp at Hobkirk's Hill, near Camden, by Lord Rawdon and defeated, both sides suffering about an equal loss.
Halliwell, was published by the Camden Society in 1842.
A subsequent bishop obtained a grant of a fair on St Bartholomew's day, which according to Camden (circa 1585), had become almost "the most thronged" cattle fair in England, but is no longer held.
Gairdner for Camden Soc.) and Chronicle of London (ed.
In 1841 the ancient church of the Holy Sepulchre at Cambridge was robbed of most of its interest by a calamitous " restoration " carried out under the superintendence and partly at the charge of the Camden Society.
Both Camden and Fuller mention the trade in barrelled oysters and candied eringo-root.
In 1770 he was invited by the duke of Grafton, when Camden was dismissed from the chancellorship, to take his seat on the woolsack.
Migne), Walter Map (Camden Society, 1841, 1850) and the letters of Gilbert Foliot (ed.
Williams met his death at Erromanga in 1839, but he had established a training school on Rarotonga, and bought a ship, the " Camden," which was of the greatest service for the work.
Having conscientious objections to taking orders he relinquished his fellowship in 1666, but in 1688 he was elected Camden professor of history at Oxford.
In 1852 a movement was made to develop it as a seaside resort for Philadelphia, and after the completion of the Camden & Atlantic City railway in 1854 the growth of the place was rapid.
It was so obvious that several of the names had no right to figure on the roll, that Camden, as did Dugdale after him, held them to have been interpolated at various times by the monks, "not without their own advantage."
It was first used during the 16th century because of the belief held by Camden and other older historians, that during this period there were exactly seven kingdoms in England, these being Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex and Wessex.
Corinne's Place Offering both sit-down meals and a popular catering service, Corinne's is the place to go in Camden for soul food.