On the 9th of June 1405 Chicheley was admitted, in succession to his father, to a burgage in Higham Ferrers.
On the 9th of January 1405 he found time to attend a court at Higham Ferrers and be admitted to a burgage there.
There are traces of burgage tenure at Horsham in 1210, and it was called a borough in 1236.
Holograph or duly tested, do not exceed 31 years, or, except as regards leases of mines and minerals, and of lands held by burgage tenure, relate to an extent of land exceeding 50 acres, and contain provisions for renewal, they may be recorded for publication in the Register of Sasines, and such publication has the effect of possession (Registration of Leases [Scotland] Act 1857).
Since the Conveyancing (Scotland) Act 1874, there is, however, not much distinction between burgage tenure and free holding.
The reason for the system preserving for so long its specifically distinct form in Scottish conveyancing was because burgage-holding was an exception to the system of subinfeudation which remained prevalent in Scotland when it was suppressed in England.
It is curious that while in England the burgage-tenure was deemed a species of socage, to distinguish it from the military holdings, in Scotland it was strictly a military holding, by the service of watching and warding for the defence of the burgh.
Tenure by burgage was subject to a variety of customs, the principal of which was Borough-English.
In 1 292 William de Tabley, lord of both Over and Nether Knutsford, granted free burgage to his burgesses in both Knutsfords.
The borough is again mentioned in 1487-1488, when John Plecy held six messuages in free burgage of the king as of his borough of Wimborne, but it seems to have been entirely prescriptive, and was never a parliamentary borough.
Made a grant to the abbot and convent of Whitby of a burgage in the vill of Whitby, and Richard de Waterville, abbot 1175-1190, granted the town in free burgage to the burgesses.
As early as 1231 the town seems to have had some form of burghal organization, since in that year a burgage there is mentioned in a fine.
In 1249 John Mansel granted by charter to the burgesses that each should have five roods of land to his burgage as freehold on payment of 12d.
It confirms to his free burgesses of Esse the liberties enjoyed by them under his ancestors, viz.: burgage tenure, exemption from all jurisdiction save the "hundred court of the said town," suit of court limited to three times a year, a reeve of their own election, pasturage in his demesne lands on certain terms, a limited control of trade and shipping, and a fair in the middle of the town.
The parliamentary franchise was enjoyed by the mayor, aldermen and the holders of burgage tenements.
The latter he acquired by purchasing the burgage tenures of Old Sarum.
For every burgage, all services, customs and secular demands belonging to him and his heirs, except tallage.
Several of the Plantagenet kings visited the town, including Richard II., who stopped here some time on his return from Ireland in 1299, and is said to have performed here his last regal act - the confirmation of the grant of a burgage to the Friars Preachers.
In a borough a similar holding was called a burgage tenement.