Callisto sentence example
- The Greeks identified this constellation with the nymph Callisto, placed in the heavens by Zeus in the form of a bear together with her son Arcas as " bear-warder," or Arcturus; they named it Arctos, the she-bear, Helice, from its turning round the pole-star.
- Zeus, to conceal the amour, changed Callisto into a she-bear; Hera, however, discovered it, and persuaded Artemis to slay Callisto, who was placed amongst the stars as iiptcros (" the bear").
- There is no doubt that Callisto is identical with Artemis; her name is an obvious variation of KaXMiaTrt, a frequent epithet of the goddess, to whom a temple was erected on the hill where Callisto was supposed to be buried.
- Callisto >>
- Callisto was originally a bear-goddess worshipped in Arcadia, identified with Artemis, when nothing remained of the original animal-worship but name and ritual.Advertisement
- The worship of Callisto being merged in that of the greater divinity, she became the handmaid and companion of Artemis.
- On the other hand, the Artemis of Arcadia, who is confused with the nymph Callisto, who, again, is said to have become a she-bear, and later a star, and the Brauronian Artemis, whose maiden ministers danced a bear-dance, are goddesses whose legend seems unnatural, .and is felt to need explanation.
- laryngoscope blade at a throw away price - Callisto.
- Disguising himself as Apollo, brother of Artemis, he overcame any scruples Callisto may have had and they became lovers.
- 410), where Callisto became the constellation Ursa Major, and Arcas the star Arcturus (see Lycaon and Callisto).Advertisement
- Her death at the hands of the latter was explained by the wrath of the goddess - in her later aspect as goddess of chastity - at Callisto's amour with Zeus '(see A.
- It has been mentioned that Callisto, Iphigeneia, Eilithyia, are only Artemis under different names; to these may be added Adrasteia, Atalanta, Helen, Leto and others (see Wernicke in Pauly-Wissowa's Realencyclopddie).
- Callisto has a very tenuous atmosphere composed of carbon dioxide.
- Different styles available in this line include the Wings Automatic, the Crosswind, Crosswind Racing, Crosswind Special, Headwind, Callisto, Callistino, Blackbird, and the B-Class.
- Subsequently Areas, when hunting, chanced to pursue his mother Callisto, who had been transformed into a bear, as far as the temple of Lycaean Zeus; to prevent the crime of matricide Zeus transported them both to the heavens (Ovid, Metam.Advertisement
- According to the legend, Callisto, an Arcadian nymph, became by Zeus the mother of Arcas, the eponymous hero of the Arcadians.